25 years ago tomorrow (1.5.1993). | Vital Football

25 years ago tomorrow (1.5.1993).

GRSGimmer

Vital Squad Member
That never to be forgotten home match against Halifax. That never to be forgotten goal by Paul Baker. How close we were to going out of the football league.

It was the penultimate game. Winning meant we were safe ahead of a trip to Torquay the next week.
I’m not sure if Halifax were relegated after we’d beaten them or if they could still avoid the drop.

The win over Halifax meant they could not then catch us with 1 game left to play. We lost 2-1 at Torquay. IIRC this left Halifax and Northampton still in the mire - Halifax lost their final game 1-0 at home to Hereford and went out the league. Northampton survived. Had we lost to Halifax it would have been us falling through the trap door.

Memories,in Rainham end,old tin roof if I remember correct,everybody on the pitch after,with players coming out,thought we had won the FACup.always remember Halifax supporters were gracious in defeat,

I spoke to Paul Baker some years after that game and he felt that Tony Eeles never got the credit he deserved for the first goal.

This can’t be right, I’ve read with good authority that our 2017-18 squad is the worst we’ve ever had, so how can we have been so close to going out of the league? Sort it out Scally.

10 years old and on the pitch with my old man at the end. Being a Gills fan was much simpler back then in many regards.

Memorable games. Torquay away for the weekend with lots of other gills fans. No one really knew what the future held.

Some very dodgy tashes, caps and shorts in this clip. I reckon the video editor wasn't a halifax fan given the choice of music.

Wayne's point is a good one, Tony Eeles' goal deserves more recognition. A moment of quality amidst the desperation from a player, who later suffered serious illness. In my book his contribution to our cause was as memorable and significant as that of Andy Thomson.