20221008 - PL Match Thread - Brighton & Hove Albion FC vs Tottenham Hotspur | Page 13 | Vital Football

20221008 - PL Match Thread - Brighton & Hove Albion FC vs Tottenham Hotspur

Result?

• Win

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Loss

• Draw

• Total voters
Interesting question that Nick (I know aimed at USAF), if I may add my thoughts:

Cameo is all that was. I'd prefer to see him get 60 mins and more than one cameo to pass judgement. Remember, the kid (like Sarr and until today, Biss) has hardly had a look in and you can't impress in 10 mins. Nonetheless, I thought he tried very hard to impress, ran his arse off and some of his dribbling and movement had that Spanish swagger. Yes, seems lightweight, but imo, with experience his skillset could get him over that hurdle ala Modric.

Didn't read this before I responded...yep this!

Interesting question that Nick (I know aimed at USAF), if I may add my thoughts:

Cameo is all that was. I'd prefer to see him get 60 mins and more than one cameo to pass judgement. Remember, the kid (like Sarr and until today, Biss) has hardly had a look in and you can't impress in 10 mins. Nonetheless, I thought he tried very hard to impress, ran his arse off and some of his dribbling and movement had that Spanish swagger. Yes, seems lightweight, but imo, with experience his skillset could get him over that hurdle ala Modric.

Conte was apparently screaming at him to go into challenges heavier. His physicality has been worked on but its evident its still a problem.

Maybe the Carabao when we ditch it ?

Maybe the Carabao when we ditch it ?
Might turn out to be our only hope of a trophy. But yeah, if we draw the likes of Marine FC, he may get a start.

On a side note, I really hope by starting Biss today gives hope to other peripheral players, may be give Conte encouragement in using the squad depth.

Last edited:
But you have to admit SteveP, our individual basic football skills are poor. The collective is getting us over the line. My thought is just 50% improvement in our general ball control, passing and hold up play would have us scaring the opposition. In the mean time we continue to give hope to every opponent we face. I seriously don't believe it's by design and it relies on a large dollop of luck.

Not complaining about the result, but I don't want to be calling it work in progress every week.
We are very capable of destroying teams as witnessed at the tail end of last season but i don't think you quite understand the sheer amount of work that has to be applied in Conte's system. We're in this lofty position because of Conte's tactical formation. Re-watch the game & i think you'll forgive the sloppy ball control, as frustrating as it may be. His team is well drilled & hard to break down. How many goals have we conceded?

Obviously a baller would be better suited in the transition (it would certainly be easier on the eye). Accept for the time being that this team is a work in progress. 3 of our starters are only 22. There's much more to come from them all.

No Vin, we have turned over a new leaf since ACs arrival. The game was managed superbly from start to finish. We bagged a brilliant result that has catapulted us back into the mix. Let's not forget, this isn't any old team we beat, this is a balling team that made Utd look like also rans not too long ago & gave Liverpool the scare of their lives only last week. The lads were brilliant today.
Fair point SP. Don't get me wrong,I want this Spursey tag gone forever but I just don't think we are there yet Mate but I can see where you are coming from.

We are very capable of destroying teams as witnessed at the tail end of last season but i don't think you quite understand the sheer amount of work that has to be applied in Conte's system. We're in this lofty position because of Conte's tactical formation. Re-watch the game & i think you'll forgive the sloppy ball control, as frustrating as it may be. His team is well drilled & hard to break down. How many goals have we conceded?

Obviously a baller would be better suited in the transition (it would certainly be easier on the eye). Accept for the time being that this team is a work in progress. 3 of our starters are only 22. There's much more to come from them all.
I accept that we see things differently and will leave it at that. Hope your view proves accurate, maintaining our lofty position and we end up destroying teams again. No doubt there will be many more debates on the subject.

I accept that we see things differently and will leave it at that. Hope your view proves accurate, maintaining our lofty position and we end up destroying teams again. No doubt there will be many more debates on the subject.
Ex nailed it with his workmanlike performances but you've got to learn to walk before you can run. Defensively we've been a shambles for far too long, thankfully those days are behind us.

I'm with you SP
Whilst not an elegant performance
It was a job done performance.
A difficult week all round, death of a colleague, defeat last week, away CL game.
A line up with 3 relatively new faces in.
I think if we can use that line up, there could be decent improvement in our performances.
Let's, say Sons attempt counted, how did the result look then, comfortable?
No we didn't put them to bed, but it was, a decent result, yet again away from home against a rested team whose morale was, relatively high.
Job done 3 points Next....

Solid defensive performance - First 15 or so minutes we were lively and after we scored we let them back in it. But all in all this wasn't edge of the sofa stuff; I didn't see Brighton, with all their movement and passing, threatening us.

There was a period in the second half where Brighton tried to lure us forward and we knocked square ball after square ball around for ages...nice game management.

I think we'll break out of our shell and start truly punishing teams at some point, but for now I'll just focus on the "winning" part of "winning ugly" and be happy to collect 3 points each time out.

COYS!

I'm really surprised to see the stick Sess is getting on here. He was beaten a couple of times defensively early on but his forward runs in the first half pinned Brighton back. And a couple of his crosses were actually very good but were made to look poor because there was no one to meet them. He was superb defensively in the second half. It was he who dealt with all the attacks down that side and gave Davies a relatively easy evening.

Ditto Doherty on the other side. Defensively his reading of the game and decision-making was excellent, particularly in the second half. I'd like to have seen him push forward more but the team sat so deep in the second half he couldn't. So much for not being match fit.

I've been very critical of our wingback system and the performances of our wingbacks in general but I thought Sess and Doherty's performances yesterday were the best two of the season.

When you think about the various positions in our system the wingbacks are probably the most demanding. They're expected to have the defensive skills of our CBs, the attacking skills of our forwards and the lungs of Red Rum to get up and down the pitch.

The first 25 minutes was a blueprint of how we can play with a 3-man midfield. Betancur and PEH pressed, tackled and drove forward and totally disrupted Brighton's rhythm. We looked such a good team again.

It's lung-busting stuff though. I don't think PEH has the stamina to play like that for anything like 90 minutes. On a couple of occasions in the second half he received the ball in space in Brighton's half but he just pinged it straight back 20 metres. I don't think he had the energy to turn and run. He had a good game overall though.

Where does Bentancur get his energy? He was everywhere again yesterday. It wasn't always pretty and he gave away a couple of uneccessary free kicks but he constantly hounded and hassled Brighton's players in possession.

Bissouma had a quiet opening 20 minutes or so and it was a sloppy yellow to get, of which, I suspect, we'll see quite a few more. I thought he grew into the game well though until he was hooked.

It was a more committed performance from Kane, a really well-taken goal and he took one for the team at the end.

Son tried hard - he always does - but he gave up possession too easily and too often for a top footballer.

Richarlison, I thought, was poor when he came on. We really needed someone to hold the ball up in Brighton's half but instead he was more often playing passes on the edge of our penalty area. He didn't help relieve the pressure at all.

I don't know why we had to defend so deep in the second half. I suppose when it's backs-to-the-wall you rely on instinct and what you've learned on the training ground. But we just had to push up 10-15 metres and Brighton wouldn't have had a sniff at our goal.

If results are all that matter, we are evolving into a very effective team. Twenty points out of twenty seven in the PL, with only one defeat in a difficult away game, equates to a potential 84-85 points, third place or possibly better. In a league where there is one stand out team and nineteen others, that's a pretty good outcome.
Yesterday's game was true to type, get in front, make virtually no attempt to extend the lead, but make sure we hold on to what we've got. Brighton, who have looked in recent times to be a pretty useful team, were reduced to playing tippy tappy football thru the middle, which our very good back three almost treated with contempt, they were never even remotely troubled.
There is no chance of us playing football the Spurs way, but getting rid of the Spursey way is very much on the agenda.
It would be nice though to see Kulu back in the starting line up, at least he brings a bit of flair to what is predominately pretty turgid stuff. For that reason I fear that he may become more of a bench option than a regular starter.

I'm with you SP
Whilst not an elegant performance
It was a job done performance.
A difficult week all round, death of a colleague, defeat last week, away CL game.
A line up with 3 relatively new faces in.
I think if we can use that line up, there could be decent improvement in our performances.
Let's, say Sons attempt counted, how did the result look then, comfortable?
No we didn't put them to bed, but it was, a decent result, yet again away from home against a rested team whose morale was, relatively high.
Job done 3 points Next....
Exactly. How many clear cut chances did they create? Most were pops from outside the box. We on the other hand should've had 3 at the very least. No matter we stood firm as we're now a disciplined / well drilled unit that will only continue to improve.

Last edited:
No Vin, we have turned over a new leaf since ACs arrival. The game was managed superbly from start to finish. We bagged a brilliant result that has catapulted us back into the mix. Let's not forget, this isn't any old team we beat, this is a balling team that made Utd look like also rans not too long ago & gave Liverpool the scare of their lives only last week. The lads were brilliant today.

All my thoughts summed up here perfectly, thanks SP ;)

Well organised in defence. Gave them little cuance for clear cut efforts and yes, once again that final ball or moment of composure escaped us in the final third but it will come.
Meanwhile we are 3 points behind the team that are going to run away with the league apparently!