A-Z Of Easter | Vital Football

A-Z Of Easter

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be anything at all that does - or might - relate to anything at Easter Time

A April - Easter Day falls in April this year

B - Easter Bunny. A folkloric figure and symbol of Easter, depicted as a rabbit—sometimes dressed with clothes—bringing Easter eggs. Originating among German Lutherans, it originally played the role of a judge, evaluating whether children were good or disobedient in behavior at the start of the season of Easter.

E - Eostre, a Germanic goddess of the early Spring and according to Bede celebrated by the Anglo-Saxons in April. May be the derivation of the term Easter.

H HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB - their home ground is Easter Road, Edinburgh. They play in the Scottish Premier League . Seen the stadium from outside, but haven't actually been in to see a game. Ex-Millers player Joe Newell is still on their books.

Last edited:
H HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB - their home ground is Easter Road, Edinburgh. They play in the Scottish Premier League . Seen the stadium from outside, but haven't actually been in to see a game. Ex-Millers player Joe Newell is still on their books.

If only I'd done this A-Z last week! We were at an Easter Quiz and one of the questions was which team play at Easter Road. Well I had Hearts, Hibs or Hamilton and couldn't remember which it was (though did know it began with H!) I went for Hearts :rolleyes:

I IMMORTALITY is a state of endless life beyond the power of death, which is obtained following the Resurrection which was, according to the Bible, at what we now call Easter.

J - possibilities are Jerusalem or Jesus but I will go for Jelly Beans. Associated with Easter since 1930s and widely eaten at Easter in USA. National Jelly Bean Day is April 22nd.

L - Lamb. Among the popular Easter symbols, the lamb is often held to be the most significant. It is said to symbolize Jesus, as it embodies purity and goodness, but also represents sacrifice.
The lamb was a sacrifice made during the Jewish Passover, which is a holiday commemorating the passage of the “angel of death” over the homes of those who had smeared the blood of sacrificial lambs on their doorposts, thus sparing the firstborn sons. Roasted lamb shanks are an important part of the Passover seder plate for Jews while roasted leg of lamb is popular for Easter in Mediterranean countries such as Italy and Greece.

O - Ocean of Mercy. Popular Easter hymn. Can't say I've heard it but there seem to be lots of versions on YouTube.
Or, for a pagan slant - Ostara. Goddess and festival of the Spring. Identified with the goddess Eostre (E above).

Last edited: