20220913 - CL Match Thread - Sporting Lisbon vs Tottenham Hotspur FC | Vital Football

20220913 - CL Match Thread - Sporting Lisbon vs Tottenham Hotspur FC

Result?

• Win

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loss

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is this a joke 80, Sporting dismantled Frankfurt in Germany. I fear the match against them will test if our defence is good enough.

Having been a fan thru many generations of Spurs teams, I have derived much pleasure over the years in watching many Spurs teams, irrespective of the success they achieved, producing exciting, entertaining football, played the Spurs way. Unfortunately therefore, and despite the results achieved thus far this season, I find the turgid, unattractive, boring football that we are churning out currently, almost distressing to watch.
However, success in modern football can only be measured by a Club's ability to dine regularly at the top table of European and PL football. We have only been at that table briefly in sixty years, for a couple of seasons under Pochettino. Paratici and Conte do seem however to be taking us back to that table on a more permanent basis, and at the moment the getting there is more important than the how. This team has however shown in flashes, against Southampton and Fulham in the first half, that we can play a decent brand of football, all the more surprising that we fail to do this with any consistency.
Hopefully our football over the course of time will evolve toward the quality played by heavy hitters like RM and Man City. I'd hate to think that any success we may achieve in the future will be as a modern day version of George Graham's Arsenal.

Having been a fan thru many generations of Spurs teams, I have derived much pleasure over the years in watching many Spurs teams, irrespective of the success they achieved, producing exciting, entertaining football, played the Spurs way. Unfortunately therefore, and despite the results achieved thus far this season, I find the turgid, unattractive, boring football that we are churning out currently, almost distressing to watch.
However, success in modern football can only be measured by a Club's ability to dine regularly at the top table of European and PL football. We have only been at that table briefly in sixty years, for a couple of seasons under Pochettino. Paratici and Conte do seem however to be taking us back to that table on a more permanent basis, and at the moment the getting there is more important than the how. This team has however shown in flashes, against Southampton and Fulham in the first half, that we can play a decent brand of football, all the more surprising that we fail to do this with any consistency.
Hopefully our football over the course of time will evolve toward the quality played by heavy hitters like RM and Man City. I'd hate to think that any success we may achieve in the future will be as a modern day version of George Graham's Arsenal.

Great post.

It still bides the question whether it is the manager's philosophy or the restriction put on by the players he has? I'm still left scratching my head with that one.

If you gave Jose the best eleven players in the world, it would still be way less attractive than Klopp with the same players. If you gave Pep the same players, then Klopp's brand would be questioned.

Where is Conte in that continuum?

What I like about these Portugese sides is that they all generally want to play football. They can't always defend so well, but they do move the ball around. That is what I'm expecting next week.

Just watched Sporting and Marcus Edwards - oh fcuk, this is an embarrassment waiting to happen if we play like last night again..

It's Mourinho tactics and style of play all over again, I made this point a few weeks back.

We won yesterday, but in the first half and much of the second our play was turgid.

keep playing like this and I can see us being badly found out.

It's Mourinho tactics and style of play all over again, I made this point a few weeks back.

We won yesterday, but in the first half and much of the second our play was turgid.

keep playing like this and I can see us being badly found out.

Surely a huge element of that was down to everyones inability to actually pass the ball. I dont for one moment believe Conte coaches them not to be able to place a pass. Bents was particularly off with his passing but the likes of romero, dier, lenglet were very very wasteful.

When we did actually pass the ball correctly players seemed to be in the correct positions to recive and were mobile imo. It amazes me how poor our passing can be and once one does it, it seems to spread throughout the team.

Surely a huge element of that was down to everyones inability to actually pass the ball. I dont for one moment believe Conte coaches them not to be able to place a pass. Bents was particularly off with his passing but the likes of romero, dier, lenglet were very very wasteful.

When we did actually pass the ball correctly players seemed to be in the correct positions to recive and were mobile imo. It amazes me how poor our passing can be and once one does it, it seems to spread throughout the team.
I thought the front 3 were far more culpable last night than the players behind them. None of them seemed able to control the ball quickly enough, if at all. And when they did they were unable to string more than a couple of passes together so we gave up possession far too easily and too often, and so the cycle repeated itself.

The issue was their press; they were pushing up high, but fast to recover, we were falling back and slow in transition, Lloris was culpable with unintelligent distribution, when they pressed they didn't let us breath and swarmed over us, there was no respite under Conte's rigid grid support system.

Our passing was poor as they didn't allow us to dwell for a second and were winning at one stage all the second balls, they pushed us through the middle and hoj and Bent just crumbled under the pressure, our wingbacks won little and couldn't take their man on, for the most part it looked like they had 16 outfield players on and outran and out sprinted us, apart from the sdaly lacking on or two breakaways and a judicious piece of fouling put paid to any attacks we trie dto build.
At one point I was thinking that Gwendouzi (spelling) was doing the job we have no one to do.

We won, but our play was uninspiring and lacked in intelligence ; we desperately need an ATM who can hold, pass, find and create and what we have is two work horses in the middle who occasionally try and get forward.

Conte disappointed me, his tactics once again generated heart attacking football. I hope I am wrong, but carry on like this and sooner rather than later, we're in for a thumping.

But as I said, we won and winning can cover up alot of cracks.

Last edited:
A lot of negativity here, and perhaps rightly so.
People keep saying that we're going to get found out.
So far despite the oppositions' possession and at times dominance in games. They still are very limited in their chances.
And we are as yet unbeaten.
So is there a tactic to play like this, as we've shown that we can be expansive in our play.
I'm a bit lost, and to a degree deflated by some of our performances, which are simply a hard watch.
The outcome is positive, the results in our favour, but I walk away a bit "so what"
Has Son become the "new Delle Ali"
Both he and HK have been lack lustre at times this season.
I suppose it'll be backs to the wall (yet again) at the weekend
Fingers crossed for a result if not an entertaining game.
At least we'll know where we are, and if we will be "found out".

I don't think we have a lot of cracks. Our defence and front 3 are strong. Our left side is OK but our right probably below where it should be. DMF well covered but AMF non existent.

So far despite the oppositions' possession and at times dominance in games. They still are very limited in their chances.
So is there a tactic to play like this, as we've shown that we can be expansive in our play.
I'm a bit lost, and to a degree deflated by some of our performances, which are simply a hard watch.
The outcome is positive, the results in our favour, but I walk away a bit "so what"

They said that the year Pochettino blew the doors off the league (and then the wheels off of Tottenham).

Naff any other team. We have zero reasons to fear anyone.

lol - Richi is the "old Dele Alli"

These games are always different to our domestic league.
Again I feel the standard of the ref will have a lot to do with the tempo of the game.
With that said tho" I know very little of Sporting CP, they do currently sit 10th in their league and can both score and concede.
Another cagey affair, simply because we are away from home and AC despretly wants to progress in this competition
So for me perhaps 2-0 to Spurs at best.

This is one game I don't want to see us fall behind in. If we do the time wasting, feigning injury etc., will far exceed anything we saw from OM and it will be very difficult to get back into the game.

Gone for a draw. Hope we don't lose. Fully expecting to play against another team that has fast attacking play, players with a good first touch that pass and move. I know our results this season are positive, but I struggle to recall the last time we controlled a game (result aside) and felt we were the free flowing skilful team with all players that were up for it for 90+ mins

I'm thinking 2004 Greece!