A different look at the 2014 election results | Vital Football

A different look at the 2014 election results

kefkat

Vital Football Legend
Cutting through the mainstream spin, a friend of mine sent me this link, I thought was interesting and some of you would like to read.

.............................................................................................

A different look at the 2014 local election results

Some of the mainstream media reactions to the local election results have been quite extraordinary. The same narratives have been repeated in the pages of countless newspapers and on nearly every television station. I'm just going to run through a few of these narratives and expose them for the counter-factual gibberish they are.

Labour did really badly

Labour did not do badly, they made net gains of over 330 council seats to bag more than half of all of the council seats up for election. They made a net gain of five councils, and Labour party gains also resulted in the Tories losing several councils to No Overall Control.

The media has painted these results as a disaster for Labour, but they gained almost three times as many new seats as the UKIP "earthquake" and they took complete control of Amber Valley, Bradford, Cambridge, Crawley, Croydon, Harrow and Merton.

As regular readers know, I'm not a fan of New Labour, but you don't have to be a fan of theirs to see the astonishing levels of media bias necessary to paint the party that made by far the biggest gains as the losers.

UKIP caused an earthquake

UKIP did not cause an earthquake. In reality they won far fewer seats than even the politically toxic Liberal Democrats managed. They did manage to pick up over 160 new council seats, but they were scattered far and wide across the country, meaning that they gained control of precisely zero councils. The only way any of the UKIP councilors will get any taste of political power is if they form coalitions with the Tories in some of the Tory dominated No Overall Control councils. And even then, they'll be the minor player in any coalition, meaning experienced Tory councilors are likely to use these new UKIP councilors as convenient human shit deflectors just as the Westminster Tories have used the hapless Liberal Democrats for the last four years.

The really clear indicator that this was no UKIP earthquake was the fact that their share of the vote actually declined dramatically from the local council elections last year (from 22% down to 17%), and this decline happened despite the council elections coinciding with the Euro elections, which should have brought out lots of extra UKIP voters.

Cont: http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/local-election-results-2014-aav.html

Not much interest in this thread? That is also the real story of the recent elections - the extraordinary levels of apathy and contempt people across Europe have for their politicians. Those that could be arsed to vote gave a huge middle-finger to the political establishment by voting for the most ridiculous party on the ballot paper.

People see there is no real difference between left and right any more, they all went to the same school, the same universities, none of them have experience of life outside politics, all they want is power and a cushy job in the City when they retire on fat pensions, no responsibilities, no big decisions, leave all that to Brussels, and the eurocrats in Brussels acting like Roman emperors, or Russian Tsars.

Let's see if the bastards take any notice.

That's the conclusion I made about the local elections. The European vote was a little different, but they don't do much anyway. Nothing much will change in the short term.

Interesting pov. Thanks for that. I'm sick of Farage's blokey smiling face being everywhere that I look. Let's say he has some credibility for the sake of argument. Listen to the other senior UKIP spokespeople and they are absolutely shockingly bad.

Saw the quote from Blair this morning criticizing UKIP. Yeah Tony, at least they haven't taken us into an illegal and unnecessary war yet pal.

kefkat - 26/5/2014 23:41

Cutting through the mainstream spin, a friend of mine sent me this link, I thought was interesting and some of you would like to read.

.............................................................................................

A different look at the 2014 local election results

The media has painted these results as a disaster for Labour, but they gained almost three times as many new seats as the UKIP "earthquake" and they took complete control of Amber Valley, Bradford, Cambridge, Crawley, Croydon, Harrow and Merton.

As regular readers know, I'm not a fan of New Labour, but you don't have to be a fan of theirs to see the astonishing levels of media bias necessary to paint the party that made by far the biggest gains as the losers.

Cont: http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/local-election-results-2014-aav.html
We are beginning to get the same sort of excuses and head in the sand attitudes from the major parties and their supporters that always comes after a set back. You'll be hearing a lot of comments prefaced by "What people want is......." while totally ignoring the messages that an election delivers from a large and potentially decisive section of the electorate.
For instance in the piece above the blogger draws the conclusion that Labour did well to make its gains while totally glossing over the fact that it did so having done very badly in the previous election. Labour made gains from a relatively low base.
If the main parties carry on regardless then UKIP will continue to take votes from them.
The political trend in Europe is terrifying with far right groups gaining in influence. The bloke in the blog is putting his fingers in his ears and whistling loudly.

What a load of crap UKIP gained 167 council seats. They are now the biggest UK party in the European Union they gained 27.5% of the vote up 11%. Labour had 25.4% of the vote which is an increase of 9.7%. Labour who would class themselves as the official opposition party only just managed to. "Beat" the conservatives. Only in London did UKIP not manage to hold the most European seats. These are facts not labour spin.

My area mostly voted UKIP as the lad who we was voting to get in the council was from a family we all know well and he is going to make changes to stop the ''Hoodie'' crews that keep going round bosting stuff and making have to chase after them with a baseball bat or machete whichever i can grab first, so hopefully i won't end up in jail in the near future of this lad sorts the shit out we have had to put up with off these thieving little bas**ds something which the current Labour council failed to bother sorting out.

If there is only this 1 guy Clive on the assumption he got in it will be hard for 1 person to make massive changes, so don't chuck your baseball bat and machete away, yet.

:95: