Ups and Downs | Page 4 | Vital Football

Ups and Downs

Currently a Yorkshire clean sweep in the offing for Championship relegation.

Definitely getting Rovrum, definitely want scummy Huddersfield, don't mind Wednesday again but Birmingham would be something neo.

I have absolutely no idea how good Stockport are; the age of their players and the investment the shareholders will put in but I don’t think the stags are that good. Very inconsistent they have a lot of older players or players that are not league one standard (they have two ex imps). I think they will struggle in league one

Wrexham I think they will be mid table next year as they will no doubt chuck money at it but will their manager live up to the expectations and will the new players bed in quick enougn? Also when competing against the genuine big teams they are still small. If the money being offered is the same the player will join the big club and not the Hollywood pretenders. Also North Wales is a strange place not everyone wants to live there - scousers perhaps

I actually like Wrexham (controversial I know) and will be interested to see how they get on next season. I suspect they'll be a mid-table side for the next few years - it's a much bigger step up from L2 to L1 than it is from NL to L2, even with lots of money to throw at it.

Stockport were beaten play-off finalists last season so they've been a League 1 team in waiting for a while. However I suspect they and Mansfield will be in the bottom third of the league next season.

I actually like Wrexham (controversial I know) and will be interested to see how they get on next season. I suspect they'll be a mid-table side for the next few years - it's a much bigger step up from L2 to L1 than it is from NL to L2, even with lots of money to throw at it.

Stockport were beaten play-off finalists last season so they've been a League 1 team in waiting for a while. However I suspect they and Mansfield will be in the bottom third of the league next season.
I imagine all 3 will have budgets at least equal to ours and possibly bigger. Wrexham no doubt much bigger.
No idea of the accuracy of various websites giving current wages, but most give all 3 as having had more this season in a league below us!

I imagine all 3 will have budgets at least equal to ours and possibly bigger. Wrexham no doubt much bigger.
No idea of the accuracy of various websites giving current wages, but most give all 3 as having had more this season in a league below us!
All three are well financed, Wrexham extremely so it seems. If Dons or Donny come up they will both be competitive too, you would think.

Expect the play off failures and those that come down to compete (perhaps bar Rotherham), and with Charlton due to come good and Reading and Wigan likely to throw money they dopn't have, and you have a more competitive League One next season.

I'm fine with the recent successes of both Wrexham and Stockport also. Yes they've been well backed financially but have a word with a Salford supporter (should you be able to find one) to see that it takes more than just money to make a successful team. Both of them and Mansfield, who you'd expect will join them automatically have invested in experience to get them out of that league. It's what we did in our Championship season of 18/19 and it'll be interesting to see how they re-shape their respective squads for next season.

League 1 will be very competitive next season without a doubt, but when you consider most of us thought that the current top 3 in our league now would be there when we did our where will they finish predictions pre-season I don't think there are those two or three teams way ahead of the others looking forward to the 24/25 season. If we are still in it, we'll be well amongst it and there will be a lot of good games to look forward to.

What's to like about Wrexham and Stockport apart from the fact that they are not Fleetwood or Forest Green?
Won't be liking them so much when they take points off us next season.

No comparison between Wrexham spend and Salford. Compare the squads. Though I'm not sure why the class of 92 haven't been pumping more in, as I'm sure they could match the Holywood matinee idols if they wanted to.

I remember people on here saying how well plucky Fleetwood were doing as they bought their way from the North West Counties league. We now know how that was done. Wrexham and Stockport might not be bent, but the effect is the same.

We are having to wring every last ounce out of our 'method' plus top ups to remain competitive at this level. League 1 is about to get a couple more clubs like Peterborough so things are going to get harder.

Football seems go have become like some sort of dating game where the fortunes of clubs are down to how successful they are in randomly attracting interest from suitors with the deepest pockets.

As somebody pointed out on another thread, Real Bedford are coming next.

Wrexham and Mansfield have amongst the oldest squads in the league (think Mansfield are actually the oldest and have fielded several 30+ year old average starting XI's, which is mental).

All three will spend well. Wrexham the obvious stand out but the other two will give it a go, too (not necessarily for promotion but they'll want to compete to mid-table).

EDIT - better for the away end numbers as well, all three sides have had their plastics join them, too. ;)

Wrexham and Mansfield have amongst the oldest squads in the league (think Mansfield are actually the oldest and have fielded several 30+ year old average starting XI's, which is mental).

All three will spend well. Wrexham the obvious stand out but the other two will give it a go, too (not necessarily for promotion but they'll want to compete to mid-table).

EDIT - better for the away end numbers as well, all three sides have had their plastics join them, too. ;)

Unless all three spent very well again (bringing in Championship players) then I think they may struggle.

We struggled with the step up after a similar glorious run through the NL and Lg2 so I would be surprised if more than one team makes the play offs.

Most of the players Wrexham and Stockport attracted whilst in the NL were League One players, Sarcevic, Madden etc for Stockport plus James Jones, Mullin etc for Wrexham. They're all a couple of years older now too.

Will need to be a huge turnover of players and some serious money for them to make an impact IMO.