24/25 Season Tickets | Page 8 | Vital Football

24/25 Season Tickets

But I’m thinking we moved them on (rather than Nads, Clarke or whoever), more because they were expensive and on big wages. Why not keep them here if we weren’t trying to free up budget space? They were better options than the forwards we kept.

Well yeah, ship out your failures and prioritise those that are providing least value for money.

Another important factor is how easy they are to offload - players with previous pedigree are often seen as the answer to the goalscoring conundrums faced by teams in January. Bonne and Nichols went to League One and League One-bound respectively while the only calls to the Ashley Nadesan and Jayden Clarke hotlines were from Kenny Jackett making sure the line was actually working.

Agree about being expensive failures. But I’m thinking we moved them on (rather than Nads, Clarke or whoever), more because they were expensive and on big wages. Why not keep them here if we weren’t trying to free up budget space? They were better options than the forwards we kept.

We could have loaned out 2 or 3 other “lesser” players to NL. But we shipped out 2 players that could score if given service. With Hutton providing a bit more and now Andrews looking pretty decent, I’m sure Bonne and/or Nichols would have got a few more goals. Again, we’ll never know.

Either way, it allows extra space in the playing budget for next season.
I think those two were moved on because other teams wanted them that could pay them similar / better wages than they were on here. Harris wanted Bonne at League 1 Cambridge, Mansfield wanted Nichols for their promotion push.
The strikers we’d want to move on would find it hard to get offers of similar or better money than they are on at Gills, hence would rather see out their contracts here.

prioritise those that are providing least value for money
Interesting that Malone’s name hasn’t come up in this respect.

Regardless of how much some people rate him, I’d imagine he’s on a fairly sizeable wage if SC is going to continue only using him as a late-game sub.

Would’ve thought he’d be an easier one to move on and free up a decent amount of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Regardless of how much some people rate him, I’d imagine he’s on a fairly sizeable wage if SC is going to continue only using him as a late-game sub.

Would’ve thought he’d be an easier one to move on and free up a decent amount of money that could be better spent elsewhere.
Much like with shipping out your two starting forwards in the Winter window (Hawkins was still barely coming back from injury IIRC) I feel something needs to be done at midfield.

Malone’s wages concern me for a sub but perhaps he offers more? I don’t know about him personally.

Yeah, agree with that. I was only talking about the strike force.

But, if SC/GFC wants to get in more of the right type of players by their metrics, then the older, higher earners are probably going to be let go or asked/persuaded to look elsewhere.

I think in that category we can put Malone, Mahoney, Shaun Williams, one or both of Lapslie and Jonny Williams, maybe even Hawk and Max. If Masterson’s contract is up, he may want to look at L1 options too. Think he’ll be very expensive to keep.

I’m not saying all will be gone, but wouldn’t be surprised if any of them were, despite them all being good players in their own right.

I think when Brad talked about only 3 or 4 players in, he was being a bit diplomatic and that only 3 or 4 are at end of contract and leaving. If he’d said 6 or 7, the public message to the whole squad would have been “you’re all possibles to be gone”. Not good with 6 games still to play.

I’m sure he’ll be able to find a decent offer from another club in the summer - whether that would exceed what he’s on at GFC and whether his contract will have expired by then I don’t know.

I can’t imagine there will have been much of a clamour in January for a highly-experienced but underperforming and expensive left back.

When you look at our squad it does seriously question our recruitment in the last two windows.

Normally you'd spend a bigger portion of your budget on the strikers and forward areas where we would appear to have spent ours on defenders.

Was signing Malone (when we already had Clark) worth the extra wages of Malone?

That says to me we didn't really have a thought out plan. As with our January recruitment. We had four months to plan and target players and we ended up signing two loan players "that became available late in the window" and Andrews who again judging by KJ comments wasn't a target for January.

Last edited:
Along with some of the rest of you i have my new shiny season ticket but also wondering what the hell i have done.
Yesterday’s capitulation is poorly timed after the deadline expired to renew.
All quiet on the owner front today as well.

Along with some of the rest of you i have my new shiny season ticket but also wondering what the hell i have done.
Yesterday’s capitulation is poorly timed after the deadline expired to renew.
All quiet on the owner front today as well.
Brad should at least say we can have most of our money back, and let us in for a couple of quid each game. That’s the quality of our team’s worth!

I took a look at available season tickets this morning, there’s now a load available in block 3,4 and 5. Them 3 blocks previously were pretty much all ST holders further back than row E. Despite going to between 15-20 home games a season I don’t have one as go in the Medway when I’m with my young kids and in the Rainham End when with my pals. When Brad said about “a record being broken “ he didn’t say THE record for renewals has been broken. Probably a clever play on words. It could be the 2022-2023 record was broken for example! Anyway, it’s all a bit doom and gloom after a 5-1 tonking. Hopefully a half decent finish coupled with the signing of at least a proven centre forward and a commanding centre midfielder in the summer will trigger more ST sales. Love the Galinson’s work and another season in league 2 is not the end of the world. UTG.

A short exchange of messages after our game yesterday finished with the following:

Neill Harvey: I'd settle for several seasons of Keith Peacock football and forget about promotion.

Me: 100%

Others may demand success and put up with bullyball one Nils but it's goals and football I miss most.

My own theory is that it’s to reduce the number of times we have to use the BMS (and the costs that go with that). Must be frustrating having to open it for an away following that is too big for two blocks of GR but still relatively small. Perhaps using three blocks provides a better balance.

If we didn’t have the option to host larger away followings in the BMS I wouldn’t expect the club to sell season tickets in the fourth from last block of Gordon Road.

I think the latest comments from the club back this up.

‘Managing director Joe Comper commented on current plans, saying: “In terms of stadium improvements there are one or two things we are looking at doing and seeing if it is financially viable but we don’t want to promise things that we can’t deliver.

“The (Town End) stand is a good example. It doesn’t make sense to do anything with it financially, we are not filling it every week. The bottom half is perfectly fine and Charlton were the only team who have come here, in the FA Cup, and could have sold more tickets.

“One game a season isn’t worth the cost to do anything with that stand. Do we like looking at it? Not particularly, but at this moment in time does it make sense to do anything with it? No. It is that kind of thinking we go through all of the time.’

I think the latest comments from the club back this up.

‘Managing director Joe Comper commented on current plans, saying: “In terms of stadium improvements there are one or two things we are looking at doing and seeing if it is financially viable but we don’t want to promise things that we can’t deliver.

“The (Town End) stand is a good example. It doesn’t make sense to do anything with it financially, we are not filling it every week. The bottom half is perfectly fine and Charlton were the only team who have come here, in the FA Cup, and could have sold more tickets.

“One game a season isn’t worth the cost to do anything with that stand. Do we like looking at it? Not particularly, but at this moment in time does it make sense to do anything with it? No. It is that kind of thinking we go through all of the time.’
That's a good summary and a decent bit of expectation management. I've never felt there was much of a business case for doing anything with the Town End at the moment either and I'd rather they just shut the idea down now rather than humour fans who keep bringing it up.

The idea is often floated that you could have lower priced standing there and it would sell well, which might be the case but I suspect would be more likely people relocating from other (more expensive) areas of the ground rather than attracting significant additional numbers - so increasing stadium costs and reducing/having a negligible effect on ticket revenue.

With no immediate plans to sort out the BMS, then why not close it all together, use three blocks of the GRS for away fans and cover the BMS with advertising. We haven't got to look at how crap it is then and the club make some additional sponsorship sales. Win win

With no immediate plans to sort out the BMS, then why not close it all together, use three blocks of the GRS for away fans and cover the BMS with advertising. We haven't got to look at how crap it is then and the club make some additional sponsorship sales. Win win
I think it will be closed other than the odd game like Charlton in the fa cup this season when away ticket demand meant the lower tier was filled up.

Friend went to the ticket office this morning and switched our seats with no fuss.

I had an absolute nightmare yesterday - found two desirable seats together and blocked these out online - dialled the phone line constantly from 9am, kept getting to the front of the queue and then cut off - this happened fifteen times before I managed to speak to Ben who sorted it out for me. 2hrs and 8 minutes of my life wasted! Shambolic and made the players’ performance on Monday seem half decent.

I had an absolute nightmare yesterday - found two desirable seats together and blocked these out online - dialled the phone line constantly from 9am, kept getting to the front of the queue and then cut off - this happened fifteen times before I managed to speak to Ben who sorted it out for me. 2hrs and 8 minutes of my life wasted! Shambolic and made the players’ performance on Monday seem half decent.
I’m obviously going senile. You blocked the seats out online but didn’t pay for them online ? What am I missing ?

I’m obviously going senile. You blocked the seats out online but didn’t pay for them online ? What am I missing ?

You senile old goat 😀

I’d bought a seat from those that were available before the renewal deadline a couple of weeks ago.

What I wanted to do was change my seat and a friend’s (yes, really!) to two adjacent seats (that were suddenly available with the renewal deadline having expired) so that he could benefit from my expert in-game analysis.

I found two decent seats and kept blocking them out for 29 minutes at a time so that nobody else could buy them before I got to speak to a human.