A-Z Of International Footballers | Vital Football

A-Z Of International Footballers

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
As we are in the midst of International games at the moment let's see how may past or present footballers we can find - any age, any country first or last names or even nicknames!

A ALLAN Clarke - played nineteen times for England while in probably the best Leeds United team between 1970 and 1975. He was one of five footballing brothers but I think he was the only one to represent his country.

Saw him play against the Millers in the FA Cup.
-----------------------------------------------------
B BOBBY Moore - England World Cup wiining captain ... or Bobby Charlton , also a World Cup winner and known to football fans around the world. Saw Bobby Charlton play against the Millers in the FA Cup.

Last edited:
C COLIN Bell - sadly passed away early this year. Made forty-eight appearances for England from 1968-1975. He was awarded an MBE for services to the community in 2004.

Saw him play against the Millers - great player
-------------------------------------------------------------
D DAVID Watson - Ex-Miller and England player. 121 league appearances/19 goals for the Millers and 65 caps/4 goals for England. Sadly now suffering from dementia.

Last edited:
E EDERSON - Brazilian goalkeeper playing for Manchester City. Played against us in 2019 in an FA Cup game, wasn't bothered much!!

I know... I was there :(.
Wiles did at least have have a shot in the last few minutes - don't think anybody else did!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F Johnny FANTHAM - Millers striker from the late 60s/early 70s. One cap for England (well before he joined us). He was past his best when playing for us, but not bad in Division 3.

or... Shane FERGUSON - current Miller who has just scored the winner for Northern Ireland tonight in Estonia. (y)
That's his 50th N. Ireland cap tonight too.

Just missing out - FRANK Casper. If he had played for more "fashionable" clubs than us and Burnley, I am convinced that he would have been capped for England. Very skkillful player, and Burnley fans will tell you the same.

Last edited:
G - Gary Mabbutt - played in defence for Spurs and England. Always seemed a ‘ nice man’!

Yes. Think he has been involved in various player welfare campaigns for the PFA.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H HARRY Kane - now level with Michael Owen as England's 5th highest goalscorer, with 40 goals.
Greaves, Lineker, Charlton and Rooney are still ahead of him. (Greaves scored 44 goals).

Last edited:
I Denis IRWIN - had over fifty appearances for Republic of Ireland - probably one of the best left-backs ever to play in the Premier League - in my humble opinion.

Cruyff has got to be in the top ten in football history.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
K KEITH Pring - Millers winger from the 1960s. . Good player. Three caps for Wales

M MICHAEL Owen - joint fifth highest England goalscorer. Harry Kane (see previous post) caught him up a few days ago. Currently a tv pundit.

or... Ray MIELCZAREK - Millers centre-back from the early 1970's. One cap for Wales. Not the most subtle, but always got stuck in. He had to retire due to a cruciate ligament injury.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N NORMAN Hunter - England player and Millers manager. 28 England caps. He was a key player for Leeds United in the Revie era , and also ran a sports shop in Leeds (where I once met him). Sadly died due to a Covid infection in 2020.

Last edited:
O - Ozil, Mesut -
German International, though I believe his parents are Turkish. Played in midfield for Arsenal (sometimes!)
Now plays for Turkish club Fenerbahce.

P PHIL PARKES - goalkeeper who had one cap for England

or

PAUL PARKER - who played nineteen games in an England shirt

There were two top division keepers called "Phil Parkes" from roughly the same era! The one who appeared for England , played for QPR and West Ham. The other one, who was a good keeper too, played for Wolves.
-----------------------------------------------------
Q Stephen QUINN - 18 caps for the Republic of Ireland. "Little Quinny" turned out to be a good signing when the Millers loaned him from the Blades. He helped to turn around a season in which the Millers looked in danger of relegation at one stage. Still playing, now at Mansfield Town.

Last edited:
Speaking of ex Wolves players as Mike was

S STEVE Bull - made thirteen appearances for England after making a handful of appearances for the 'B' team. Never did as well for his country as for Wolves.

T TOM Finney - England and Preston N.E. winger. 76 England caps. Saw him play in Danny Williams' testimonial game (briefly) at Millmoor in the 1960's.