A-Z Of Comedy | Vital Football

A-Z Of Comedy

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be anything that you find funny! People, place names, TV, films etc etc

A ALAN Davies - began as a stand-up and was the title character in Jonathan Creek and is a usual team captain on QI.

B - Bob Monkhouse. Versatile comedian, screenwriter, actor and game show host of shows including The Golden Shot with Monkhouse's catchphrase, 'Bernie, the bolt!' A respected standup comedian who apparently started writing and selling jokes at age 15.

C CHARLIE CHAPLIN - for a double . Started his film career in silent comedy. Much admired by Bob Monkhouse, who featured his films on Monkhouse's historical silent comedy film selection tv shows. (See previous entry). Charlie Chaplin also perfomed on stage in the "Fred Karno's Circus" slapstick comedy tours, which are often referred to by Ronnie Moore! Stan Laurel was also in Fred Karno's Circus. Ronnie must be too young to have seen the performances though.

Last edited:
Dave Allen - comedian who told jokes and funny/ witty stories, particularly about religion and politics. Always made me laugh. Always a glass of whisky and a cigarette in his hand. I remember him having half his index finger missing.

Dave Allen - comedian who told jokes and funny/ witty stories, particularly about religion and politics. Always made me laugh. Always a glass of whisky and a cigarette in his hand. I remember him having half his index finger missing.
I loved his stuff.

or... FRANKIE Howerd - comedy performer on radio, tv , stage and films , Real name Francis Alick Howard. Born in York in 1917. Probably best known for his role as "Lurcio" in the "Up Pompeii", tv show and film spin-offs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

G GRAEME GARDEN - for a "double" . Comedy actor, writer, author and presenter on radio and tv. Born in Aberdeen in 1943. Probably best known as a member of "The Goodies" on tv and as a regular panelist on the radio show "I'm sorry I haven't a clue".

Last edited:
.... or Neil INNES - also a member of "The Rutles". Musician, singer, songwriter, and comedy actor. Played in the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. , and was also a solo performer. Saw him play live - very good.

J JANGO - A Rediffusion comedy in the early 60's which didn't last long. Peter Sallis and Brian Wilde from Last of the Summer Wine were in it. It was written by Albert Henry Webb (not heard of him tbh) and one critic said 'The half-hour needs a dose of good comedy writing to make it work.'

J JANGO - A Rediffusion comedy in the early 60's which didn't last long. Peter Sallis and Brian Wilde from Last of the Summer Wine were in it. It was written by Albert Henry Webb (not heard of him tbh) and one critic said 'The half-hour needs a dose of good comedy writing to make it work.'
One that passed me by, Caz.

Stan Collymore once said on TalkSport Radio, that the tennis player Andy Murray reminded him of the Harry Enfield characters , Wayne and Waynetta. He meant Kevin and Perry! :p

Last edited:
Never saw "Jango", Caz.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L LENNY Bruce - real name Leonard Alfred Schneider (1925-66). Born in New York. Legendary US stand-up comedian, social critic and anti-censorship campaigner. An influence internationally on stand-up comedy.

M - Bernard Manning, controversial English comedian who gained a high profile on British television during the 1970s appearing on shows such as The Comedians and The Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club. His act became controversial as attitudes changed, with the result that Manning was rarely seen on television in the last few decades of his career though he continued to perform at live venues until his death.

... alternative "M" - MAXWELL Smart - main character in the 1960's secret agent tv comedy spoof "Get Smart", played by Don Adams. Still find those old shows funny today. A main scriptwriters for the show was MEL Boroks. One of my favourite tv programmes as a youngster. Other characters like the Chief, Agent 99, the robot assistant and various supervillains were great fun too. (y)

Last edited: