5-3-2 | Vital Football

5-3-2

SwinImp

Vital Youth Team
Now Wharton has signed and we have ticked the elusive left-sided centre half off the list of transfer targets, do we think Danny & Nicky may have an eye on switching to a 5-3-2? 9CCB74A8-DC8F-4178-84A6-D85FC753CA54.jpeg

I'm thinking Eardley and Toffolo overlapping or swamping midfield (from a back 4) when in possession with Bossie sweeping in front of the centre backs. O'Connor holding fast in central midfield and Frecklington getting forward. I still think we will then go with an attacking three of Andrade, Green and Akinde but I'm not sure in what order from left to right across the top.

I'm thinking Eardley and Toffolo overlapping or swamping midfield (from a back 4) when in possession with Bossie sweeping in front of the centre backs. O'Connor holding fast in central midfield and Frecklington getting forward. I still think we will then go with an attacking three of Andrade, Green and Akinde but I'm not sure in what order from left to right across the top.
if the front two or three are free to swap around it will be much more difficult to defend against, than attacking from fixed positions and in straight lines. akinde being more mobile gives us this option.

if the front two or three are free to swap around it will be much more difficult to defend against, than attacking from fixed positions and in straight lines. akinde being more mobile gives us this option.
A system that quickly allows 5 players to get into counter attacking positions when in possession and likewise 5 defensively if counter attacked at pace. Also as many as 6 players right across midfield to overwhelm opposition if the game is being played at a slower tempo. The latter point may be relevant to cover for the loss of Woodyard's energy.

Think I said this a while back, even more tickled by the idea now Wharton is back. Bozzie is surely the natural shuttler between cdm and cb, allowing buccaneering wing backs

It's a simple game and too many onlookers / coaches are trying to complicate it. Find 11 good players who know their roles and stick to a simple formula. Usually 4-4-2. But nearly always 4 at the back.
Don't change for changing sake. And don't over complicate.
The trick would be for a manager (DC) to make tough decisions on which personnel to play and which to leave out, without ever shoehorning players in on reputation.
So for example on recent displays, the 2 CBs should be Waterfall and Wharton. Wilson would be on the bench and Bostwick definitely in midfield.

It's a simple game and too many onlookers / coaches are trying to complicate it. Find 11 good players who know their roles and stick to a simple formula. Usually 4-4-2. But nearly always 4 at the back.
Don't change for changing sake. And don't over complicate.
The trick would be for a manager (DC) to make tough decisions on which personnel to play and which to leave out, without ever shoehorning players in on reputation.
So for example on recent displays, the 2 CBs should be Waterfall and Wharton. Wilson would be on the bench and Bostwick definitely in midfield.
So what makes 442 the simple and not over complicated system as opposed to those that preceded and succeeded it as the dominant system

That's a very impressive front three, when the oppos' are tired, release Rheady

Think it's highly unlikely we'll switch to three centre backs at this stage. If that was the plan I'm sure we would have played it during pre-season.

So what makes 442 the simple and not over complicated system as opposed to those that preceded and succeeded it as the dominant system

Stability above everything else, especially at the level we play. Everyone knows their job, they aren't expected to perform several at once and a solid formation is difficult to break down. Good for players with one or two good attributes to slot into predefined, simple roles.

The more 'continental' formations, which switch and blur and morph as the game demands, work better with highly technical players with several attributes. While our levels have improved they are not suited.

For instance, there appears to be talk on this thread of Bostwick being our libero. That role needs top class distribution, pace, vision and close control. Bostwick is a destroyer, and he excels. But he is not technical. Give him the ball on the 18 yard line and tell him to move it up the pitch - see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
At present because of the previous few decades that this system has been played by British players from grass roots to professionals. I would say even now most of the LCFC squad would have played mainly 4-4-2 throughout their whole lives.

Not sure about 4-4-2 now Woodyard has gone. Need a lot of legs in the middle when we get overrun by teams playing five across the middle.

Think too much emphasis is placed on initial positions sometimes. Our 4-4-2 in the promotion season was not a 4-4-2 most of the time.

A system that quickly allows 5 players to get into counter attacking positions when in possession and likewise 5 defensively if counter attacked at pace. Also as many as 6 players right across midfield to overwhelm opposition if the game is being played at a slower tempo. The latter point may be relevant to cover for the loss of Woodyard's energy.

Hey - 16 outfield players. I'm putting a bet on for the Championship right now ??

I think 4-3-3 is the plan. We're flexible now though, 4-4-2, 5-3-2, 5-4-1, 4-2-3-1 and all variations of.

I quite like this:

Vickers

Eardley Bostwick Wharton Toffolo

Freck O’Connor

Andrade

Green Akinde McCartan

Stupidly attacking, so can’t see DC going for it, Green and McCartan would drop in when defending, but be forwards when in possession. 2 centre mids in front of the defence would be quite deep.

11 could also differ, just picked these players. For example Wilson could be ahead of Waterfall. Bossy could be in the middle, Freck or Pett could play where Andrade is.​