Ups and Downs | Page 3 | Vital Football

Ups and Downs

Correct 21/09/2004 but we did return to St Andrews on 21/12/2019 when Coventry were lodging there.

They opened only 2 turnstiles for the league cup game and loads of us didn't get until 15 minutes into the match. Steward explained "we didn't think so many would turn up". I replied "I bet this wouldn't happen at Villa Park"
Lot's of people sitting on the steps because there weren't any seats. We put up a good show but were eventually well beaten. We were given a penno near the end that was a blatant dive by Simon Yeo but the game was well over by then. Perhaps this game was where the Dwight Yorke rumours started? I seem to remember he started that day?

They opened only 2 turnstiles for the league cup game and loads of us didn't get until 15 minutes into the match. Steward explained "we didn't think so many would turn up". I replied "I bet this wouldn't happen at Villa Park"
Lot's of people sitting on the steps because there weren't any seats. We put up a good show but were eventually well beaten. We were given a penno near the end that was a blatant dive by Simon Yeo but the game was well over by then. Perhaps this game was where the Dwight Yorke rumours started? I seem to remember he started that day?
One of only about 5 games I never managed to get a programme at because of the chaos. Missed first 5 mins as desperately needed to pee

Exactly as I remember it, down to talking to a steward who said to me and Sigiriya Junior he couldn't believe how many of us had turned up. I seem to remember the stewards having to take the covers off a load of seats to accomodate us all. A good night out, despite the eventual score. Amazing to think it was nearly 20 years ago!

I had absolutely no memory of him playing that game, but looking it up he certainly did. Emil Heskey also started, but likewise didn’t remember him either

An interesting night out except for the fact that they were totally caught out by our sheer numbers attending then the ridiculous search rules as you were going in (anyone else remember that massive list of things you couldn't take into the ground that they had displayed at the entrance?) We were relatively early so didn't have to queue too long to enter but many fellow supporters weren't as lucky and they were stuck for ages!

I was lucky for that game and managed to get in around fifteen minutes before KO.

They had a decent side out for that.

I seem to remember their mascot did a weird pre-match thing of running from one corner of the pitch to the other to a song?

Crikey was it really that long ago…. Seem to remember Robbie Savage (who we continually booed) did a nice gesture at the end by giving his shirt to a young Lincoln supporter. He went up in my estimation after that.
Great turnout from us on the night, certainly caught them by surprise.

I seem to remember their mascot did a weird pre-match thing of running from one corner of the pitch to the other to a song?

One of the odd things they used to do at St Andrew's to combat a supposed 100 year gypsy curse placed upon the ground in 1906.
Allegedly Barry Fry used to piddle in all the corners of the ground in order to combat it!!!!

One of the odd things they used to do at St Andrew's to combat a supposed 100 year gypsy curse placed upon the ground in 1906.
Allegedly Barry Fry used to piddle in all the corners of the ground in order to combat it!!!!
Fry does that anyway, he's 80.

I think Jules needs to move the last two post to its own New Thread 'Piddling around the Grounds with Barry Fry - things not to do on a football pitch'.

That’s was an entertaining match they played a strong team full of internationals. Remember having a great curry in digbeth after the match. I haven’t been round there for a while having lived there as a student. I think that whole area has undergone a transformation since.

In League 2 tonight, Stockport's win at Colchester all but puts them into League 1 next season. I think they just need one point to confirm it, but have a +42 goal difference whereas MK Dons in 4th have +16 and are the only team who can theoretically overtake them from outside the current top 3

Grimsby lose at Harrogate and stay in 21st on 43 points. However both Colchester and FGR lost so it's looking like they'll avoid heading back into the Conference more because of other teams inability to get points

FGR are bottom on 36 points with 3 games to play. Next up for them is the small matter of a trip to Wrexham on Saturday.

MK will need to win on Saturday against Mansfield to keep up, the latter's game in hand is Tuesday at home to Accrington.