20211003 PL Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa FC | Page 10 | Vital Football

20211003 PL Match Thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa FC

Result?

• Win

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Loss

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Probably been threatened by Levy to say nothing Negative about Kane....have to keep his value as high as possible....LOL
Leaving aside his work rate his touch has deserted him. And nearly everything he is doing is really slow and he's slowing down the play around him.

Stick two energetic players either side of Son and see the transformation.

Interesting interview by Hojbjerg on the Spurs site. He is urging the team to fight in every game. He wants to kick on from here. The impression perhaps that everyone has not been fighting. ?
Nuno also remarked that the players fought for the second ball after defending set pieces.

Great little flick by Kane in the box to create chance for Loco. Also in the box when Hojbjerg scored so its not like Kane was not trying. He also tried a cheeky lob over the keeper. As Nuno said....it will come.

Some reports saying Kanes link up play was good.
Will have to watch it again. Some times the key touches (back heel etc) stick in mind and accentuate perception.

Just as I remember Royal.... while he had a good defensive game, I was disappointed with his crossing. He was slow executing and hit the defender facing him at least 3 times.

Will have to watch it again. Some times the key touches (back heel etc) stick in mind and accentuate perception.

Just as I remember Royal.... while he had a good defensive game, I was disappointed with his crossing. He was slow executing and hit the defender facing him at least 3 times.

I'm glad he had a good defensive game. It suggests he is getting in tune with his team and the PL. As he has a language barrier fair play to him.

I was disappointed with Villa today.

I've seen highlights of most of their games this season and they appeared to play with far more flair and invention. But highlights can distort reality.

It was almost dinosaur football at times. Yes, there was great energy and pressing, but their game plan seemed no more than getting as many high balls into the box as possible. I'm not sure what value their set-piece expert brings because there was little variation in their method.

On the flipside I thought we dealt with the aerial bombardment superbly. When you think of how weak we've been at corners this season today we dealt with almost everything. I can hardly remember one of the Villa players getting a clear header at goal. There was the odd scramble but overall it was a fabulous effort by our defence.

Last edited:
I was disappointed with Villa today.

I've seen highlights of most of their games this season and they appeared to play with far more flair and invention. But highlights can distort reality.

It was almost dinosaur football at times. Yes, there was great energy and pressing, but their game plan seemed no more than getting as many high balls into the box as possible. I'm not sure what value their set-piece expert brings because there was little variation in their method.

On the flipside I thought we dealt with the aerial bombardment superbly. When you think of weak we've been at corners this season today we dealt with almost everything. I can hardly remember one of the Villa players getting a clear header at goal. There was the odd scramble but overall it was a fabulous effort by our defence.

Yes, Nuno alluded to this, and our second ball closing down. Pretty basic stuff though, it should be automatic.

Great little flick by Kane in the box to create chance for Loco. Also in the box when Hojbjerg scored so its not like Kane was not trying. He also tried a cheeky lob over the keeper. As Nuno said....it will come.
My gripe is that the “cheeky lob” was desperate when he could have rolled the ball into a half- empty box for someone to run on to and shoot.

I didn’t see the game , I got to see the last two minutes , and haven’t seen the highlights yet , will have to wait for match of the day , don’t really fancy the thirty seconds on Sky .
What sort of game was it . Was there an improvement ?
I heard there was a demonstration outside the stadium. Who was it against . ?

I didn’t see the game , I got to see the last two minutes , and haven’t seen the highlights yet , will have to wait for match of the day , don’t really fancy the thirty seconds on Sky .
What sort of game was it . Was there an improvement ?
I heard there was a demonstration outside the stadium. Who was it against . ?

well if we are to take small but positive steps forward, then this performance ticked that box at least.

Better going forward.
Better runs off the ball and getting in behind.
Defensively ok but still a bit last ditch panic clearing of the ball.
Kane a bit more involved but still a 4/10 whilst Sonny ran the show up top.
Skipp an ever-improving menace.
The right result and deserved imho…

Sat in the South Stand today. Rare live Spurs game for me. My observations were as follows

Firstly, Villa were awful. A 2017 Poch team would have won 5-0 against them. They had a very good keeper but nothing to fear across their outfield players.

Secondly, Kavanagh was another joke of a referee. We won 2-1, but played against 12 again. McGinn is an absolutely baby. Goes around kicking people and then rolls around as if he's been shot by a sniper. Both should be ashamed of their behaviour.

As for us, I lost it with Kane for his laziness again. Love some of the classy things he does, but he needs to get out of our club. He's may have gone from 80% effort to about 83% effort, but is still way short of what is acceptable.

I also lost it with Romero in some things he did. Looks a class act one minute, and then has these rushes of blood vacating the space that no centre half should ever vacate. Dier bailed him out loads, but couldn't for the goal. I hope he settles down quickly at the club.

I also left frustrated with Tanguy. He achieved absolutely nothing in everything he did. He looked like he wanted to play in a pre-season friendly when the rest of 2 teams were playing an October PL fixture. He's not misunderstood, he's lazy and lacks intensity. He had a couple of magical moments, but you can't select him on that.

I also thought Skipp was underwhelming. First time I've seen him live. He's not all that. Just an average, honest Joe who we probably need for a while. There is no technical capability or pace playing a partnership of Skipp and Hojbjerg, but I have a horrible feeling it's all we've got for a while. As for Moura, he's just meh. The only one I've seen win headers from Nuno's zonal corner defending, so I'll give him that. He's just short of what we need in the right channel.

Anyway, to the positives. Absolutely loves Sonny's performance today. He looked another level to Kane and our other attacking players. He showed commitment, bravery and won the game. My MoM. I also like Royal's performance as a defender. Tenacious, in their face and athletic all game. I'm glad Nuno has thrown him in at the deep end. Dier was also solid and Reggie improved.

Last thought. Got me wondering whether Emiliano Martinez should be on our radar. He looked a top quality keeper for them with good feet. He's an ex Gooner, but looked like he's too good for Villa. Might not be a bad shout when Lloris finally leaves.

Sat in the South Stand today. Rare live Spurs game for me. My observations were as follows

Firstly, Villa were awful. A 2017 Poch team would have won 5-0 against them. They had a very good keeper but nothing to fear across their outfield players.

Secondly, Kavanagh was another joke of a referee. We won 2-1, but played against 12 again. McGinn is an absolutely baby. Goes around kicking people and then rolls around as if he's been shot by a sniper. Both should be ashamed of their behaviour.

As for us, I lost it with Kane for his laziness again. Love some of the classy things he does, but he needs to get out of our club. He's may have gone from 80% effort to about 83% effort, but is still way short of what is acceptable.

I also lost it with Romero in some things he did. Looks a class act one minute, and then has these rushes of blood vacating the space that no centre half should ever vacate. Dier bailed him out loads, but couldn't for the goal. I hope he settles down quickly at the club.

I also left frustrated with Tanguy. He achieved absolutely nothing in everything he did. He looked like he wanted to play in a pre-season friendly when the rest of 2 teams were playing an October PL fixture. He's not misunderstood, he's lazy and lacks intensity. He had a couple of magical moments, but you can't select him on that.

I also thought Skipp was underwhelming. First time I've seen him live. He's not all that. Just an average, honest Joe who we probably need for a while. There is no technical capability or pace playing a partnership of Skipp and Hojbjerg, but I have a horrible feeling it's all we've got for a while. As for Moura, he's just meh. The only one I've seen win headers from Nuno's zonal corner defending, so I'll give him that. He's just short of what we need in the right channel.

Anyway, to the positives. Absolutely loves Sonny's performance today. He looked another level to Kane and our other attacking players. He showed commitment, bravery and won the game. My MoM. I also like Royal's performance as a defender. Tenacious, in their face and athletic all game. I'm glad Nuno has thrown him in at the deep end. Dier was also solid and Reggie improved.

Last thought. Got me wondering whether Emiliano Martinez should be on our radar. He looked a top quality keeper for them with good feet. He's an ex Gooner, but looked like he's too good for Villa. Might not be a bad shout when Lloris finally leaves.

Mutt spot on. Son an Royal were my two standouts....by a mile.

Funny how different people's perceptions of a game can be. I thought Romero, Son, Royal and Skipp were decent today. Granted, I missed the last 15 or so mins but they all impressed me.

It was simply a big improvement from everyone on the pitch. I was even glad to see Hojbjerg, who started the game poorly, suddenly turn his game around when he did that classy turn a few minutes before he scored.

Confidence is everything and hopefully today has lifted them.

No but saying someone is doing well when they're undermining the team will have a detrimental outcome.
Fair enough but
No but saying someone is doing well when they're undermining the team will have a detrimental outcome.
I hear you but what's said behind the scenes is probably a fair bit different to the vanilla interview responses. Do you think Kane was that terrible though? Think he's got a bit of a target on his back atm, admittedly of his own creation.