20211003 PL Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa FC | Page 11 | Vital Football

20211003 PL Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa FC

Result?

• Win

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Loss

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sat in the South Stand today. Rare live Spurs game for me. My observations were as follows

Firstly, Villa were awful. A 2017 Poch team would have won 5-0 against them. They had a very good keeper but nothing to fear across their outfield players.

Secondly, Kavanagh was another joke of a referee. We won 2-1, but played against 12 again. McGinn is an absolutely baby. Goes around kicking people and then rolls around as if he's been shot by a sniper. Both should be ashamed of their behaviour.

As for us, I lost it with Kane for his laziness again. Love some of the classy things he does, but he needs to get out of our club. He's may have gone from 80% effort to about 83% effort, but is still way short of what is acceptable.

I also lost it with Romero in some things he did. Looks a class act one minute, and then has these rushes of blood vacating the space that no centre half should ever vacate. Dier bailed him out loads, but couldn't for the goal. I hope he settles down quickly at the club.

I also left frustrated with Tanguy. He achieved absolutely nothing in everything he did. He looked like he wanted to play in a pre-season friendly when the rest of 2 teams were playing an October PL fixture. He's not misunderstood, he's lazy and lacks intensity. He had a couple of magical moments, but you can't select him on that.

I also thought Skipp was underwhelming. First time I've seen him live. He's not all that. Just an average, honest Joe who we probably need for a while. There is no technical capability or pace playing a partnership of Skipp and Hojbjerg, but I have a horrible feeling it's all we've got for a while. As for Moura, he's just meh. The only one I've seen win headers from Nuno's zonal corner defending, so I'll give him that. He's just short of what we need in the right channel.

Anyway, to the positives. Absolutely loves Sonny's performance today. He looked another level to Kane and our other attacking players. He showed commitment, bravery and won the game. My MoM. I also like Royal's performance as a defender. Tenacious, in their face and athletic all game. I'm glad Nuno has thrown him in at the deep end. Dier was also solid and Reggie improved.

Last thought. Got me wondering whether Emiliano Martinez should be on our radar. He looked a top quality keeper for them with good feet. He's an ex Gooner, but looked like he's too good for Villa. Might not be a bad shout when Lloris finally leaves.
I'm surprised at your comments re. Romero. I saw him make maybe a couple of rash challenges where he vacated the space but nothing more than that. However, that's the big advantage of watching the game live over watching it on TV: you get see the whole pitch and the players movement and positioning in relation to each other. On TV you just get a snapshot of what the cameraman wants to show you.

I'm surprised at your comments re. Romero. I saw him make maybe a couple of rash challenges where he vacated the space but nothing more than that. However, that's the big advantage of watching the game live over watching it on TV: you get see the whole pitch and the players movement and positioning in relation to each other. On TV you just get a snapshot of what the cameraman wants to show you.

Yeah what you see live is where every other player is in relation to him. You can see that he needs to hold his ground or shift across whilst holding his line with the others. Hence my comment.

I think he'll be OK though. He might be our big signing, but also have to remember he's 23. I know for certain that JT was doing exactly what he did yesterday. Fortunately, he had Carvalho and Rio that could read it better than Dier does. To be fair to Dier, he read most of it.

We have to persevere with Romero. Some of his positioning in his box for headers and block was superb. Has a turn of pace as well. When fit, he should play.

Funny how different people's perceptions of a game can be. I thought Romero, Son, Royal and Skipp were decent today. Granted, I missed the last 15 or so mins but they all impressed me.

It was simply a big improvement from everyone on the pitch. I was even glad to see Hojbjerg, who started the game poorly, suddenly turn his game around when he did that classy turn a few minutes before he scored.

Confidence is everything and hopefully today has lifted them.

Like Muttley I too was at the game today and agree with all you have said here Matic. I would just add that Dier was also very good and was with Romero marshalling the back line very well. Yes at times Mr Pointy but in this game he was Mr Pointy with a purpose.

Sat in the South Stand today. Rare live Spurs game for me. My observations were as follows

Firstly, Villa were awful. A 2017 Poch team would have won 5-0 against them. They had a very good keeper but nothing to fear across their outfield players.

Secondly, Kavanagh was another joke of a referee. We won 2-1, but played against 12 again. McGinn is an absolutely baby. Goes around kicking people and then rolls around as if he's been shot by a sniper. Both should be ashamed of their behaviour.

As for us, I lost it with Kane for his laziness again. Love some of the classy things he does, but he needs to get out of our club. He's may have gone from 80% effort to about 83% effort, but is still way short of what is acceptable.

I also lost it with Romero in some things he did. Looks a class act one minute, and then has these rushes of blood vacating the space that no centre half should ever vacate. Dier bailed him out loads, but couldn't for the goal. I hope he settles down quickly at the club.

I also left frustrated with Tanguy. He achieved absolutely nothing in everything he did. He looked like he wanted to play in a pre-season friendly when the rest of 2 teams were playing an October PL fixture. He's not misunderstood, he's lazy and lacks intensity. He had a couple of magical moments, but you can't select him on that.

I also thought Skipp was underwhelming. First time I've seen him live. He's not all that. Just an average, honest Joe who we probably need for a while. There is no technical capability or pace playing a partnership of Skipp and Hojbjerg, but I have a horrible feeling it's all we've got for a while. As for Moura, he's just meh. The only one I've seen win headers from Nuno's zonal corner defending, so I'll give him that. He's just short of what we need in the right channel.

Anyway, to the positives. Absolutely loves Sonny's performance today. He looked another level to Kane and our other attacking players. He showed commitment, bravery and won the game. My MoM. I also like Royal's performance as a defender. Tenacious, in their face and athletic all game. I'm glad Nuno has thrown him in at the deep end. Dier was also solid and Reggie improved.

Last thought. Got me wondering whether Emiliano Martinez should be on our radar. He looked a top quality keeper for them with good feet. He's an ex Gooner, but looked like he's too good for Villa. Might not be a bad shout when Lloris finally leaves.
Re. your point about Kane's laziness. What was the general feeling of the fans in the ground?

People ignoring Dier losing his man for the goal again.

Sorry this is getting stupid now. Of course it wasn't all his fault.

Skippy and Hojbjerg were a little unlucky in the midfield battle that led to the goal. Could have gone either way.

Romero has urges to rush forward. He likes to be close to his man. Typical of the Italian league. But was poor timing. The gap was to big and far up the pitch.

Royal must push out to the right at a quicker pace. Tanganga IMO reads that.

Dier must read that Watkins is there. Every fucking game this guy loses his man and normally costs us a goal.

I'm sick to death of seeing him 8 seasons later making the same mistakes and he gets a free pass. Him having a good game aside is irrelevant. You can not build a solid defensive unit with him in it.

The fact Nuno keeps playing him shows another weakness in Nunos ability to read the game.

Sonny was our best player. He acted like a captain whilst our vice little boy continued to half arse his way around the pitch.

If Skippy isn't made captain then give it to Son. He is now our main man.

Overall a slightly better performance but it was nothing special. I'm not impressed with Nuno at all. He doesn't have the balls and looks tactically weak.

Fair enough but
I hear you but what's said behind the scenes is probably a fair bit different to the vanilla interview responses. Do you think Kane was that terrible though? Think he's got a bit of a target on his back atm, admittedly of his own creation.

I think he's absolutely dreadful and was an anchor to our team yesterday.

Re. your point about Kane's laziness. What was the general feeling of the fans in the ground?

Wasn't too bad. Some comments coming from behind. Everyone went mad though when he tried the elaborate lob when we had 2 players waiting for an easy pass. Then the knives came out for a minute or so. There was a couple of comments as well towards the end to get him off. Nothing like the England fans in the summer. lol - those fans are neutral and mostly Northerners.

Was in the Olive Branch, Park Lane after the game. I did also hear a few of the season ticket holders still having their say. They weren't happy with him, but a couple still thinks he'll recover.

People ignoring Dier losing his man for the goal again.

Sorry this is getting stupid now. Of course it wasn't all his fault.

Skippy and Hojbjerg were a little unlucky in the midfield battle that led to the goal. Could have gone either way.

Romero has urges to rush forward. He likes to be close to his man. Typical of the Italian league. But was poor timing. The gap was to big and far up the pitch.

Royal must push out to the right at a quicker pace. Tanganga IMO reads that.

Dier must read that Watkins is there. Every fucking game this guy loses his man and normally costs us a goal.

I'm sick to death of seeing him 8 seasons later making the same mistakes and he gets a free pass. Him having a good game aside is irrelevant. You can not build a solid defensive unit with him in it.

The fact Nuno keeps playing him shows another weakness in Nunos ability to read the game.

Sonny was our best player. He acted like a captain whilst our vice little boy continued to half arse his way around the pitch.

If Skippy isn't made captain then give it to Son. He is now our main man.

Overall a slightly better performance but it was nothing special. I'm not impressed with Nuno at all. He doesn't have the balls and looks tactically weak.

What you talk about with Dier is his big weakness. It is always the ball coming in low from the RB area that leaves him flat footed. Worth remembering though that he's a stopgap until we find another centre half. I don't think Rodon is rated and have a feeling Sanchez will go next summer. I'm expecting the Dier / Romero partnership to be the main one this season. That is, unless Dier gets injured and one of the others, including Japhet, build a partnership with Romero.

My thoughts....watched 80+ mins on Sky lastnight, 10pm.

Emmerson, very good game, odd lapses, but he will learn the prem, so thumbs up!
Romero, basically the same as Emmerson, again thumbs up
Dier, had a decent game, typical Dier, thumbs up
Reg, ditto Dier
Thought the defence overall was pretty good

Skipp, think still has a lot to learn, but plays with his heart on his sleeve, so thumbs up.
Hoj, had a very good game, everywhere! esp a spectacular finish after the assist from Son, thumbs up

Lucas, well Lucas was Lucas just as we expect, thumbs level.
N'Dom, bleedin hell when will we see what he can do, ok in glimpses, not good enough at the mo, thumbs down
Son, MOM what a game he had, lead the line, tenacious, played like a captain leading by example, double thumbs up.
Kane, the stroller, maybe do cabaret, thinks he only has to turn up, what a let down from what we know he is or can do, thumbs down.

Anyway hopefully onwards and upwards, though another bloody International break is upon us, jesus wept I say!

What you talk about with Dier is his big weakness. It is always the ball coming in low from the RB area that leaves him flat footed. Worth remembering though that he's a stopgap until we find another centre half. I don't think Rodon is rated and have a feeling Sanchez will go next summer. I'm expecting the Dier / Romero partnership to be the main one this season. That is, unless Dier gets injured and one of the others, including Japhet, build a partnership with Romero.

I pray you are right.

I'm not particularly looking at a back 4 of Royal, Romero, Dier, Reggie and thinking this is the way forward.

All of them have major flaws to their game.

My thoughts....watched 80+ mins on Sky lastnight, 10pm.

Emmerson, very good game, odd lapses, but he will learn the prem, so thumbs up!
Romero, basically the same as Emmerson, again thumbs up
Dier, had a decent game, typical Dier, thumbs up
Reg, ditto Dier
Thought the defence overall was pretty good

Skipp, think still has a lot to learn, but plays with his heart on his sleeve, so thumbs up.
Hoj, had a very good game, everywhere! esp a spectacular finish after the assist from Son, thumbs up

Lucas, well Lucas was Lucas just as we expect, thumbs level.
N'Dom, bleedin hell when will we see what he can do, ok in glimpses, not good enough at the mo, thumbs down
Son, MOM what a game he had, lead the line, tenacious, played like a captain leading by example, double thumbs up.
Kane, the stroller, maybe do cabaret, thinks he only has to turn up, what a let down from what we know he is or can do, thumbs down.

Anyway hopefully onwards and upwards, though another bloody International break is upon us, jesus wept I say!

Nice to see some increasing optimism towards our new signings.

I pray you are right.

I'm not particularly looking at a back 4 of Royal, Romero, Dier, Reggie and thinking this is the way forward.

All of them have major flaws to their game.

Yeah, but we saw from Jose that you can't keep changing the back line. Regardless of their faws, we need a stable back four. I would still have Japhet over Royal though.

I agree about the ref but when are they ever fair to us? Kane was visciously attacked on his soft tissue by their centre back all game but he never saw a card.Targett should have seen red for his assault on Emerson. How many times did their midfielders and defenders dive over the ball when in trouble and get the free kick every time. Kane was back to his best bar getting the finishes right. Reggies best game, Son's best game. Loved Emerson. Tanguy looked like he was running off a hangover all game.

First game in years I haven't watched. I had a family event clashing. Good result though. Villa have been decent. I wonder are we just shocking away from home. We weren't that bad in the loss to Chelsea.

First game in years I haven't watched. I had a family event clashing. Good result though. Villa have been decent. I wonder are we just shocking away from home. We weren't that bad in the loss to Chelsea.

Factor in Villa's form is as predictable as ours. They now have 10 points from 7 games. I thought they were very poor.

Fair enough but
I hear you but what's said behind the scenes is probably a fair bit different to the vanilla interview responses. Do you think Kane was that terrible though? Think he's got a bit of a target on his back atm, admittedly of his own creation.

Not so much a target, but anyone who publicly self values himself at 150 mill and clearly wants away from us, will certainly draw attention to himself from all aspects of the game.

If he thinks he's that good, then we want to see that value week in week out. If not, then he's just another player.

There's nothing more common than a player with potential.

Well, I just can't pick our form these days. "It's like a box of chocolates....you never know what you're gonna get".

Massive 3 points indeed. The consequences of a loss do not bare thinking about.

From the limited highlights I watched, Son's energy and application stood out among the rest.

Have we turned a corner? No way, But a win mid week gave us the belief and impetus that we can string together some victories.

Maybe Nuno insists on playing Kane in the hope that his next game will be his comeback.

TBH, without Son and Kane firing on all 8 cylinders, a solid creative MF and a sorted defense, we're all expecting too much from what this squad is offering at the moment.