The Official Harrogate Town Match Thread (Sponsored by For the Love of God, Win the Game Gills "for all your desperation needs") | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Official Harrogate Town Match Thread (Sponsored by For the Love of God, Win the Game Gills "for all your desperation needs")

'Clemence deserves a chance to get his own squad in'

Does anyone who has said this genuinely believe that with a summer window that Clemence can turn this around for next season?

Yes. Not saying itll turn out succesfully but we're setting a very dangerous precedent if we're appointing and then binning off a manager after 6 months without letting him assemble his own squad.

Will it work out? Who knows.

IMO our recruitment has to be players Clemence wants, not players picked by KJ, AH,JC, some algorithm or AI shit.

Let Clemence build a squad and then judge him on that. Will that happen, I have my doubts.

One thing is certain this squad (under 3 different managers) have turned in turgid performances in more than just footballing ability and quality far too often.

When BG appointed Clemence he said he wanted a "player first" approach. Maybe they need a kick up the fucking arse approach.

A lot of over-emotional finger pointing going on. Sack Clemence, sack Clemants, sack all the players, refund everybody’s ticket, let them all walk home, sack KJ, sack Hess, bring back Fisher, Scally out, worst performance in my 50 years supporting Gillingham etc.

Listen to yourselves.

We didn’t learn anything new from this one result. We’ve been poor all season.

Brad and Shannon are fortunate that they are still in the honeymoon period, otherwise fans would be calling for their heads too.

One of the obvious questions to ask tonight is if Mr Galinson should have kept his powder dry about Clemence's position until the end of the season.

Understand the reasons why he made the announcement, showing faith & confidence in his appointment.

But we're bound to ask whether this is misplaced.

'Clemence deserves a chance to get his own squad in'

Does anyone who has said this genuinely believe that with a summer window that Clemence can turn this around for next season?
It’s a good question, if we had used the January window better we’d have a better idea. All I can say is I’d be lying if I said yes, the only thing I’m convinced on right now is that we need wholesale changes in the summer.

One of the obvious questions to ask tonight is if Mr Galinson should have kept his powder dry about Clemence's position until the end of the season.

Understand the reasons why he made the announcement, showing faith & confidence in his appointment.

It will be an unpopular opinion but Brad and Shannon must take a portion of responsibility.

NH should have gone immediately after last season, or not at all. It was insane to sack him after a handful of games this season and created huge instability.

Second, they clearly had no back-up plan to replace NH. They said it would be disrespectful to have the replacement in the stands whilst NH was manager. Fuck that. This is football. It happens all the time. You can’t afford to throw away a few games because you want to be gentlemanly about a managerial appointment.

Third, there were clearly some silly shenanigans with Crawley over the managerial appointment which unsettled everyone. And we missed out on the first choice manager.

Agree wholeheartedly with your 3 statements.something not right big time at the club. Been saying for ages now.Think Brad mentioned we might need 4/5 new players.try 11 minimum. Nobody deserves a wage for that pole of utter crap 2nd half.
What the fuc***g hell did Clem say at half time.
I actually thought 1st was pretty decent. 2nd half would rate as worst in Gills history
Worst in gills history lol. I have seen as bad many times and worse as well.

He shouldn’t have sacked Harris in the first place. It might have been “less attractive” football, apparently, but we were grinding out results. Harris should have been given until the end of the season. Clemence was on a hiding to nothing. Turn a bang average side into one playing attractive football and winning, with no honeymoon period, and expectations high. The failure of this season can be traced back to that short-sighted decision.

He shouldn’t have sacked Harris in the first place. It might have been “less attractive” football, apparently, but we were grinding out results. Harris should have been given until the end of the season. Clemence was on a hiding to nothing. Turn a bang average side into one playing attractive football and winning, with no honeymoon period, and expectations high. The failure of this season can be traced back to that short-sighted decision.

We were grinding out some lucky results with NH but I’m convinced that the trajectory under Nh would have been much the same as with Clemance.

We weren't grinding out results under Harris. We won the first four games, with a bit of luck that he acknowledged was unlikely to last, then took seven points from the next seven. So, I don't believe this season has failed because we sacked him. Don't forget, even if he'd stayed on we would still have been looking for a new manager when Millwall came knocking.

The rest I agree with.

Today's result seems like the straw that broke the camel's back but was anyone really surprised? We've been consistently inconsistent and rarely better than average all season. Given that Harrogate are clearly capable on their day, was this really a worse result than losing at Grimsby or Tranmere or getting stuffed at Walsall, or drawing twice with the donkeys of FGR? All of which already showed us we weren't going to be serious promotion contenders.

IMO our recruitment has to be players Clemence wants, not players picked by KJ, AH,JC, some algorithm or AI shit.
Let Clemence build a squad and then judge him on that. Will that happen, I have my doubts.
One thing is certain this squad (under 3 different managers) have turned in turgid performances in more than just footballing ability and quality far too often.
When BG appointed Clemence he said he wanted a "player first" approach. Maybe they need a kick up the fucking arse approach.
BG also said he wanted to go in another direction, which seemed to be explained when it was stated that SC would be a head coach as opposed to a manager. If he chooses the players and "builds a squad" what - exactly - is the difference?

The recruitment team was in place when NH was still called the manager. The same team is still there where SC is called head coach so the structure hasn't changed.

Apart from a different job title. I really can not see how SC's duties differ from NH's.

Just a short post as I'm staying over in Harrogate and enroute to pub. We were easily on top in the first, the second half was an enigma, not helped by some really poor officiating. The thirty or so around me were all in agreement that two Gate goals were offside, one by a large margin. Was level with both eronious lino calls. Very poor. But there's no point blaming a duff line, more to it than that. Will post tomoz. BTW, there were a group of appx, 50-75 York City fans in with the Gills choir, very odd.

BG also said he wanted to go in another direction, which seemed to be explained when it was stated that SC would be a head coach as opposed to a manager. If he chooses the players and "builds a squad" what - exactly - is the difference?

The recruitment team was in place when NH was still called the manager. The same team is still there where SC is called head coach so the structure hasn't changed.

Apart from a different job title. I really can not see how SC's duties differ from NH's.

Not honestly sure tbh. What you've got to remember is BG is and has been taking advice from KJ on footballing matters since they came into the club.Has that worked out? Would you say the football side since BG came in and under KJ has been a success?

Maybe the problem is the advice BG has been getting.

IMO to expect any coach/manager (or whatever you want to call them) to work with players that someone else is choosing is madness. SC said at the fans forum he would have ultimate say on who came into the football club. That's how it should be IMO.

I suspect at halftime all that Clem said was “more of the same lads- we’re 1-0 up”.

The fact was that Harrogate upped their game and we couldn’t respond. Some shocking individual errors didn’t help. The triple substitution just made things worse - but I’m not sure what else Clem could do. Fed up that Jonny Williams can’t last 90 minutes - however even when JW is knackered, Clarke is no improvement.

Not sure Dieng needed to come off and I would have liked to see Hawkins and Andrews up
Front together for a while- they can’t both be double marked.

I’m pretty sure we have had worse halves than that, and there have been times where I’ve felt more frustrated with the players and management, but it’s hard not to be really fed up at this precise moment

It’s frustrating because the division is clearly full of not very good sides and if we had only been just a bit better we could have easily made the play offs. I think it’s naive of the management to be talking only about the goal scoring as a problem. On my shopping list are (a) strikers obviously. (b) at least 2 midfield terriers that will run and tackle all day (we’ve badly missed McDonald and someone like Byrne.) (c) an old style brick shithouse centre half (d) anyone with a bit of pace. We haven’t got anyone like the sub Harrogate were able to bring on.

It’s frustrating because the division is clearly full of not very good sides and if we had only been just a bit better we could have easily made the play offs. I think it’s naive of the management to be talking only about the goal scoring as a problem. On my shopping list are (a) strikers obviously. (b) at least 2 midfield terriers that will run and tackle all day (we’ve badly missed McDonald and someone like Byrne.) (c) an old style brick shithouse centre half (d) anyone with a bit of pace. We haven’t got anyone like the sub Harrogate were able to bring on.
I agree with the above and would add Danny Lloyd to those two.

Problem is that Macdonald is a bit player for Stevenage, Byrne has only played for League of Ireland clubs since he left and Danny Lloyd is at Southport now.

Their attitudes are spot on though. Finding that type of player is paramount and as vital as football skill IMHO.

I agree with the above and would add Danny Lloyd to those two.

Problem is that Macdonald is a bit player for Stevenage, Byrne has only played for League of Ireland clubs since he left and Danny Lloyd is at Southport now.

Their attitudes are spot on though. Finding that type of player is paramount and as vital as football skill IMHO.
The players I’ve loved the most over the years haven’t been the “best” but have had desire and character in spades eg Barry fuller.