A Twitter Moan | Vital Football

A Twitter Moan

I thought the pitch played perfectly well on Saturday, definitely much less bobbly than previous seasons.

Would the players rather have a minefield with some pretty stripes or a perfectly level surface without stripes? :hmmm:

The groundsman is there to provide a good surface for football, anything else is a bonus.

Last edited:
Blimey it's amazing what people get upset about. I thought the pitch looked perfectly acceptable and more importantly played well.

I think once you look at the pictures on the tweet I can completely understand the reasoning behind it.

The surface may play well and the quality may be good under foot (yes, this is the number 1 priority), however the presentation was extremely poor. Phil and the team used to have exceptionally high standards in this regard.

I could understand the weather playing a part over the summer in regards to the quality of the stadium pitch, but I really don’t accept it as an excuse for the way the pitch was presented on Saturday.

FarmerImp can advise on a suitable basic GPS unit. His dog would then be able to cut straighter lines.

From the photos, Saturday's effort was inexcusable, unless it was after a 5 pint challenge. It appears Liam wasn't too impressed either.

Hi Swinimp
What was the problem with the pitch on Saturday as far as I could see there was only a few wiggly lines on one section near the centre line but to me sitting near the centre line in the Co-op stand the pitch looked near perfect and played well for both teams.

Hi Swinimp
What was the problem with the pitch on Saturday as far as I could see there was only a few wiggly lines on one section near the centre line but to me sitting near the centre line in the Co-op stand the pitch looked near perfect and played well for both teams.

Hi jal jal,

If there are uneven lines in the centre, then there are more than what I originally thought. I sit in Block 7, so had a similar view as the Twitter poster.

I am in no way disputing the quality of the pitch and whether it played well or not, I would certainly hope it does considering the budget we now work with! However, my nag is completely in regards to the presentation, it just looked like it lacked a little bit of love, care and attention.

Personally, I think we need to move the Selenity Stand a little bit to the left. It is negligent of the club to leave it where it is - slap bang in the middle.

The fact that City have failed to control the weather this summer is a disgrace. At no time have they tried to turn off the sun, or make it rain. They have foolishly allowed the temperature to rise to over thirty degrees time and time again. Indeed, there were whole weeks when there was not a cloud in the sky - what the hell have the groundsmen been doing? Sack them all, I say.

And what about those corner flags? I thought they looked shocking, at least a millimetre too short.

The pitch was like a cheese grater last season it was that bobbly, I can take a few scars if the surface is good.

Will judge the new groundsman on what the playing surface is like in March. It’s not held up well in recent seasons, but then we’ve not always had the resources. Few wonky lines to star off with not an issue if it plays well all season.

I'd assumed that they had avoided putting heavy machinery on it initially and chosen to cut it with the basic lawnmower to help growth.

No biggy with no pattern on, mind! If that's a worry then we're doing very, very well. To be 'devastated' about it, it's a bit OTT and melodramatic!

I feel it's ok to raise this as something that could be improved/tweaked but to have a go at the grounds staff in such a forceful and negative way is out of order IMO. Feels like there is a hidden agenda here...

I think some people were upset when the previous groundsman left. It's not for me to say which if any of the individuals who have commented are influenced by that or it is utterly unconnected.

Christ can't wait til Maine road sees this. This is one of the most excitable moans of all the moans