Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 162 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

I vagually rremember that having won the euro Cup we played Barcelona in some final and won 3-0.

That was the European Super cup. Back then a 2 legged affair. We lost in Barcelona but thumped them at Villa Park. The away leg is, according to legend anyway, when Maradona sent his agent into the Villa changing room to get Gary Shaws shirt.

This is a great article about it from a few years ago. Featuring Ken Mcnaught shadow boxing, the Barca keeper booting Gordon Cowans up the arse and Barcelona being so dirty UEFA threatened to kick them out of European competition entirely.

Very sad. It's a horrible disease.

What a player though. Pure class.
Remember this skinny little kid appearing for the Villa at Old Trafford, League Cup Final 2nd replay v Everton. "Sid" was a human dynamo. As he matured, he oozed class and gained his rewards with more medals. Not too bad a collection, league Champions, European Cup Final victories v Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

5 years today since the Rotherham game where we came from 1-0 down with 10 men to win 2-1.

Possibly one of my favourite away days in recent (ish ) times.

You look at Ian Olney and he's the double of Zaniolo minus the hair highlights
Now works as a licensed advisor and agent to the PFA.

i remember the league cup semi final every day, my eldest daughter was born the next day on christmas eve we broke up for holidays at tucker eyelets, had a few beers and went to the match, of cause, the mrs woke up at 2 am, and we called the ambulance and went over every bump on the way to dudley rd hospital,,, seanie

I was born at Dudley Rd hospital as well!View attachment 72574

Now works as a licensed advisor and agent to the PFA.
Thought Olney was a bit underrated, leading the line for us well in our title challenge. Always wonder if things would have turned out different if Taylor had stuck with Olney instead of bringing useless lump Cascarino in.