8th May | Vital Football

8th May

SKEGGY

Bringer Of The Seasons
It's now 15:21hrs. I've sat back and waited to see if any of you would start a thread to recognise the day! After all the peacock strutting on here about Subway and Pizza Express I thought you proud British Men would have known today is the 69th anniversary of Victory in Europe. I was wrong I'm not surprised in the least.

Mmmmmmmmmm 69 :136:

Sorry Skeggy, couldn't resist :17:

And give people a break my friend, not everyone gets on line early.

Happy VE day mate, celebrate the victory, it was costly.

The peacock strutters do. The victory was costly but the loss would had been much more.

My Uncle lost a leg at Dunkirk .

He never ever told anyone about his experiences or what he saw and never collected his medals , although his daughter did many many years later.

Must have been truly terrible.

Makes you wonder the horrors and frightening things our boys had to go through back then, scary stuff, always amazes me how brave they was to go into this battle knwoing the odds of them not coming back was massive but fought regardless for our country and people, brave is not the word makes me proud,

Sir Den dude, the older generations seemed to not tell there experiances like this i know what you mean, my great great grandad fought in the Bore way and my dad as a kid never knew but always asked him what happend to his leg (being off) and the big gin above the fire place and this big tall helmet, before he died he told my dad stories and some am amazing what they went through, makes you realise how lucky we am for what these guys did for us.

I was under the impression that VE day for commonwealth countries (which obviously includes the UK) was 7th May.

My Mom served in The Wrens and was in the middle of the doodle bug raids in London. My eldest Uncle, Mom's brother was a pilot in The RAF. My other Uncle was front line army and was on Normandy.

He never talked about it much, however his demeanor said so much about it. I know he was in the situation of kill or be killed. He never got over it.

Other members of Mom's family also served though don't really know there stories.

I do know my Grandma who owned her own business (very unusual for those times) dabbled on the black market a bit.

Also a Great Uncle who didn't go to war and kept on the family business whilst the others went, turned the business over to arms & ammunition during the war, then after the war ran off to Brighton with the profits. I kid you not.

Dont know much about my Father side much except my Father was in Scotland, and wasn't front line

Villan Of The North - 8/5/2014 16:37

I was under the impression that VE day for commonwealth countries (which obviously includes the UK) was 7th May.

Do you think that might have something to do with the time difference? In future when consulting Wikipedia try to reason this things out. The UK is a Commonwealth realm as such either.

My maternal grandfather was Royal Scots but he was, for some reason, fluent in French and went to Normandy as a link returning a few weeks later in a fishing boat. He never told my mother or any of her sisters what he did there.

My paternal grandfather was part of the d day landings. He for many many years got chocolates from a Belgian lady every Christmas, he never told my Grandmother what he did there lol

SKEGGY - 8/5/2014 18:49

Do you think that might have something to do with the time difference? In future when consulting Wikipedia try to reason this things out. The UK is a Commonwealth realm as such either.

Or perhaps it's because the surrender was first signed on 7th in Reims, it was then signed again on the 8th in Berlin. No need for the snotty wikipedia comment, yes I did use it but ask yourself why I'd did that after you'd already stated that it was the 8th. It's because I thought it was on the 7th and wanted to check my facts. It turns out that both days are applicable but I always thought it was the 7th.

Villan Of The North - 8/5/2014 18:18

SKEGGY - 8/5/2014 18:49

Or perhaps it's because the surrender was first signed on 7th in Reims, it was then signed again on the 8th in Berlin. No need for the snotty wikipedia comment, yes I did use it but ask yourself why I'd did that after you'd already stated that it was the 8th. It's because I thought it was on the 7th and wanted to check my facts. It turns out that both days are applicable but I always thought it was the 7th.

Both Great Britain and The USA celebrated VE Day on the 08/05/1945. As I'm British I'll stick to the correct date. As you're in Norway perhaps you can recognise the day they celebrate which I believe is the 8th as well.