A-Z Of Christmas | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Christmas

X XMAS - found an explanation why we use Xmas - X was a secret symbol used by Christians in the early days to indicate their membership in the church to others. The Greek meaning of X is the first letter of Chi, which is the beginning of the Greek word Christos, which means anointed and covered in oil. This term became Christ in English, so it is okay to use Xmas and Christmas interchangeably.

Personally I don't like the word 'Xmas' - I usually write Christmas out in full (although I have been known to put C'mas too!)

Y YULE/YULETIDE - term which is now generally used to mean the Christmas period. Originally it referred to the winter solstice celebrations, etc., in the Northern Hemisphere (eg Germany and N. Europe)

Z - Zwarte Piet, also known in English by the translated name Black Pete, is the companion of Saint Nicholas in the folklore of the Low Countries. Traditionally, Zwarte Piet distributes candy to well-behaved children, and punished the others – the punishment part fell out of use in the 1960s. Controversial particularly when people black up to represent him. Similar to Krampus in some ways perhaps reflecting the desire in some cultures for a carrot and stick approach to kids at Christmas.