Points prediction for top 7? Ever the optimist | Page 4 | Vital Football

Points prediction for top 7? Ever the optimist

For those interested, here’s the final games for the clubs looking at 7th spot. Actually, doesn’t make good reading to me 🙁

All bar AFCW have more games than us. And no one’s run home looks much more difficult than ours. Crawley need to really implode not to stay 7th imho.

2029DD01-4F71-414C-8331-DA1AF22F460F.jpeg

For those interested, here’s the final games for the clubs looking at 7th spot. Actually, doesn’t make good reading to me 🙁

All bar AFCW have more games than us. And no one’s run home looks much more difficult than ours. Crawley need to really implode not to stay 7th imho.

View attachment 72326
We can discount Crewe and Barrow and assume they’ll finish higher than 7th based on their current points.

AFCW have the same number of games as us but 1 point less. Newport are 4 points behind us and Crawley but only with 1 more game, can probably discount them too.

So that probably leaves us, Crawley and Walsall to fight it out for 7th, and they both have two more games than us. Not great I know, but there aren’t seven teams competing for one place.

Every game now is a cup final for us though, that’s for sure.

Crawley need to really implode not to stay 7th imho.

Their last 4 games looks like the easiest run-in on paper. Their next 4 games look by far the toughest of any of the teams competing for the playoffs, though. Doncaster are up there with Crawley as the form sides in the division over the last 6 games (both have W4 D1 L1), then they go to Newport, Mansfield and Wrexham.

Their last 4 games looks like the easiest run-in on paper. Their next 4 games look by far the toughest of any of the teams competing for the playoffs, though. Doncaster are up there with Crawley as the form sides in the division over the last 6 games (both have W4 D1 L1), then they go to Newport, Mansfield and Wrexham.
Last 4 games on paper may look easy but since the Cowley's have come in Colchester have only lost 2 games in 11 (drawing 8!).

Barrow is tough obviously.

Sutton have won 3, drawn 2 and lost 2 of their last 7 which is play off form. Also since Steve Morison was brought in for them they haven't lost by more than a single goal.

And Grimsby's loss to Wrexham ended a 6 game unbeaten streak also.

Still all to play for

We can discount Crewe and Barrow and assume they’ll finish higher than 7th based on their current points.
If we beat barrow and crawley beat barrow then wouldnt that pull them back into race for 7th ?

Lots of twists and turns to come yet.

Real question is can we find a run of wins.

If we beat barrow and crawley beat barrow then wouldnt that pull them back into race for 7th ?

Well yeah, but then it opens the race for 6th

It's a long shot for me at this stage given who we have left to play, but fingers crossed. If we get in, we'll have earned it!

That egg we laid at Barrow a few weeks ago looks extremely costly to me.

If we do grab that 7th place it means that we will have had a great run of results.

Taking that sort of form into the play-off games would give us a great chance of actually getting promoted.

The 2 games over Easter are key. 4 points+ and it's 'game on'. 2 points or less and it's 'game over'.

Would prefer us beat Barrow and Barrow beat Crawley. 6th or 7th doesn’t really matter much. And we’ve more chance of overtaking Crawley than Barrow. Although that could change over the next week or 2.

Predicting everyone`s highly pressurised run-in on the basis of recent form is a tall order. As we`ve seen, there`s a fair amount of parity spread across the division.

Right now, like several others, we are in with a chance. But, rather than "form", the key to winning enough games in the run-in may well be mental resilience. The teams with the most effective motivators, among management and playing staff, will raise their game to the kind of tenacious level required to concentrate solely on winning and fight hard for 90+ minutes in the remaining games.

Hopefully, that`ll be us.

My first run of guessing results puts 3 teams on 71 points, at 7th 8th and 9th.
Crawley & Walsall - on GD, too close to call - then Gills...
(...unless we suddenly get three 5-0 wins !)

There are too many "what if" games to list them all.
But other than Gills' games, Crawley v Barrow and Wimbledon v Walsall stand out.

We have to forget about the other contenders. It's what we do that counts. 74 points has to be the target. That's 5 wins out of 7.

Our form over the season would suggest we're incapable of stringing together such a run - I still fear the recent home draws will cost us in the end - but hope springs eternal. Now it's down to the players to show they HAVE got the desire, ability and nous to deliver. All we can do is give them our full backing. As exiles, our tickets for Harrogate and Bradford are already bought...

Our form over the season would suggest we're incapable of stringing together such a run

TBF, we won 5 of our first 7 league games (6 of first 8 actually). And we also won 4 drew 2 from 7 in Jan. Suggests we ‘can’ do it, even if unlikely.

Winning 5 of our first 7 then 5 of our last 7 has a good ring to it. Would certainly round off the season nicely 👍

Not if those two losses are play off semi finals!

Yeah, I should have qualified the comment as 5 of the last 7 league games. To get us into the play offs.

If we get there, I think we’d have done very, very well. But, despite our good finals record over the years, I’m not sure we are good enough to beat the other contenders over 2 games. Be nice to have the opportunity.