A-Z Of Board Games | Vital Football

A-Z Of Board Games

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Any game that you need a board for - or even any game that you can think of that doesn't necessarily need a board!

A A Battle Of Wits - there are four wine glasses in the middle of the board and you have to add wine or poison according to a card you pick. There is also some bidding going on.

B Baldersdash - it's not really a board game, it's a bit like the old BBC 2 TV show "Call my bluff". I have played it at Xmas a few times- quite entertaining.

I have heard of it Mike but never played.

C Cluedo - my sister's favourite. Played it loads over the years and we even made our own game of it making the characters into the people in the house one Christmas Eve.

I had a game as a child called 'contraband' which was really good, my cousins and I played it quite a lot - never known anyone else who had it or played it.

Yes, I had Cluedo too - good game.
Heard of Contraband, but don't recall playing it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D Don't miss the boat - Waddington's strategy board game that I received as a Xmas present when young. Played on a cross-shaped grid, elements of draughts-type moves involved (no dice), and as the name suggests, you have move your playing pieces into boats. No longer manufactured (I think) , but seen it on eBay.

Don't recall the name, Mike, but the way you play sounds familiar.

E Equestrian Game - not sure it was called this but it's what we called it. It was in a compendium of games and it was a board and dice game. Can't exactly remember how to play but think it was a bit like ludo - you threw a dice to get round the board and had so many throws to get over a fence - or something like that!

F - Farmers v Empire

A Strategic War game based on the Second Boer War 1899-1902 .
Not played it but i've heard of it (obviously)

Could also have had Formula One, the motor racing board game, which my brother had. Good game.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G Go - the Waddingtons travel/tourist board game, which I had when younger. Waddingtons later changed the name to "Travel Go" to avoid confusion with the Chinese strategy game "Go". I know that I mentioned them before!

I vaguely remember the strategy game "Gambit" (can't remember how you played it), and If we are allowing card games - Gin Rummy

Last edited:
You know we allow anything on here!!

H Harry Potter's Trivial Pursuit - though I have read the books and seen the films (sometimes more than once) I believe I'd be rubbish at this!

I Ice Cool - never played it, but it is a cross between a board game and sort of subutteo ice hockey, involving penguins! (See YouTube)

Last edited:
Not heard of Ice Cool. Have heard of Kerplunk but not played it.

L Ludo - my other half cheats at ludo so I refuse to play it with him!

My brother had Kerplunk - good fun!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M Monopoly - must be the most famous board game of them all.
I also had "Mine a million" (mining and transport), my brother had "Masterpiece" (art dealing). All good board games.

My grandaughter had a monopoly for Christmas but it was a simpler version for little ones. We had Mastermind with the coloured pegs.

N Near and Far - a board game where you moved round a map to find a ruin (I think it was a ruin!)

Still got Mastermind somewhere, and for N could have had Nine Men's Morris, which is mentioned in Shakespeare's plays, and at least dates back to the Roman Empire, probably earlier than that. Played it at Brinsworth Infants School. Possibly the earliest board game played in Britain? The "board" has been found carved into wood, bricks, paving slabs, made up from tiles, etc., in many ancient buildings across Europe and North Africa.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
O Only Fools and Horses - board game based on the tv show. I have played it - you move around the board buying and trading things, visiting the "lock-up", Nag's Head , Plonker's Wine Bar, etc., on the way. Only takes a failrly short playing time to complete compared to many board games. Quite good.

Last edited:
Friend of ours has a few different Nine Men Morris and has them displayed around his house. Not sure if they have ever been played with though.

P Pay Day - you have to end up with the most money at the end of the game.

Could have had "Pandemic" for P. Topical , but I have never played it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q QI - based on the tv quiz show (which I quite like) , or Quidditch, based on the Harry Potter books/films. Not played either.

Last edited:
Not seen the QI game but we do watch the show - sometimes I think it's great then other times the contestants grate on my nerves!

R Rummikub - discovered this game a few years ago on holiday

Played Rummikub - though quite a while ago , Think one of my friends had it.
S Spy Rng- A Waddington's board game which I had as a kid . You had to get into embassies and get tokens , which allowed you cards to make passwords, or you could get password cards by spotting or trapping opponents. Quite complex strategy and tactics involved which often needed to change as the game progressed- good game

Last edited:
I love Spy Ring, Mike. Unfortunately some years ago we were having our bedroom fitted out and we moved things out of there into the garage including a lot of games. The garage was broken into and this was one of the games that was stolen. Like Trivial Pursuits too, Digger, not that I'm very good at it!

U Urban Myth - seen it in shops but never played it.