2021/2022 Off Season | Vital Football

2021/2022 Off Season

finbar70

Vital Football Hero
Morning Chaps,

What is everyone's opinion/hopes for the off season, and how we sort this shit show out? Just starting a thread to see what everyone's ideas are, as I feel we have to get this right this summer and set ourselves a 2 year target to get up ...

Manager - Stay or go?

Loans - Christie, Garner, Knocks, Krov, Freeman, Murray - Buy any, extend any..?

Out of Contract - Hefe, Clough, Dawson, Ribs, Diallo, Smith, Ameobi, Sow - I would offer another year to Ribs, and Smith

Sell or Loan out - Cafu, Bachirou, Arter, Jenks, Bong, Figs, Da Costa, Grabban, Carvalho

Bring back - Johnson, Gabriel, McGuane, Ioannou,

The above shows 20 players out of the door (Keeping Ribs and Smith) and bringing back 4 players into the squad.

2021/2022 Squad - Samba, Smith, Ioannou, Ribs, Gabriel, Soh, Worrall, McKenna, Blackett, Colback, Yates, Lolley, Mighten, Johnson, Taylor, McGuane, - 16 squad players.

Buy/Loan - With 16 players above, we need a squad of 22-24. Maybe McGuane goes back out on loan so say 15. We will 7-8 players ...

To buy - Right Back, 2 x starting calibre central mids, 2 x wingers, 2 x centre forwards, a creative number 10.
How many of the current loans would you have in the 8 players above? Krov, Garner. And how much will bringing in 7 or 8 players cost us, verses the wage savings and any fees we get on our sales (if any)

I feel we have paid this season for so much change. Let’s go for some stability where we can but shrink size of squad. Clubs will be in financial constraints thus some out of contract players will be available at reduced costs/wages.

Of the loans mentioned above, I would let Christie go back and give Gabriel/Richardson a chance. If we could loan Garner again, let’s make it happen. Knocks, Freeman and Murray can go back. Krov not bothered either way. If he stays he is possibly blocking BJ.

Of out of contracts I would renew Ribz, Ameobi and Smith. Rest can go.

Of the sell or loan out group. If anyone wants them they can go. Grabban can go if we can line up a couple of replacements. Is Cafu only on loan?

Our biggest problem is finding 2 strikers. We have players in all other positions and cover. CH stays. Big cull. 12 out and four in. We also need pace.

I couldn’t blame Worrall if he chose to go. Would try to keep as feel McK Woz pairing has promise. Could promise him that if Forest are not within three points of top two we would accept £11m.

Stick with CH as he's steadied it give him a summer to add players he's chosen, he won't be here by Xmas if we are as boring and the results aren't there. I'd keep Riberio, Smith and Ameobi, loans I'd take knock if it's under £5m maybe Christie if he's cheap and loan Garner again the rest can go. Need 2 new strikers preferably one mid 20s with experience and maybe a younger one both with some sort of pace, a right footed fast wide player and a new lb. So many need moving on they need to be on it as soon as the window opens, this season's been horrible and the divisions as weak as it's been we missed a trick could have been our year if we weren't still recovering from the shit show end to last season.

Stick with CH as he's steadied it give him a summer to add players he's chosen, he won't be here by Xmas if we are as boring and the results aren't there. I'd keep Riberio, Smith and Ameobi, loans I'd take knock if it's under £5m maybe Christie if he's cheap and loan Garner again the rest can go. Need 2 new strikers preferably one mid 20s with experience and maybe a younger one both with some sort of pace, a right footed fast wide player and a new lb. So many need moving on they need to be on it as soon as the window opens, this season's been horrible and the divisions as weak as it's been we missed a trick could have been our year if we weren't still recovering from the shit show end to last season.
Agreed. 2 of The relegated prem teams will be weaker than last season (Sheff Utd and WBA) although the League 1 promoted teams could be stronger

Think we should stick with the manager & assuming that happens then the rest of it depends to a great extent on how he wants to play. E.G. is he considering 3 at the back or stick with current formation. I would consider Christie if his terms are reasonable, offer Ribero another contract but in all honesty we need someone better preferably someone who can deliver a cross when they are in an advanced position. I think Smith should be allowed to go.
Ameobi worth another year but only as a squad man. would like to see Garner here for another year but unconvinced by Krovinovic and hope full Johnson can fill that role next season. Knockhart is a no from me, so we will need a couple of wingers, but most importantly a couple of proper centre forwards preferably who can offer different attributes, but pace, power strength are musts. Ideally I would like to see a more orthodox goalkeeper as well.
I presume we will lose Worrall to finance other signings but really hope not if we do we will need another centre half as well. Be interesting to see what CH makes of the returning loan players and whether he sees any of them doing a job for us if so would make things easier not to mention cheaper

I think we have to stick with Hughton and give him the resources that he needs to build a competitive squad.

If that happens then very few of the players that are here now will still be here if he has his way.

Could be another busy and interesting summer.

I think we have to stick with Hughton and give him the resources that he needs to build a competitive squad.

If that happens then very few of the players that are here now will still be here if he has his way.

Could be another busy and interesting summer.

Generally agree but another half season of the shithouse special and some people will go nuts. If we dont get the results to make us competitive alongside that then everyone will go nuts. We change manager style again and boom back in the same place.

What i hope is that CH is backed, i hope we go with something a bit more expansive but we need to spend on strikers and wingers as a minimum imo

Generally agree but another half season of the shithouse special and some people will go nuts. If we dont get the results to make us competitive alongside that then everyone will go nuts. We change manager style again and boom back in the same place.

What i hope is that CH is backed, i hope we go with something a bit more expansive but we need to spend on strikers and wingers as a minimum imo
People are going nuts about Hughton already but realistically what more can he do? The players he has just aren’t up to it and I think he has tried most combinations.

Granted he hasn’t tried 3 at the back but I don’t think that is where our problems are.

Hughton has a great record in this division and I don’t think and certainly don’t trust our owner to bring in anyone better.

People are going nuts about Hughton already but realistically what more can he do? The players he has just aren’t up to it and I think he has tried most combinations.

Granted he hasn’t tried 3 at the back but I don’t think that is where our problems are.

Hughton has a great record in this division and I don’t think and certainly don’t trust our owner to bring in anyone better.

Yup i think we will see just how serious the owner is because the expensive parts of the team need attention and the recruitment team haven't exactly excelled at unearthing any gems.

Samba, Ribs, Gabriel, Soh, Worrall, Figz, McKenna, Blackett, Yates, Mighten, Johnson, Sow, Taylor, Christie MAYBE, Garner, Knocks MAYBE, Krov,

Manager - Stay

Buy 4 or 5 young pacey attack minded players
no new centre halves
no new holding midfielders

Suggesting 3 at the back clearly isnt about our blooming defending is it?
Hmmm, maybe thats the precise issue, CH thinks like you

Suggesting 3 at the back clearly isnt about our blooming defending is it?
Hmmm, maybe thats the precise issue, CH thinks like you
It’s a good job he doesn’t think like you then as you have clearly missed the point.

It’s a good job he doesn’t think like you then as you have clearly missed the point.
No I really didnt, ya just missed my perspective.
I dont think CH jas had that much stick anyway, hes stuck in the honeymoon period until he has his own players, we accept that. What we do know tho, that he isnt particularly talented at improving players

Last edited:
Sack the manager. Massive clear out. 8 new players, or so, in the first eleven.

Surely it will work this time. Obviously we shouldn't expect any decent results before Christmas - they will need time to gel.
8 sounds harsh for sure, but if we lost several players who have actually been in the side the last month or so, say Bong, Jenkinson, Bachirou, Murray and just one of the bootboys like Figz or CC thats already 5 or 6 that many wouldnt miss, then take out Grabban and Freeman or Knocky, we might well be close to having 8 new players in the side and we al be glad about it

8 sounds harsh for sure, but if we lost several players who have actually been in the side the last month or so, say Bong, Jenkinson, Bachirou, Murray and just one of the bootboys like Figz or CC thats already 5 or 6 that many wouldnt miss, then take out Grabban and Freeman or Knocky, we might well be close to having 8 new players in the side and we al be glad about it
Screenshot_20210310-074319_Google.jpg