MATCH THREAD … The NLD 28/4/24 Home | Page 4 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD … The NLD 28/4/24 Home

Saka and Martinelli are busy and pacey. I would certainly play either a back 3 with VDV left side to deal with Saka and Drag right side to deal with Martinelli with Romero dictating in the middle. if not VDV as LB and Royal at RB (assuming Porro misses out. We don't need to expect him to play the inverted FB roll that Udogie does just defend well.
Centre of the pitch is where they can really hurt us. We need to win the ball and retain it. Keep giving it away that we have a habit of doing lately then Rice and Odegaard will punish us.
I'm not actually sure who we put in there if I'm honest. Bissouma seems to be well off the pace, Sarr as much as I rate him has been a bit hit and miss. Bents still doesn't look fit and PEH isn't everyone's favourite.
Assuming Madders starts I think I'd go PEH, Bents and Madders with Sarr, Bissouma, Deki as fresh legs.

🤷‍♂️

No Udogie..

So surely it MUST be VDV (LWB) Dragusin and Romero, so a back three if Porro isn't fit and a back four with Porro at RWB....

IF Ange doesn't start like this now, then we can all believe Dragu isn't the player we all hoped he'd be..

I can't believe that....Drago was never given any type of shot...and hell why not? Romero isn't exactly playing well? Why not rotate Drago in?

But hey we are Spurs...I totally can see us doing the Spurs thing and selling him off after spending a lot of money on him and giving no shot....and another team will snap him up and he will play extremely well...

So I guess I can believe it..

I think you're both wrong and VDV will start on the left and Romero in the middle with Dragusin on the right....

If that happens, then we might learn a little more about our new manager.

Venom
Dragusin, Romero, VDV
Porro, Biss, Bents, Sarr
Madds
Johnson, Werner

Keep the first half as tight as possible. Then think about guys like Sonny, Kulu and Richi.

I'm still cynical that the tactics will change though.

I think you're both wrong and VDV will start on the left and Romero in the middle with Dragusin on the right....

I would love to see us play a back 3....

But I agree with 80, I think AP will play Royal on the right for Udogie and keep to our normal tactics....

Sadly I'm not expecting any surprises from Ange. I can see Davies on the left & Emerson on the right (if Porro is out). I can see gaping holes in midfield & I can see me not wanting to bump into any arse mates.

At least if Davies plays we will have three defenders, which we will need, with some support for Van Der Ven in our final third.

If you remember Davies recent interview, it won't be like that at all. Ange just lets these goes go where they want. The only way it could work is if Ben ignores his manager and stays focused on defending. I hope he does. If he adopts Ange's game plan for a full-back he will never have the recovery game. It will be back to where we were with Jose when Aurier and Davies were told to stay high and wide and then one cross-field switch left them way ahead of play when the ball hit the net.

There does come a time when you need to play to a players strengths. We all know Ben will be at his best when played as an orthodox LB, tucking in with his centre halves at times.

If you remember Davies recent interview, it won't be like that at all. Ange just lets these goes go where they want. The only way it could work is if Ben ignores his manager and stays focused on defending. I hope he does. If he adopts Ange's game plan for a full-back he will never have the recovery game. It will be back to where we were with Jose when Aurier and Davies were told to stay high and wide and then one cross-field switch left them way ahead of play when the ball hit the net.

There does come a time when you need to play to a players strengths. We all know Ben will be at his best when played as an orthodox LB, tucking in with his centre halves at times.

Yep we have been saying it for weeks now....

Davies is the perfect player to adjust tactics with when you need to be more defensive or conservative...but we don't do those intelligent tactical changes in games....so sure sure...

Here's my thoughts.
Jose would set us up to ruin their day.
And ruin their day.
Conte would set us up to make himself look good.
And might ruin their day.
Ange will set us up as part of his project.
And they'll win.

Realised that this needs to be in the other thread.
But Ange will come out with the same flannel that he does after every defeat.
It's his little project.

Last edited:
Here's my thoughts.
Jose would set us up to ruin their day.
And ruin their day.
Conte would set us up to make himself look good.
And might ruin their day.
Ange will set us up as part of his project.
And they'll win.

Realised that this needs to be in the other thread.
But Ange will come out with the same flannel that he does after every defeat.
It's his little project.

Jose

Venom
Emerson, Romero, VDV, Davies
Sarr, Bissouma, Bentancur
Maddison
Richi, Son

Antonio

Venom
Dragusin, Romero, VDV
Porro, Biss, Bents, Davies
Madds, Richi, Son

Ange

Venom
Romero, VDV

Biss

Porro, Bents, Davies
Madds
Johnson, Son, Werner

:hmmm::help::wack:

:hang:

Arsenal are seriously good. I can only see one result for several reasons.
They will overpower us physically in midfield, in fairness to us this is partly due to the lack of sharpness of Maddison, Bentancour and Sarr but partly due to their technical and tactical superiority. White and Saka will destroy us down our left side - Ange will no doubt change nothing to stop this other than relying on Van de Vens pace, hardly a sophisticated game plan. That are too strong defensively for us and as soon as we turn over the ball which will be frequently we will he hopelessly exposed.
This game could get seriously brutal for us. I am expecting boos at half time and a near empty stadium by full time.
This will be the beginning of the end for Ange who is starting to show that he is out of his depth at this level. His unwillingness or inability to make adjustments will be his downfall - either at the end of this season or more likely a third of the way into next season.

Nothing yet this season has hinted at a possible shift in tactics from Ange.

With that in mind, I think we are more likely to see Royal come in at LB as he seems to be Ange’s 1st choice FB replacement.

Dragusin played most of his football on the left of a back 3 last season. Although he did play a fair number of games in the centre and on the right of the back 3 aswell.

Personally, I’d like to see VdV play LB. Not inverted but tucked in to counter the threat of Saka and to give us 3 defenders instead of our traditional 2 when defending the counter attack.

Vicario
Porro Romero Dragusin VdV
Bentancur Hojbjerg
Johnson Maddison Son
Richarlison

Austin, Davies, Royal, Bissouma, Sarr, Lo Celso, Kulusevski, Werner, Moore

Maybe young Mikey Moore will take Gil’s place in the bench. It’s not as if Gil will get any game time anyways so we might aswell give Mikey his 1st experience in a match day squad.

After watching Arsenal kick the ever loving shit out of a Chelsea....yeah this could get very ugly.