A-Z Of Clothing in Song Titles, Film Titles, TV, Books, Sayings . . . | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Clothing in Song Titles, Film Titles, TV, Books, Sayings . . .

... or... "RASPBERRY BERET" , song by Prince and the Revolution (1985)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

S "SHIRT" - song by the Bonzo Dog (Doo Dah) Band, from the album "Tadpoles" (1969). Got it on vinyl on a "best of" album. Good fun! (y)

... or "SHORT SHORTS" (for a"double") 1965 Uk hit single by Freddie and the Dreamers. It was a cover of the 1957 US hit single by the Royal Teens.

Clips of all of them on YouTube.

Last edited:
T -The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists (1914) is a semi-autobiographical novel by Robert Noonan, who wrote the book in his spare time under the pen name Robert Tressell. Published after Tressell's death from tuberculosis in the Liverpool Royal Infirmary in 1911, the novel follows a house painter's efforts to find work in the fictional English town of Mugsborough (based on the coastal town of Hastings) to stave off the workhouse for himself, his wife and his son.
I have a copy and must read it again.
Or, The Tuxedo, a 2002 action comedy film directed by Kevin Donovan and starring Jackie Chan and Jennifer Love Hewitt.

I own a copy of the "Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists" book, and have also seen a stage play based on it. (y)

Alternative "T" - "Tank Tops" , song by Asha Jeffries, which refers to sleeveless pullovers/vests . Clip on YouTube.
-------------------------------------------------------------

U "UNDER THE WIG" - book by Richard Shepherd about the legal profession. The wig in the title refers to the type worn by barristers, judges, etc.. Haven't read it.

... or'' ... "UNDERWEAR" , song by Pulp, which features on the album "Different Class" (1995). Good album. (y)

Last edited:
Y - The Magic Yarmulka is the title of a 2007 short comedy film, an animation series and a series of stories by Schmuel Kunda. Skin Yarmulke is a track by US hip-hop group The Doppelgangaz. Not seen or heard any of the above. I have a recollection too of a song by someone titled Y-Fronts but this may be a false memory!

The Goodies recorded "Cactus in my Y-fronts". Comedy country & western song , clip on YouTube.

Z "ZOOT SUIT" - song by the High Numbers (early version of The Who). Released as a single on the Fontana label in 1964. The better known Who song, "I'm the face", was on the B-side. Got the latter on a vinyl compilation. Clip on You Tube.

Last edited:
The Goodies recorded "Cactus in my Y-fronts". Comedy country & western song , clip on YouTube.

Z "ZOOT SUIT" - song by the High Numbers early version of The Who). Released as a single on the Fontana label in 1964. The better known Who song, "I'm the face", was on the B-side.
Odd coincidence you picked Zoot Suit, Mike as I was recently reading about the Los Angeles Zoot Suit Riots of 1943. The riots form a backdrop to some of James Ellroy's crime novels including The Black Dahlia and The Big Nowhere. All his books are excellent if you like that kind of thing. LA Confidential was made into a film in 1997 with Russell Crowe, Kim Bassinger, Kevin Spacey and Danny DeVito.