48 Years Ago Today | Vital Football

48 Years Ago Today

Merthyr Imp

Vital Football Hero
28th February 1970 – Scunthorpe United 2 Lincoln City 1 in Division Four

Scorers:

Scunthorpe – Nigel Cassidy (2)

Lincoln – Ray Gaston

The attendance was either 6,857 (the press at the time and Rothmans Football Yearbook) or 7,130 (the Nannestad’s Official History and at least one website).

Teams:

Scunthorpe:

1. Geoff Barnard
2. Graham Foxton
3. John Barker
4. Barry Lindsey
5. Steve Deere
6. Don Welbourne
7. Kevin Keegan
8. Nigel Cassidy
9. George Kerr
10. Terry Heath
11. Angus Davidson
12. Graham Rusling

Lincoln:

1. John Kennedy
2. Graham Taylor
3. George Peden
4. Phil Hubbard
5. Ray Harford
6. Jim Grummett
7. Gordon Hughes
8. Ray Gaston
9. Rod Fletcher
10. Bill Taylor
11. Dave Smith
12. Tom Brooks

Striker Ray Gaston, on a month’s loan from Oxford United scored for City on his debut and went on to play three more fairly undistinguished games before returning to Oxford. Aged 23, he had won a Northern Ireland cap 18 months before. After being released by Oxford later in 1970 he returned to Ireland, for a time playing alongside later Imps striker Brendan Bradley for Finn Harps. Gaston had come into the side instead of Bobby Svarc who had just had a rare (for that season) and brief run in the first team following the sale of Jack Lewis to Grimsby.

Rod Fletcher, Gaston’s fellow striker was in the middle of a run of 11 games without a goal although he finished the season as top scorer with 17 goals.

Tom Brooks, on the subs’ bench, had deputised for Ray Harford for a long spell earlier in the season.

Gordon Hughes returned to the side following injury, while midfielder Trevor Meath had just had a knee operation a month after suffering an injury at Chesterfield which ended the season for him and to my mind put paid to any chance City had of a late promotion challenge.

The result came after a run of three draws, two of them at home, with City having gone into the game in 11th place. The defeat saw them slip to 12th, and although form improved later it only resulted in a final placing of 8th and the departure of manager Ron Gray.

Scunthorpe were 9th before the game and remained there, going on to finish 12th. Their side included the 19-year-old Kevin Keegan who played in all 46 of their league games that season in an advanced midfield role. However, the real thorn in City’s side in those days was Nigel Cassidy who scored both their goals in this match and had also got a couple at Sincil Bank the previous October, in fact he finished with a record of six goals in a total of four games against City for Scunthorpe. He was their current leading scorer with 16, midfielder and later City player Terry Heath was on 13 and Keegan had 9.

As well as George Kerr, who of course went on to have two spells in charge of City, also on the pitch were three members of the ‘Ron Gray Soccer Academy’ of future managers and coaches – Ray Harford and the two Taylors.

Scunthorpe manager at the time was former Norwich City manager Ron Ashman who had been linked with the City job when Ron Gray was appointed in 1966.

The match kicked off at 3.15pm which was a time adopted by a few clubs in those days. I think the reason they did it was so as to be able to read out the full-time scores from elsewhere at the end of the match.

I always felt it was a cop-out to leave the name of the opposition off the front of the programme – Chesterfield used to do the same. There was a mention in it that the club had been required to post warning notices around the ground for a month following the throwing of objects onto the pitch during an FA Cup replay.

I can’t say anything about the game itself as I don’t have any match reports and I remember nothing of it at all!

Attachments

• Scunthorpe prog' 28.2.70.jpg
    Scunthorpe prog' 28.2.70.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
I was there that day. I recall Keegan may have hit the bar? Also, weren't they doing major alterations to the ground at the time?

Terry Heath was an interesting character. He actually made his City debut in Graham Taylor's first ever win as City manager - the 1-0 win over Darlington on 28 February 1973 - exactly 45 years ago today! He later moved to Spain and became an artist. He sadly died of cancer in Alicante in January 2011.

George Kerr should have stayed in Scunthorpe - both of his spells as manager were dreadful.

Ray Gaston returned to his native Coleraine and became a painter and decorator - he was still in business when I was last there eight or nine years ago.

I seem to remember Trevor Meath having chronic problems with his knees - I have a feeling he had to retire because of it a few years later. Good to see him back at Sincil Bank a few weeks ago on behalf of the FPA.

That boy Keegan never amounted to very much either.

The reason for the 3.15 kick off was to tie in with steelworks shift times. The 6am shift finished at 2pm so the extra 15 mins gave people time to get home and off to the match. Similarly night matches started at 7.15 so they could get to nights starting at 10pm.

GrotierBranfootLeigh - 28/2/2018 10:59

We got revenge 4-1 at Sincil Bank in November 1970. Cassidy scored again but Keegan missed a penalty. I recall fireworks in an unsegregated Clan.

Yes we did, although I had to miss that match as I had recently started my Saturday job at Curtis' Butchers at the Junction (top of Rookery Lane).

GrotierBranfootLeigh - 28/2/2018 10:56

The reason for the 3.15 kick off was to tie in with steelworks shift times. The 6am shift finished at 2pm so the extra 15 mins gave people time to get home and off to the match. Similarly night matches started at 7.15 so they could get to nights starting at 10pm.

You beat me to it. The 3:15 KO stayed pretty much up and 'till the time the Scunts moved from the Old Sowground to Glumford Park

Scotimp - 28/2/2018 10:53

I seem to remember Trevor Meath having chronic problems with his knees - I have a feeling he had to retire because of it a few years later.

Yes, he played in a variety of positions the following season before being back to his best in midfield under David Herd in the early part of the 1971/72 season before being injured again. He then had to retire after one further game at the start of the 1972/73 season.

All I know about 3.15pm kick-offs is that Chesterfield, Brentford, Barnsley and Chester also used to kick-off at that time in those days (late 60s/early 70s) - at least they did when they played City!

The corresponding fixture at Sincil Bank was my first game of live football I believe if we played in solid red chest and white sleeves as our kit in that year..

Sincilbanks - 28/2/2018 15:59

The corresponding fixture at Sincil Bank was my first game of live football I believe if we played in solid red chest and white sleeves as our kit in that year..

In 1969/70 it was all red shirts and white shorts, also the following season .

At around this time, too, which Football League team used to play their homes games with a 7:15 pm Saturday kick-off time?

Torquay definitely did on Saturdays until the M5 fully opened.
Didn't York sometimes have evening kickoffs on Saturdays too?
That was well into the 80s for Torquay remember footy focus doing a feature on it.

Merthyr Imp - 28/2/2018 16:41

Davidimp - 28/2/2018 16:23

The Arsenal type kit.

That's what David Herd introduced in 1971.
Ahhh righto merthyr all before my time was born 72 and started going 82.
In fact this weekend marks more or less my first game when played Brentford and won 1-0

On the theme of kick-off times, who remembers the time City once played on a Saturday with a 5pm (or it may just have been 5.30) kick-off?

I sure kick offs were set originally set at 3pm to fit around factory shift patterns back in he early 1900s/ WWI I think?