The Nicolò Zaniolo Thread | Page 53 | Vital Football

The Nicolò Zaniolo Thread

Nice bloke, what he has been lacking in Premiership quality he has sadly been making up for in unwarranted aggression when things were not working out.
Stupid bookings after being on the pitch for 2 minutes have shown a lack of nouse on his part. All supporters love a player who gets "stuck in" but in reality if you do this after 2 minutes with 30 minutes of the match remaining it kind of leaves you with no where to go..... you cant be aggressive again or you are getting a red card.....

Just not worked out, I wish him well and won't cry when he leaves.
Can we please get Philogene Bidace back please.

He's not worked out for us, perhaps the speed of the PL doesn't suit him. He has his qualities and has scored a couple of important goals for us. An experiment that didn't work out and goes to prove that not even the Sultan is 100% when it comes to transfers.

Wish him no ill-will, hope he doesn't come back to haunt us in future European games.

Still surprised at the lack of discontent about one of our on loan players telling the fans to be quiet.
Lol, I read a comment somewhere that maybe he thought it was Spam fans he was doing that to as we wear the same colours, and we should give him the benefit of the doubt :rofl:

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but I think the celebrations might have given it away.

Don't really blame him for that interview, which may be mistranslated anyway, he's every right to feel frustrated about how his time here has gone. There is a player in there, Spalletti is no mug like Southgate, he wouldn't be selecting him if he didn't have the talent, but he's not had a good season with us. I've no idea why he has to pick up silly yellows all the time either, he needs to work on his temperament.

I'd start him against Wolves along with Diaby, I didn't watch but it seems like they both helped us to get a point, took his goal very nicely. Can't be playing the likes of Rogers and Duran who clearly aren't ready to start games for us. Although will come down to whether Ramsey is fit I guess.

still not over the absolutely harrowing scenes of him 'shushing' tbh
#staystrong

loanee - will end up going back more than likely
meh
Not as harrowing as watching most of his displays. Just a bit disrespectful to the fans in general. But also those fans who despite bringing bad press to the club with the gambling stories and his piss poor displays have stuck by him.

As you say. Won't be our problem soon thankfully.

He also said that Unai is as good as Pep and Klopp, and that though he expected to play more here, he is honest enough to say that Emery is world class.

He said nothing wrong as far as I can tell. People are just reading headlines and dodgy translations without context, just like with Bailey the other day. Not to mention the big fallouts between Emery and Martinez, later Tielemans. People just love drama

Last edited:
He also said that Unai is as good as Pep and Klopp, and that though he expected to play more here, he is honest enough to say that Emery is world class.

He said nothing wrong as far as I can tell. People are just reading headlines and dodgy translations without context, just like with Bailey the other day. Not to mention the big fallouts between Emery and Martinez, later Tielemans. People just love drama
What he said still don't make him the player we hoped for. Premier league is tough, some make it, some don't.

Garry Thompson reckoned on radio WM phone in that there’s a player there and Villa should take a punt on him.

Don’t shoot the messenger :shrug:

People are just predictable and just react how they want to based on their opinions of the player, it's nothing new.

Tielemans makes questionable comments on international duty earlier in the season.... "move along, nothing to see here, quotes misconstrued"

Duran has a hissy fit and deletes his Villa related social media.... "move along, nothing to see here, Unai rates him as proved by the 17 minutes pitch time he's given him in the last 2 months"

Zaniolo says he misses his home country of Italy and wouldn't be against a move back while speaking to Italian journalists... "hang the coont!"

I've got him down as a complicated Cantona type character (not as good a footballer obviously) but whereas Fergie let Cantona pretty much do as he wanted if it made him perform , Zaniolo can't be afforded that luxury because he isn't at that level.

His antics at half time at West Ham were quite funny really. Came out 10 mins after the other subs with a coffee in his hand , flexed his kness a couple of times , and went back inside.

I really like him, and I think there is a great player in there. Reminds me a bit of Collymore: tall, strong, fast, good in the air, good feet but those most important factors 'consistency' and 'attitude' are questionable.
I think (maybe wishful) that the gambling accusations rocked him. I think if I was his age, temporarily and recently living in a foreign country, I'd probably lose my focus at work under those circumstances.
I'd be happy for Villa to take a punt on him if it suited all parties. But then with a fit Emi Buendia: do we even need anyone in this position?
Another season loan would be ideal.