2nd Teams? | Vital Football

2nd Teams?

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
A mate of Deano and me was talking over Xmas about his second team. We ripped into him to be honest.

But got me thinking, do you have a second team?

Personally, I have enough with my (one and only) team. Second team? Well, that would be the Villa u23's I guess!

Anyone got a love or like for another team?

"My" team is Villa, pure and simple. No competition.

There are a few teams, big ones, which I have some liking for, partly for historic reasons:

Chelsea: my nearest ground when I was in London in the 60's. Well it was that or Fulham and Fulham didn't compete. Chelsea had character, players like Bobby Tambling. It was a pleasant place to go to, vast open terraces and a crowd devoid of fanatics. The only London club I liked, really. Becoming Chelski hasn't put me off; the owner is a genuine enthusiast.

Man U: while I dislike the hype, I respect what the team has done, mainly due to Ferguson. Had the courage of his convictions, never changed his approach. Maybe he'd have won more European titles if he had, but the football was positive.

Man C: in some ways the antithesis to Man U. Entertaining but in a different way. Since the Arabs moved in they've built a very sound club and play outstanding football.

All the above are football playing sides, so to me deserve some support.

I do respect what Fergie did, even though it was horrible being beaten by them all the time! He built some very special teams.

I like individual players and I guess enjoyed the Newcastle era under Keegan (one of the first footballers i really noticed as a kid) but even then, they weren't a second team, just a team I was probably more likely to watch if Villa weren't on.

Don't really do the 2nd team thing. I occasionally go and watch Solihull moors as they're local , but I wouldn't class them as a 2nd team. I've been to see Exeter a few times whilst on holiday in Devon

Not a 2nd team as such , but if villa ever didn’t exist anymore ( nearly like last summer) I’d support Portsmouth as I liked their le coq sportif away kit in the 80s. It was basically the same as ours but slightly different colours ,

Villa, only Villa. No interest at all in anything other football wise. Never watch other teams or have slightest interest

Also for me when I’ve had a top away day in the past like qpr with big Ron , and Swindon etc I develop a soft spot for them, especially if had a good laugh with their fans .

Marseille are the only other team whose results I look out for. Went to the city a few times on holiday as a kid and befriended a few locals, one of whom was an absolute stunner of a girl who happened to be marseille fanatic so I got myself invited to a couple of games with her and her extremely scary older brother. Still keep in touch with a couple of the people I befriended and I'll always be fond of the club.

I like others on here dont do second teams but as stated yesterday I have fond memories of being dragged to Molineux in the sixties on occasions and watching Peter Knowles and David Wagstaff, and I occasionally go up to Plymouth as they are the only league club anywhere near where I live.

I spent some time in Munich 20 years ago and I couldn't help being impressed by Bayern, they are absolutely the only club in Germany the rest just make up the numbers now and then. The whole area revolves around BMW and Bayern Munich ..

when I first came to the land down under 12 years ago I needed a footie fix so started going to watch Brisbane roar.
such a good crack as its fanbase is made up of expats with the same need of a footie fix.
most are lower league fans so we all have been through the shit with our English teams. . we all wear our club colors and take the piss out of the Aussies who only believe England have 3 clubs and all wear their plastic tops.
To be honest the football here is shocking but as stated the footie banter is universal.

My family moved to Bristol for a few years back in the early 90s when I went off to uni, so I used to go and watch Bristol City with Dad when I went 'home' for the holidays.

So although not really a 'second team', I do still have a soft spot for the Robins and keep an eye on their results.

I also used to go to see Coventry a fair bit when I was in the 6th form at school as my mate's Dad had a season ticket but could rarely attend for work reasons. So I would go with a free ticket if and when Villa were not playing.

Not second teams but I always look for Walsall and Newports results.

I also have a glance to see how Accrington and Aldershot got on. Just because they came back from the dead and as a fan you know how important it is and how you would feel.

I went to a Barcelona game a few years ago so I sometimes watch their games if they are on TV but that’s about it

I love football. I will watch any football game.

But I have absolutely no interest, can't contemplate, never have, never will support/pay interest into another team.

People that claim to have two teams to support cannot possibly be a proper fan of either in my opinion . Being as totally obsessed with villa as I am I cannot get my head around the concept of supporting two teams at all.

But I have absolutely no interest, can't contemplate, never have, never will support/pay interest into another team.

People that claim to have two teams to support cannot possibly be a proper fan of either in my opinion . Being as totally obsessed with villa as I am I cannot get my head around the concept of supporting two teams at all.
:stupid:

Precisely why I went to Cov and Bristol (at no expense to myself, I might add!)

I certainly don't support anyone else, I just love being at football matches.

Although as stated in the Hated Teams thread, I would draw the line at Wet Spam and Upton Park in particular. Dreadful place, a shit hole of the highest order and now they're playing in a taxpayer-funded stadium. Disgraceful.

Always had a soft spot for Walsall, probably due to having some brilliant nights at their supporters club.