30,000 homes still have no power 6 days on… | Vital Football

30,000 homes still have no power 6 days on…

Feck them. They had a good laugh when we were short of petrol.

Actually, doesn't this just ram home the total lack of grown up thinking over the rush to carbon zero? We buy our electricity from France, Holland, use gas from Russia an Saudi, coal from Russia and Poland and wood pellets from Canada (that's right, we actually have trees cut down in Canada and shipped here so we can burn them.).

If we were serious, I mean properly serious, we would have started building nuclear 15 years ago, with the expectation that fusion is probably no more than 30-50 years away, and virtually free, limitless energy forever. Instead we have solar and wind both of which will be obsolete in 20 years and need completely replacing, and a buggers muddle of things we don't even control to keep the lights on. All in the name of something we can't prove will make a damn difference to the supposed, but poorly evidenced 'Man made Global Warming'.

It was bad enough losing it for 6 hrs last sat never mind 6 days it felt like the 70s all over again apart from we weren’t prepared for it like we were back then really feel for them tbh

It was bad enough losing it for 6 hrs last sat never mind 6 days it felt like the 70s all over again apart from we weren’t prepared for it like we were back then really feel for them tbh
We had an electricity pylon collapse under the weight of snow in the mid 90's and had no power for 6 days when new one was erected. I was ok because i could grab something to eat while i was out on the road and the kid's school still did meals as the cookers were gas but the Mrs lived on stuff warmed up near the gas fire because the cooker was electric. We'd always had a gas fire as backup to the the heating after the 1970's power cuts, but since that 90's power cut we've also had a gas hob and an electric oven so we've always got some form of heating and cooking options. I think I'm the only one in our close family who does this but once bitten! The kids think I'm a bit obsessive, I like the cover my options with most things but I know where they'll be when the lights go out....until the gas goes out anyway.

Petrol and Electric reach carbon parity around 70,000 miles. Up to then electric have produced more CO2. I laugh when they talk about ‘sustainable’. How sustainable is it to dig up rare earth minerals like lithium and cobalt.?

Add in the carbon footprint to construct an electric car where more components travel great distance to the point of assembly.

The use of diesel generators to fuel charging points says the most about how many dots aren't joined up.

Then you've got this utter lunacy.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...arge-any-electric-car-anywhere-any-time-video

The thing is though that when we get to 2030 or whenever we're banning petrol cars, that's the end of the internal combustion engine. I imagine that manufacturers will be winding down developments already. But it also means the the end of many service and manufacturing business that are involved. No more making or fitting exhausts, no more clutch centres, your local garage will go bust. Petrol and Diesel engines have become super efficient over the last 20 years, using half the fuel and giving out a third of the emissions. Electric cars are miles away from being a commodity, ie. we haven't seen the Ford Model T of electric cars. Its insane. We're jumping and the net isn't there...

The thing is though that when we get to 2030 or whenever we're banning petrol cars, that's the end of the internal combustion engine. I imagine that manufacturers will be winding down developments already. But it also means the the end of many service and manufacturing business that are involved. No more making or fitting exhausts, no more clutch centres, your local garage will go bust. Petrol and Diesel engines have become super efficient over the last 20 years, using half the fuel and giving out a third of the emissions. Electric cars are miles away from being a commodity, ie. we haven't seen the Ford Model T of electric cars. Its insane. We're jumping and the net isn't there...
Fuel duty is 58p for every litre sold diesel or petrol. Where is all the money going to come from that the Government receives when we go green!?

We had to have a new electric meter installed recently, and they put a 'Smart Meter' in with a little display box to say how much energy in Kw and £'s you have used today, and how that fits with your budget. I say 'my' budget, but actually, its their budget. They put that number in and you are no doubt expected to turn light and TV's off and sit in the cold so you don't go over the number. Instead I decided to save electricity by turning the box off. I'll decide what my 'budget' is thank you very much. Its whatever I need to spend to be warm and comfortable in my own home.

We had to have a new electric meter installed recently, and they put a 'Smart Meter' in with a little display box to say how much energy in Kw and £'s you have used today, and how that fits with your budget. I say 'my' budget, but actually, its their budget. They put that number in and you are no doubt expected to turn light and TV's off and sit in the cold so you don't go over the number. Instead I decided to save electricity by turning the box off. I'll decide what my 'budget' is thank you very much. Its whatever I need to spend to be warm and comfortable in my own home.
I am continually pestered to have a smart meter installed as 'part of your package,valued consumer' so I succumbed and looked forward to entering the new world's technological age.
The great day eventually came and............................................................the electricity meter is too far from the gas meter for them to talk so no smart meter for us.
BTW the distance between the 2 is at least 7metres:eek: