18th May 1982 | Vital Football

18th May 1982

They have much happier memories than us. Though fair play Tony Gale and a couple of the other players acknowledged the contribution of the us travelling Imps to the fantastic atmosphere, still don't know how we didn't score a second winning goal that would have sent us up above them.

We were 18th in the league at the end of January and Burnley (who won the league) were 15th.

It's nice to hear what a special night we gave them :lol:

Seriously though, I enjoyed watching it even though it was told from the other side's perspective as it still invokes a lot of vivid of memories even now.

I was a pupil at Immingham Comp. and the PE teacher who ran the sports teams in my year was a tough sarcastic character who brooked no nonsense, but he made a point of quietly coming over the next day and saying he was really sorry the Imps hadn't made it the night before. You remember stuff like that.

I was there. Went on a minibus from Leicester with about 12 or so other exiles. This included one lad we had recently met at Leicester station wearing an Imps scarf,so we roped him in to make up the numbers. His conversation was a bit limited though,all I remember him saying was F**k off Fulham !

We were 18th in the league at the end of January and Burnley (who won the league) were 15th.
And had George Shipley scored with his penalty at Turf Moor, Carlisle would have been champions, Lincoln would have gone up in second place, Fulham in third, and Burnley would have stayed down; tiny but huge margins.

I don’t remember getting a match ticket in advance, presume it wasn’t all ticket on the terrace