8000!! | Vital Football

8000!!

Macc Gill

Vital Reserves Team
Apparently the crowd was 8163, it looked like a large proportion of those had sensibly stayed in the Factory rather than sit in the stands

As if we?ve managed to get another 2,800 home fans since the Shrewsbury game with the game being televised on Sky. I only watched it on tv but that Gordon Road stand must have been completely full......

Far more fans in the Medway Stand, Town End and GRS. I could tell it would be a big crowd after seeing the amount of cars parked up on Woodlands.

8,000 was about right. All areas of the ground were populated today including the Medway Upper. At least 4 or 5 sections there are usually empty. Portsmouth occupied all bar about 3 blocks of the Brian Moore Stand. There were definitely more in the ground today than against Charlton when there were 7,000 something. I've been going for years and usually have a guess at the crowd before it is announced and I'm not usually much out. I had it at upper 7,000s today. Remember the club gave away loads of tickets to schools and clubs for this match. There are plenty of other things to moan about. Size of the crowd really shouldn't be one of them.

8k seems about right. There was a lot of free tickets given out as all around me in the RE were these foul mouthed little oiks who I have never seen before. Hopefully they wont come back after that tosh today.

I guessed it at around 6,000 as we've been getting around 4,700ish lately plus 1300 away, and the R E looked a lot emptier than usual, so I thought it might be even less.

So I'm staggered that they announced over 8,000!!

Given that there were 1300 away fans, that means 1700 empty seats in the Town End. With a capacity of 11,500, the maths suggests a similar number of empty seats in the rest of the ground which is highly unlikely. I assume all the free tickets given away at Bluewater this week were included whether used or not....

I'm no guru on these crowd numbers. But I was at the Charlton game last season. Big away following and crowd given as around 7500 (which I think some on here even said that looked high).

The crowd yesterday following on TV looked waaay less than the Charlton game.

Lark, that's bollocks. As I said before, I've been going since the 1960's and I reckon the figure was spot on. We've had 6,000 crowds with no one in the right 3 blocks of the Medway Upper Stand or often the last one to the right in the lower Medway. All of those were close to full today. The odd one was the Rainham End. Often the middle sections are full whilst the two end blocks are nearly empty. Today, there were empty seats but spread right across. Overall I reckon the Rainham End had more than usual because the usually empty blocks were at least 80% full. The Gordon Road Stand was significantly fuller today than even for the Charlton game. For sirkeefy's benefit, the crowd for the Charlton game last year was 8,670.

As people have pointed out in the past, there is no benefit to the club whatsoever in the crowd being overstated. Frankly some of you sound like a bunch of nutty conspiracy theorists.

Therealwaldo - 8/10/2017 22:43
The Gordon Road Stand was significantly fuller today than even for the Charlton game. For sirkeefy's benefit, the crowd for the Charlton game last year was 8,670.

Ah, Right, couldn't see the GRS on the TV coverage. And didn't realize the Charlton game was that high.

Still thought rest of ground looked emptier, although agree about no reason for lying about crowd numbers. Was being implied back in the 70's and 80's as well.

Therealwaldo - 8/10/2017 22:43

Lark, that's bollocks. As I said before, I've been going since the 1960's and I reckon the figure was spot on. We've had 6,000 crowds with no one in the right 3 blocks of the Medway Upper Stand or often the last one to the right in the lower Medway. All of those were close to full today. The odd one was the Rainham End. Often the middle sections are full whilst the two end blocks are nearly empty. Today, there were empty seats but spread right across. Overall I reckon the Rainham End had more than usual because the usually empty blocks were at least 80% full. The Gordon Road Stand was significantly fuller today than even for the Charlton game. For sirkeefy's benefit, the crowd for the Charlton game last year was 8,670.

As people have pointed out in the past, there is no benefit to the club whatsoever in the crowd being overstated. Frankly some of you sound like a bunch of nutty conspiracy theorists.

I'm sticking to my opinion on this one I'm afraid. I've been going a long time too and used to be fairly good at guessing the attendances until recently.

Rainham End was only about half full, Medway stand was maybe 3/4 full, being generous, (watching the match back on Sky now so I can see it). Gordon road End bronze blocks were empty (one was used for Sky's makeshift studio), Portsmouth were 1333 if that figure is correct - several empty blocks in the lower tiers of the Town End.
Remember the Scunthorpe game on the recent Tuesday night? Crowd was given as 4,000 when it looked like barely 3,000 in the ground.
Possibly they are counting all the free tickets given out as part of the attendance when maybe only half of those who got them showed up?
Crowds given as 8,000 a few seasons ago you could barely move in the ground and wonder where they'd fit in another 3,000 to reach official capacity.
I'm wondering if the run of generous attendance figures being announced is something to do with the court case? Think about how the attendance can effect the potential catering takings etc.
Or maybe it's to do with trying to attract investors, who knows?

Of course all the people parked on the pavement in Sturdee Avenue which only happens when there is a big crowd must have been going to the Chinese takeaway.

Not sure the pavement parking argument stacks up. You are comparing a Sunday afternoon with a Saturday, so just maybe there are more people at home?

Anyway I do agree with the observation that there seems no logical reason why the club would over-inflate the figures. However when it was announced I was surprised.

I'm usually quite good at estimating the crowd - usually get it within a couple of hundred. My estimate was about 6500 - so not as much as the official crowd but thought there was a lot more than the touted 5000 by some.