1993 Player of the Season | Vital Football

1993 Player of the Season

factchecker

Vital Squad Member
Anywhere that I've looked online (OS, wikipedia, thecityground.com), reports that the player of the season in 1993 (Clough's last season) was Steve Sutton. However, this seems incredibly unlikely for a number of reasons.

1. He didn't play any games for us that season.
2, His last Forest game was in 1990.
3. He was a bloody Derby County player at the time.

I'm almost certain that Roy Keane was player of the season that year but had left before they awarded it. Can anyone confirm?

factchecker - 1/3/2018 17:26

Anywhere that I've looked online (OS, wikipedia, thecityground.com), reports that the player of the season in 1993 (Clough's last season) was Steve Sutton. However, this seems incredibly unlikely for a number of reasons.

I'm almost certain that Roy Keane was player of the season that year but had left before they awarded it. Can anyone confirm?

We did get relegated that season so were obviously pretty bad.
Maybe Sutton did win it ?

I think you might be right, didn't Roy Keane play centre back, a despite it not being his position still head and shoulders better than anyone else. I think even clough played a bit at centre back, that's how shite it got

I think you might be right, didn't Roy Keane play centre back, a despite it not being his position still head and shoulders better than anyone else. I think even clough played a bit at centre back, that's how shite it got

Mark Crossley was the keeper that season.

It would have been Clough or Keane; it certainly wasn't Bannister or Rosario

There’s a board with all the players of the season on it in the main stand.

LyttleByLyttle - 2/3/2018 12:03

Woanz - 1/3/2018 20:10

There’s a board with all the players of the season on it in the main stand.

It’s not been called the main stand for a while duck.

FACTCHECKED

I don’t consider it an appropriate tribute to Mr Taylor to name a knackered old stand that was in place before he arrived, after he left, then died & shows no signs of being replaced so I will call it the main stand, like I would have never called anything the Shylock money shop stand.

Consigna & scope.

orbitalforest - 1/3/2018 17:33

factchecker - 1/3/2018 17:26

We did get relegated that season so were obviously pretty bad.
Maybe Sutton did win it ?

Crossley was firmly Nr 1 then, so would be a surprise if Sutton won it.

92/93 would be Keane or Clough.

Mike78 - 1/3/2018 17:59

Keane played at Centreback during the League Cup Semi win at Spurs - where his extra time bullet header won the game.

Remember Cloughie playing at Sweeper away at Wimbledon to try to combat Fashanu etc around 1990 - think we won 3-1.

nffcSaveChip - 2/3/2018 12:56

Mike78 - 1/3/2018 17:59

Keane played at Centreback during the League Cup Semi win at Spurs - where his extra time bullet header won the game.

I was standing behind the goal when it went in. What a day that was.

Me too, it was often a happy hunting ground for us. Does anyone remember Bergson getting in Psycho's face and Psycho grabbing him by the throat and Bergson shitting it. Think it was on the touchline.