A-Z Of Herbs and Spices | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Herbs and Spices

I like ginger in anything! On holiday a few years ago they did a ginger ice cream with bits of ginger in it - delicious!
I like ginger in anything! On holiday a few years ago they did a ginger ice cream with bits of ginger in it - delicious!
Not sure what happened there!!!

At the Lyceum they sell tubs of lemon and (stem) ginger ice-cream - fabulous!

J - Juniper. The berries have been used for centuries as a table spice and in marinades and spirits. Dried berries also used as meat rubs with salt, garlic and pepper for game and lamb.

K KAVA KAVA - found in the Pacific Islands and used in a medicinal capacity especially for treating joint pains, toothache and mouth ulcers

L - Lavender. Aromatic purple flowered plant with a wide range of medicinal and cosmetic uses. Also features in popular song, Lavender Blue.

M MUSTARD seeds - ground from white, brown or black mustard seeds to make a powder which eventually makes the mustard you have with roast beef. I always presumed mustard seeds were yellow! But, apparently, to make it yellow, the lower brand mustards, put in turmeric in a small amount which is why they aren't as strong. My Mum always bought the yellow powder and made it up from there.

M MUSTARD seeds - ground from white, brown or black mustard seeds to make a powder which eventually makes the mustard you have with roast beef. I always presumed mustard seeds were yellow! But, apparently, to make it yellow, the lower brand mustards, put in turmeric in a small amount which is why they aren't as strong. My Mum always bought the yellow powder and made it up from there.
Always had Colman's English mustard at home. Now we buy it in powder form but use a lot of the ready made Bramwell's English mustard from Aldi which is excellent. Didn't know the turmeric thing, Caz. That brown French mustard is not for me.
Forget the powder form. Apparently my OH bought this on a whim and we never actually use it!

Last edited:
N - Nasturtium. Common colourful garden flower. All parts are edible and have a peppery kick. The seeds are often called 'poor man's capers' but have a spicier flavour.

O OREGANO - a herb from the mint family though doesn't taste minty. Romans believed it gave you joy when you ate it (not sure they were eating oregano though!) Was said to be good for certain health issues but recently that was refuted.

Q - Quassia Amara. Small evergreen shrub widely used in traditional medicines and to provide bitterness for products in the food and drink industry. Forms basis of Angostura Bitters, which is used as a flavouring in drinks, digestive tonics and also in gin-based drinks. Quassia can also be used as a substitute for hops in beer manufacturing.

R ROSEMARY - for remembrance (though I no not why!). A herb I used to grow quite well but sadly, like many of my gardening skills, that is in the past! Pairs up with lamb in cooking and the Roman and Greeks used it in medicines.

R ROSEMARY - for remembrance (though I no not why!). A herb I used to grow quite well but sadly, like many of my gardening skills, that is in the past! Pairs up with lamb in cooking and the Roman and Greeks used it in medicines.
Rosemary is very common at Gallipoli and is worn on Anzac day in Australia and New Zealand. Thyme was (tee-hee) I had a lovely Rosemary bush here but a severe frost killed it off. Supposed to be hardy but I can kill almost any plant off - it's a knack.:confused:

S - Sage. Member of the salvia family. Leaves often used with pork and in stuffings. I hate it but grow the plant for its ornamental value.

Rosemary is very common at Gallipoli and is worn on Anzac day in Australia and New Zealand. Thyme was (tee-hee) I had a lovely Rosemary bush here but a severe frost killed it off. Supposed to be hardy but I can kill almost any plant off - it's a knack.:confused:

Oh, me too, Lindum. Except a fern I was planted not realising how intrusive it would get and now I can't kill the flippin' thing.

T TURMERIC - a yellowy orangey colour when dried and ground and is approved as a food additive. Used in Asia for it's medicinal properties. My other half has started having the tablets to help with arthritis.

T TURMERIC - a yellowy orangey colour when dried and ground and is approved as a food additive. Used in Asia for it's medicinal properties. My other half has started having the tablets to help with arthritis.
My OH bought several jars of those but only had one capsule as she reckoned it made her queasy. They now stand forlorn on a shelf with the mustard powder and various other bad buys.

U - Difficult. Could only find Uva Ursi. Common name Bearberry. Found in mountain regions of Europe, Asia and America. The dried leaves are used in folk medicine to make infusions which act as a diuretic.

V VANILLA - a spice derived from the orchid and is obtained from pods of the flat-leaved vanilla plant. Used as an extract in baking.