2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 37 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

I agree, the key position is going to be Grabban's replacement; key in terms of having a focal point for our attacking players to work off and key in terms of money we spend.

I still think there is one big season left in Grabban; if so, it gives us the chance to get a striker, possibly from the lower leagues, who can come in and adapt to what is required, and be free of the pressure of having to be an instant hit.

The players we need for other positions should be more affordable.

We effectively have a squad of 16 players once you include the likes of Johnson, Fornah and Gabriel, which leaves us 7 or 8 players short; I reckon we will have 4 or 5 of those before the end of the month.

I agree with most of that but am surprised you suggest additions by end of month. Most agents will be away at Euro’s jollies till July 11 th and players, staff away on hols till similar date. Can’t see much movement in transfers anywhere till mid July and players back in pre season. I say this so as to keep expectation down. I would like to think you are right as early movement indicates forward planning and better preparation but think everyone is in same boat and in need of a break.

I disagree. Man U and Garner plus agent will make decision where he will go. Feel he is not ready for Man U first team squad yet thus another loan. Will a season like you describe at somewhere like Norwich move his career forward? Not much. He had a good half season with us but he wasn’t completely dominant. Surely the path is another season at championship before a season at a lower premiership club. It is 40 games a season he needs not 8.

I agree with statement about Ribz and Ameobi. Hope we go for some younger players who have played a couple of seasons at league level.
You see, if I were Man Utd I would only consider Forest as a last resort, if no one else wanted him; which won't be the case.

Yes, he needs games for development. But it's not just about number of games; it's about the standard. The standard of opposition and the standard of players he is playing alongside.

Their thinking on this was clear last season; they sent him to Watford so he could play at a decent level alongside some very good, successful players. He went to forest only when he wasn't getting the games to make the other benefits of being at Watford worth it

Garner came into the Forest team and was immediately our best player; not by a whisker, but by a mile.

What does Garner gain by playing again in a side where he is better than all the other players; where the team rarely win, rarely attack? Honestly, which midfielders in the forest squad are going to teach Garner anything? He could teach all our midfielders, including the older ones, plenty about all aspects of the game. And it's not like Garner is even a world beater himself.

The fact is, Forest last season were one of the worst sides in the division; we were probably one of the four worst on end-of-season form (Wycombe were winning more games than us, because we won sod all in the last 6 games).

Garner can get championship games almost anywhere; most of the 16 teams that were better than us last season would take him. He could go to a lower PL side, play with some good players and occasionally play against even better ones.

If I were Man Utd I would need a lot of convincing to even consider forest for a loan for him; at the very least I would be waiting to see our transfer activity and whether we are signing anyone it would be worth him playing alongside.

The initiated disaster of the two 2020 transfer is what has led us to this

You see, if I were Man Utd I would only consider Forest as a last resort, if no one else wanted him; which won't be the case.

Yes, he needs games for development. But it's not just about number of games; it's about the standard. The standard of opposition and the standard of players he is playing alongside.

Their thinking on this was clear last season; they sent him to Watford so he could play at a decent level alongside some very good, successful players. He went to forest only when he wasn't getting the games to make the other benefits of being at Watford worth it

Garner came into the Forest team and was immediately our best player; not by a whisker, but by a mile.

What does Garner gain by playing again in a side where he is better than all the other players; where the team rarely win, rarely attack? Honestly, which midfielders in the forest squad are going to teach Garner anything? He could teach all our midfielders, including the older ones, plenty about all aspects of the game. And it's not like Garner is even a world beater himself.

The fact is, Forest last season were one of the worst sides in the division; we were probably one of the four worst on end-of-season form (Wycombe were winning more games than us, because we won sod all in the last 6 games).

Garner can get championship games almost anywhere; most of the 16 teams that were better than us last season would take him. He could go to a lower PL side, play with some good players and occasionally play against even better ones.

If I were Man Utd I would need a lot of convincing to even consider forest for a loan for him; at the very least I would be waiting to see our transfer activity and whether we are signing anyone it would be worth him playing alongside.

True. You don't develop as a player playing with a standard of player that is vastly beneath you.

They may as well keep him in the U23’s on that criteria. Disagree. Nothing beats game time experience. He can sometimes learn more playing in a struggling team than playing in a team that beats everyone 10-0. Depends on what Man U feel they want out of the loan. He could have sat on the bench at Watford and got much of what you are suggesting. We will see.

I can only assume Sow was let go due to being made of biscuits.

That and being a massive liability did not help his cause.

40 games in 2 seasons, and collecting 15 bookings in the process, is a poor return; if you TRANSPOSE those bookings over a full season it comes out at 17 per season.

Even if he was not in such poor health he would still miss two months of the season through suspension.

True. You don't develop as a player playing with a standard of player that is vastly beneath you.

Of course you do.

He will have been taught good habits at United; they will be keen to know that he is maintaining those habits wherever he goes; having trust in the Coach he will be playing for will be a very larger determining factor.

United nearly got their fingers burnt at Watford and will not want that to happen again; that's what makes me think he will not go to a PL Club as there is a good chance he will start the season with one manager and finish with another.

As for his development; United know how good he is in terms of his strengths and weaknesses; they will now be looking at other facets of his game - how he maintains his discipline, how he reacts to adversity, what kind of impact he is having on games, is he taking on sufficient responsibility and a host of other attributes.

Players like Garner go out on loan for a reason, and its all tied in with their development plan; United will be more interested in Garner doing the right things rather than doing them at a particular level, and next season will most probably be a seminal season for him.

It does not always matter what is going on around you; look at our U18s, they finished bottom of the League yet kept on churning out 16, 17 and 18 year olds for the U23s; sometimes it is about the individual.

That and being a massive liability did not help his cause.

40 games in 2 seasons, and collecting 15 bookings in the process, is a poor return; if you TRANSPOSE those bookings over a full season it comes out at 17 per season.

Even if he was not in such poor health he would still miss two months of the season through suspension.

Also true.

I reckon we have a chance of bringing Clarke, Garner and the kid from Chelsea McCormick

I reckon we have as good a chance of anyone of getting Garner back.

I was confident we would get Clarke up until Mourinho got the bullet; not sure what will happen now that Conti will be in charge.

Heard nothing about McCormick.

He's not one of the McCormick's from Mullingar is he?

Might be related if he is.

I reckon we have as good a chance of anyone of getting Garner back.

I was confident we would get Clarke up until Mourinho got the bullet; not sure what will happen now that Conti will be in charge.

Heard nothing about McCormick.

He's not one of the McCormick's from Mullingar is he?

Might be related if he is.

No idea, just a name put around at the weekend even at Carlton FC. They were the three most credible. Someone mention Victor Moses which was met with much laughter

In the grand scheme of things he was also only an average Championship player at best when he did play...

He may have been only an average Championship player at best when he did play, but he was one of our best players.

Congratulations, you get the first points of the year for the first tired annual trope- the owd "we shouldn't make any comments on the transfer window [that poster doesn't like] until the transfer window is over" at which, of course, it's too late to really express any concerns.

You may have missed the last 20 years or so, but to fill you in; no, there is NO guarentee that we'll "clearly" get some in, and the chances of any we do get in being actually any good are significantly less than that given our record.

Football is all about the hope that somehow, this season will be different. Perhaps the difference between us is that i have hope and your post suggests expectation.

Id award u pts for the first moan of the season except u r generally grumpy atm

Hard to argue with this.