30 years ago today | Vital Football

30 years ago today

Not that game, but the ground brings back memories. Standing on a small bit of terracing that should have been condemned many years previously and waiting ages for the ball to be retrieved from the cricket pavilion.

Life seemed easier back then.

That ground was before my time, but seen pictures and heard about it and even as ramshackle as it was it'd still be a vast improvement over going to Sixfields. Dreadful away day for my most local game.

Its was a dump but it had a weird novelty factor/feel to it being mostly a cricket ground....pub next door wasnt bad if u got in early enough.

Loved that ground 'cos it was one third cricket pitch.

Fondly rememmber a 2 1 win there (iirc) circa 1977 when I seemed to be one of a very few Gills fans there. Travelled from Uni in Coventry, so a short trip.

I was there that day. They got a last minute winner. Or was it a last minute equaliser?

It was during that 18 month period without an away win when we so often conceded in the last few minutes.

Until Carlisle. They did get a last minute equaliser that day. But we scored a winner moments later to finally get that away win.

30 years ago. Fucking hell!

Loved that ground 'cos it was one third cricket pitch.

Fondly rememmber a 2 1 win there (iirc) circa 1977 when I seemed to be one of a very few Gills fans there. Travelled from Uni in Coventry, so a short trip.
I went there to watch cricket a few times.It was a nightmare for fielders on the football pitch Going down on one knee to field on the boundary only to see the ball fly over their heads.
I remember a evening match which was a mud bath.Gary Sutton who I believe went on to be a high ranking Police officer was I goal for us he got caught off his line a few times that night. Not sure he played that often after that nights heavy defeat.

Was there too that day and can still remember my mate effing and blinding when they equalised. Whenever we have been or go to Northampton since he always mentions that day and comes out with the same curses! 😁

Shows how time flies. The keeper has not been able to pick up back passes for over 30 years !!

Anybody remember who the full back was who actually did the up and under that Barrett headed? I was thinking someone like Haylock but I think he would have gone by then.

That ground was before my time, but seen pictures and heard about it and even as ramshackle as it was it'd still be a vast improvement over going to Sixfields. Dreadful away day for my most local game.

You are so right Here. Sixfields is an abomination

That picture brings back bad memories to me. I went there during my first season of going to away games, buoyed by the fact that we'd won 3 of the previous 4 I'd seen and only lost 1-0 in the other.

Northampton beat us 6-1

Eeeeeeek - I've just realised that (71-72 season) was over 50 years ago !!!!!!!!

Shows how time flies. The keeper has not been able to pick up back passes for over 30 years !!

Anybody remember who the full back was who actually did the up and under that Barrett headed? I was thinking someone like Haylock but I think he would have gone by then.

The pictures aren't clear but Richard Green can definitely be seen in the foreground. The right back at that time would have been Elliot Martin so I'm guessing it was him.

Written into Gills folklore, this is right up there with Thommo at Wembley and Gooden at Arsenal.

I think I was at this game. As with so many games that season I think we conceded a last minute equalizer, which as the time seemed to be the end of the world, bearing in mind Northampton league position. If we had won, we would not have the Halifax game, which to me is my favourite Gills game

I was there that day. They got a last minute winner. Or was it a last minute equaliser?

It was during that 18 month period without an away win when we so often conceded in the last few minutes.

Until Carlisle. They did get a last minute equaliser that day. But we scored a winner moments later to finally get that away win.

30 years ago. Fucking hell!

Can’t believe 30 years ago too!

Hehe, I was at that game too! I was actually just watching the highlights on Gillinhham Scrapbook the other day. I don't remember that awesome play and the Scott Barrett header, probably wasn't so clear in the away end. I do remember how close we were to winning it and when they equalised with virtually the last kick. I also remember traveling by car with my mate and his dad and on the way back his dad kept farting and wouldn't open the windows because he was too angry😝

Only went there once (Manny Omoyinmi solo goal), but yeah, I think I counted nine(?) different stands and the away end still had a fence with a massive CCTV camera on a pole in the middle.

Also loved the old Oxford United ground. A bizarre mix of ill fitting stands.
Remember us drawing 1-1 there. Danny Westwood scored ours. I think Jason Seacole got theirs who was going to be the next big thing ( or not ). They tried to keep us in the uncovered away end but as it was raining we decided the covered bit at the side by the home end would be more suitable 😁
Remember one of their lot had ‘obtained’ a Gills scarf and burnt it during the game