1893/4 Replica Shirt | Vital Football

1893/4 Replica Shirt

jogills

Vital Football Hero
Following on from the thread on the choice of 4 away strips for next season I have been thinking about an actual replica. I fully understand the reasons for having a modern take and for the sponsor's logo and the likelihood that 21st entury footballers might not wish to perform in a 19th century shirt. I do like the idea of one for leisure wear however and contacted Toffs accordingly. Their response was as follows:

It looks similar to our Newcastle United 1950s cup final shirt, see link below:

https://www.toffs.com/newcastle-united-1950s-cup-final-retro-football-shirt

" the price is dependant on quantity, if we were to produce a one off shirt then it would be made as a "special" and would cost ?55 for the shirt plus ?25 for badge origination and postage (?5 for UK delivery). If you were to order a quantity of 20 then we could offer a trade discount of 25% off the shirt price of ?50. The badge origination would still be ?25 one off fee and postage is ?9.95 for UK delivery for up to 50 shirts.

We would need permission from the club to replicate the badge.

Should you wish to proceed with an order please bear in mind that we will be extremely busy the run up to and during the World Cup and production time is 4-6 weeks for a bulk order.

50% payment would be required on placing the order with the balance due prior to despatch."

If you check out the link it is a remarkably similar shirt. As to the badge I suspect Scally would not play ball but that doesn't matter because the 1893/4 shirt did not carry one. We could always apply badges of our choice, design one for Toffs to originate, or just take plain shirts.

Perhaps I am the only one, who would like such an item but if there are 20 others then it's a deal cheaper.

Love the idea, just as an aside and forgive my ignorance but would the club still own rights to a New Brompton badge as it's not New Brompton any more? Although there wasn't one on that shirt, there may have been a badge/crest we could use without the club's permission? Not sure how this works legally but, as you say, the slightest whiff of some money coming in would surely prick up Mr Scally's ears.

Alternatively, how about just the Kent invicta rampant horse? Would there be any copyright issues with that? Would seem appropriate to me.

Roger Triggs confirms that there was no New Brompton badge and I haven't been able to find anything municipal. I have found this rather splendid, early Borough of Gillingham badge

http://www.ngw.nl/heraldrywiki/index.php/File:Gillingh.jpg

Yeah, I think that was the one (or similar) on the GFC centenary kit (2012-13) wasn't it?

Shame there was no New Brompton badge, would have added a nice sense of authenticity. Without it, it's just a black and white stripey top .

Out of interest, I wonder if there are any originals lying around in a loft or garage somewhere left by one of the players, that would be a good find!!!

Nobby_66 - 6/2/2018 21:27

Yeah, I think that was the one (or similar) on the GFC centenary kit (2012-13) wasn't it?

Shame there was no New Brompton badge, would have added a nice sense of authenticity. Without it, it's just a black and white stripey top .

Out of interest, I wonder if there are any originals lying around in a loft or garage somewhere left by one of the players, that would be a good find!!!

I think Wayne still wears his to matches.

Yes, that is the one on the GFC centenary shirt, albeit in only blue / red / white

nibbles - 6/2/2018 21:52

I think Wayne still wears his to matches.

:1:

I mentioned on another thread, the famous GFC original nod to the Brompton kit for our 1993 centenary - where we similarly donned the white and black away. I have one at home which I proudly wear to matches now and again (when I don't I have a blue Spall/Medway Toyota home one from about the same era).

It wasn't too hard to find a Youtube clip of us playing in it. For VFM, I have suggested to the club, that we wear it at all away games next season where there isn't a clash (i.e. not against team in black and/or white).

https://youtu.be/tUgwuxgPyQE

I mentioned on another thread, the famous GFC original nod to the Brompton kit for our 1993 centenary - where we similarly donned the white and black away. I have one at home which I proudly wear to matches now and again (when I don't I have a blue Spall/Medway Toyota home one from about the same era).

It wasn't too hard to find a Youtube clip of us playing in it. For VFM (and to prevent us having a commemorative kit that's worn about 4 times), I have suggested to the club, that we wear it at all away games next season where there isn't a clash (i.e. not against team in black and/or white).

It wasn't too hard to find a Youtube clip of us playing in it. For VFM (and to prevent us having a commemorative kit that's worn about 4 times), I have suggested to the club, that we wear it at all away games next season where there isn't a clash (i.e. not against team in black and/or white).