A-Z Of December | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of December

Another N - New Years Eve, the last day of December

O Ornaments - people have different ornaments they get out at Christmas. I was trying to get one of mine to work yesterday.

P PUDDINGS - right time of year for that type of dessert. Xmas pudding, figgy pudding, plum pudding are all roughly the same thing. Clootie pudding is similar , and is traditionally eaten on Burns Night (25th Jan)
I had a pint of Orkney Clootie Pudding spiced ale a couple of nights ago - very nice!

or... for a "double" - "A PARTRIDGE in a PEAR tree" - part of the "Twelve Days of Christmas" song.

Last edited:
Q - One we will not hear again for a very long time but has been a staple of Christmas TV since 1957 (missing only 1969) is the Queen's Christmas Broadcast to the Commonwealth.
Or, a Christmas favourite of mine, Quince Jelly. Very nice with Stilton. And port!

R RELIGIOUS - I suppose December is the month which is most religious in our calendar?

Or

RELATIVES - got some of mine coming today.

U "Under the Christmas tree" - song by Albert Hammond (2008). Clip on YouTube.

I prefer the Half Man Half Biscuit "tribute" to him -"Albert Hammond bootleg" (clip on YouTube). HMHB also recorded an alternative "A" - "All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit" (clip on YouTube).

Last edited:
W - Two festive meanings in one. Wassail. Either a spiced ale or wine traditionally drunk on Twelfth Night and Christmas Eve or going from house to house singing carols.

Some areas of Germany and Austria have a similar tradition. I remember being told about it at school, and thinking the same.

... or ...ZZ TOP front-man Billy Gibbon's birthday - 16th December. (Zinedine Zidane's bithday is in June).