A Game Too Far | Vital Football

A Game Too Far

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
It's been a long month and yesterday we looked a little leggy.
Didn't really get going until, we were 2 down, and Ryan and Delf debating who was going to take the pen didn't help.
Disappointed in 2 very sloppy goal, can't fault Tilt this season, just saved his 2 biggest howlers for 1 game.
I think Longstaff isn't quite over his injury and next week's break has come at a really good time for us.
The kids will get the run out on Tues along with the likes of Quigley.
One thing it has shown us that a strong squad is vital, Frenchies injury along with Cullen's has left us light upfront.
The next 2 weeks should see Cullen close to a return.
I hope a deal can be done for the 2 trialliasts, t'rovers fans say the defender is a good lad and versatile, that would allow Daniel to play further up the field and help out in midfield, Spearings quality will shine at this level.
The extra £ from tv in the Championship should spur on any normal chairman, but our track record of in normality at board level doesn't give any hope.
Overall a decent start, here's hoping we can continue.

so far weve been so good for one 1/2 of a game and not buried the opposition and its come back to hurt us. Its mainly due to such a young team, we need the trialists in to add experience.
Whats your thoughts on our style when the pitches go heavy.

We never know, which ever way we analyse the side. Is it down to how the team perform on the day against the ability of the opposition ? I might be wrong, but I put it down to fitness, ability and the love for football. 11 against 11 on any given day. Just remember every opposition thinks like you !

suffolknwot - 1/10/2017 23:27

so far weve been so good for one 1/2 of a game and not buried the opposition and its come back to hurt us. Its mainly due to such a young team, we need the trialists in to add experience.
Whats your thoughts on our style when the pitches go heavy.

"Whats your thoughts on our style when the pitches go heavy." Pretty much the same as the opposition one would think. :grins:

It's hard to sugar coat one point out of nine from the last three games. As I watch the games, like anyone else, I moan and groan bad passes and big mistakes etc. It's frustrating at the time.
But on reflection, I'm somewhat encouraged. GB has brought in 14 new faces this season and they are blending well. Of the last three games, we only played poorly in the Bristol Rovers match - and a 3-1 scoreline flattered the Gas in my opinion. But against Rochdale, we played well against a very good side, a side with bigger and pacier players than ours. Against Southend, on balance we were the better side. Yes, we started poorly (and I'm sure Tilt feels bad enough) but after we were down 2-0, we were far the better side. Their keeper had a very good game. So I'm somewhat confident that we will learn from this.
Normally two weeks off after a bad run would be unwelcome. But in this case, I think it's a blessing. As SEX said, Cullen should be back and perhaps (just perhaps) we may sign one or two. Don't forget, we are playing in a higher division and more than holding our own.
That's it for me for a few weeks. After Tuesday's classic against Accy, me and Mrs C are off to Seattle to cruise down to the penal colony, then over to New Zealand. I'll be back for the home game against Pompey. Take care everyone!

Good post Sask and are you really off on your hols AGAIN??

On balance a decent start to the season and we are top ten. I think Pete called it right about being bulled off the pitch by bigger teams. I worry about our defence on set plays, the keeper I just don't rate he may be a good shot stopper but that's where it ends, I really like GB but he tries to close out games with 20 minutes to go and we don't have the team to do it. Players need time to gel properly but the trialists coming in would help along with KOKO packing his bags

Hastings - 1/10/2017 19:29

Good post Sask and are you really off on your hols AGAIN??

On balance a decent start to the season and we are top ten. I think Pete called it right about being bulled off the pitch by bigger teams. I worry about our defence on set plays, the keeper I just don't rate he may be a good shot stopper but that's where it ends, I really like GB but he tries to close out games with 20 minutes to go and we don't have the team to do it. Players need time to gel properly but the trialists coming in would help along with KOKO packing his bags

Yep Hastings, off again! Every day is Saturday when you are retired! Take care mate

SeasideEssexXile - 2/10/2017 12:40

Safe journey Sask (& Barb).
Pressures on for starting the match day threads :grins:

Thanks SEX!

Re the match thread pressure, think of it as a probation period! I'll be watching, Ha!