Summer Transfer Rumours | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Must be a nighttime for the board and Jez George. What division will be in. What players should we be looking at?

I remember at a fans forum jez talking about the year we got to the play off final and having two lists so to speak, talking to players etc things getting done early the week after and as soon as we lost they didn’t want to know.

I also remember a comment about reaching the play-off final causing problems with recruitment - we were late to the game to sign players for L1 and never caught up. Coupled with MA's illness, a poor season was almost inevitable.

Sounds like Gabriel would come having had two serious knee injuries under his belt.
For that reason a little bit sceptical about this; at least until we see what is happening with Lasse, also Jay Benn for that matter.

Hopefully they've learnt from that experience, though it won't be easy.

One of the leading player of the season candidates was signed in that summer window.

There was an interesting podcast from NTT20 last week about potential overseas markets. In conjunction with Jez’s comments about new markets it’s worth a listen. Talks about legals, how different leagues rank v UK leagues + possible value for money due to wage differential v higher EFL wages. Lincoln got a shout out for Ireland but focus was generally further afield and not just Europe.

Exactly the point I’ve been making for so long, and why I hate the POs, which put the PO Final losers in a terrible position for the following season. It’s a real dilemma as you want to go up but if you lose the final you face nothing but disadvantages in so many ways compared to the competitors.

At least the Play off final this season is a week earlier than normal and the season kicks off a little later as well. I assume that is partly due to the Euro's in the summer so perhaps it's not quite as much a handicap as it has been in the past. I have faith that our recruitment is well ahead of the curve in any case.

Not to get ahead of ourselves but IF that should happen at least this time half our starting team won’t be going back to their parent clubs or leaving on a free. Hopefully less of a job to be done in the first place this summer.

As much as I'm not a fan of the playoffs for this reason, we managed ok under the Cowleys in 18/19 having made the playoffs the year befor.
Spot on, if you want an excuse for failure you can always find one. If not winning the play offs means you have a bad following season it’s down to mismanagement, bad organisation and poor preparation.

Anyone seen this? Interesting prices for our strikershttps://www.transfermarkt.com/lincoln-city/kader/verein/1198/saison_id/2023/plus/1

As much as I'm not a fan of the playoffs for this reason, we managed ok under the Cowleys in 18/19 having made the playoffs the year befor.
Very different circumstances. At the end of 2017-18 season, the loanees returning to their parent clubs were:
Ryan Allsop: 16 starts
Scott Wharton: 13 starts + 1 sub, 2 goals
Danny Rowe: 9 starts + 3 subs, 1 goal
Jordan Williams: 6 starts + 5 subs, 0 goals

Bugger all to replace there. We already had a reasonable squad for the following season.

Contrast with 2020-21:
Alex Palmer: 46 starts
TJ Eyoma: 34 starts + 5 subs, 1 goal
Brennan Johnson: 38 starts + 2 subs, 10 goals
Morgan Rogers: 23 starts + 2 subs, 6 goals
Callum Morton: 11 starts + 6 subs, 1 goal

Difficult to replace four of those, although TJ was signed permanently; also consider the number of assists from Johnson & Rogers.

Also, we were knocked out of the play-offs two weeks earlier in 2018 than in 2021.

This is why the club now recognises the importance of not depending on loans.

Very different circumstances. At the end of 2017-18 season, the loanees returning to their parent clubs were:
Ryan Allsop: 16 starts
Scott Wharton: 13 starts + 1 sub, 2 goals
Danny Rowe: 9 starts + 3 subs, 1 goal
Jordan Williams: 6 starts + 5 subs, 0 goals

Bugger all to replace there. We already had a reasonable squad for the following season.

Contrast with 2020-21:
Alex Palmer: 46 starts
TJ Eyoma: 34 starts + 5 subs, 1 goal
Brennan Johnson: 38 starts + 2 subs, 10 goals
Morgan Rogers: 23 starts + 2 subs, 6 goals
Callum Morton: 11 starts + 6 subs, 1 goal

Difficult to replace four of those, although TJ was signed permanently; also consider the number of assists from Johnson & Rogers.

Also, we were knocked out of the play-offs two weeks earlier in 2018 than in 2021.

This is why the club now recognises the importance of not depending on loans.
not much different to right now.
mitchell
taylor
mcgrandles
burroughs
...all in positions that will need replacements, regardless of the number of games played.

hopefully the club take a flexible view - season by season - on the importance of the loan system. for instance, a small club (budget-wise) like ours promoted into the championship might want to make the most use of the loan system at least for the first season...

mitchell
taylor
mcgrandles
burroughs
...all in positions that will need replacements, regardless of the number of games played.

hopefully the club take a flexible view - season by season - on the importance of the loan system. for instance, a small club (budget-wise) like ours promoted into the championship might want to make the most use of the loan system at least for the first season...

I’d be happy at all 4 of them returning in some capacity next season regardless of what league we are in.

mitchell
taylor
mcgrandles
burroughs

Burroughs hasn't been anywhere near the pitch since the end of last year and McGrandles played five games. Rumours abound that we are already talking to Mitchell. Taylor will be a loss but may well be back if we are in the Championship.

Burroughs hasn't been anywhere near the pitch since the end of last year and McGrandles played five games. Rumours abound that we are already talking to Mitchell. Taylor will be a loss but may well be back if we are in the Championship.
"...all in positions that will need replacements, regardless of the number of games played."

The more interesting debate for me is what the plan is… the message from the top is that we are aiming for the championship at some point, regardless of which season. At that point, recruiting championship players, and increasing existing squad players’ salaries/bonuses to championship level is going to cost mega£££ in our terms. our use of the loan system would be one easy + cost-efficient way to add extra championship sparkle we couldn’t otherwise afford. Imo this would be the right time to make more use of loans rather than less.

Worth having that plan in place, just in case. Why make competing at a more difficult level even more difficult?