FFP charges? | Page 100 | Vital Football

FFP charges?

Having whizzed through most of the report & as a layman some of it goes over my head. The overall impression I am left with is that neither the club nor the PL come out of it very well, there were disagreements over Covid allowances that the PL didn't accept but didn't tell us in good time, it also seems that we claimed over £20m we claimed in promotion expenses wasn't viewed very favourably.

As I Said I'm just an old codger who can't pretend to understand the finer points of the report but my overriding impression is that all that stuff from the club about keeping the powers that be informed all though the process and being encouraged to believe what we were doing was OK was a bit of a fantasy.

I think at 4 points it's probably reasonable, if we can't pick up the required points over the next 9 games then we deserve to go down

Ultimately, it is clear from that that the club fucked up.

I was saying it in January and I was saying it in the summer: I love us signing all these players, it's great fun- but I want to know that we can afford it and are not at risk of breaching FFP. I wasn't the only one saying that either.

We've made about £80m of sales then, all in the 23/24 accounts so we should be fine going forward into the championship, and no doubt there will be a few sales along the way. Even as a championship club we should get £40m for Murillo.

I'm angry at the league, because these rules are bullshit and fundamentally unfair. Unless you come up with an absolutely banging squad to start with, you are fucked. And as soon as Chelsea are set to breach, they chance the rules to save them.

But I'm angry at the club as well for running a premier league club with about as much care as Fawaz did.

On the other hand, their strategy in dealing with the charge turns out to have been the correct one; meekly cooperating has shaves a couple of points off.

I don't give a fuck about Man City but I'll be totally pissed off if Leicester get away with it for a fourth time

Absolutely bang to rights. If anything, reading all of this makes the four points feel quite lenient imo.

Are the rules unfair? Yes. Are they prejudiced against newly promoted clubs? Yes. Are they creating a completely uneven playing field? Yes.

But we knew those rules, we broke them by a country mile, we ignored the warnings, and then we tried to be cute about it. What's more, we continued wheeling out comms to deceive supporters along the way. This is a humbling day for those in charge, and it paints a very unflattering picture of the administration of the club.

If we stay up, we've got away with it. I hope lessons are learned, but I'm not sure they will be. Our card's been marked now.
Yep. That's how I saw it back In Jan. Don't like the rules? Lobby to change them.

The report is pretty damning - we were basically aware of the threat of a breach or an actual breach but continued to spend and not sell assets for some reason. Breach is approx. £34.5m. Everton's £19.5.

This notion of an email thread with the PL that would save us is basically untrue.

Poor/incompetent management and could cost us dear and have let us all down badly.

I was saying it in January and I was saying it in the summer: I love us signing all these players, it's great fun- but I want to know that we can afford it and are not at risk of breaching FFP. I wasn't the only one saying that either.

We've made about £80m of sales then, all in the 23/24 accounts so we should be fine going forward into the championship, and no doubt there will be a few sales along the way. Even as a championship club we should get £40m for Murillo.

I'm angry at the league, because these rules are bullshit and fundamentally unfair. Unless you come up with an absolutely banging squad to start with, you are fucked. And as soon as Chelsea are set to breach, they chance the rules to save them.

But I'm angry at the club as well for running a premier league club with about as much care as Fawaz did.

On the other hand, their strategy in dealing with the charge turns out to have been the correct one; meekly cooperating has shaves a couple of points off.

I don't give a fuck about Man City but I'll be totally pissed off if Leicester get away with it for a fourth time
Fookin hell Pope, we are just one point behind mighty Luton...and we have enough games left to recover that point...season starts now...

"Welcome to the club, Ross. In the summer you will have the first two weeks of the window to sell Johnson for more than £35m, but we want £50m.

Call round all the clubs with deep pockets. Off you go, lad, no time to waste"

We are only a point behind Luton and Everton are also waiting for their second outcome. Brentford will be breathing a sigh of relief but one round of results could change everything.

The report itself makes it clear that we ballsed up and did this largely to ourselves so I would be wary of appealing.

Now at least we can concentrate on surviving and next season we should be in a much stronger financial position. We need to learn from this.

Fookin hell Pope, we are just one point behind mighty Luton...and we have enough games left to recover that point...season starts now...
We need 15 points in 9 games to get to 36, which isn't necessarily enough

There is no chance of us getting anywhere near that.

We are barely managing a point a game.

That is if it's a level playing field, which it is not. Luton get the decisions from refs, we get fucked by them.

We are relying on Luton doing so poorly that we survive with a record low points total for the premier league

Sorry fella, but we ain't that lucky.

And our manager is passionless, uninspiring and not getting the best out of the players or getting the results. Will he be here to lead us back? I doubt it.

If we hadn’t have gambled in January and not brought in the likes of Felipe and Navas, the likelihood is we would have most probably gone down….

How do you think that position would look compared to how it looks now?

If it’s an A or B question, I would have gambled personally….

That is if it's a level playing field, which it is not. Luton get the decisions from refs, we get fucked by them.

We are relying on Luton doing so poorly that we survive with a record low points total for the premier league

And our manager is passionless, uninspiring and not getting the best out of the players or getting the results. Will he be here to lead us back? I doubt it.
I think 32 pts will do us…..so 4 wins

Everton, using the same formulae must be expecting another 6 points with nothing off for mitigation, maybe something extra for repeat offenders. The penalty for Chelsea and Man City will be well over the 9 for administration.

If we hadn’t have gambled in January and not brought in the likes of Felipe and Navas, the likelihood is we would have most probably gone down….

How do you think that position would look compared to how it looks now?

If it’s an A or B question, I would have gambled personally….
Not sure that January was actually decisive?

I should think the £19m for Chris Wood probably was a huge part of it, and he contributed nothing last season, loads this.

We could have done without Danilo I suppose. But it comes down also to players like Biancone and Richards, bought early in the summer before they really knew who was out there and with little thought

Everton, using the same formulae must be expecting another 6 points with nothing off for mitigation, maybe something extra for repeat offenders. The penalty for Chelsea and Man City will be well over the 9 for administration.
They'll get zero, and the commission will cite double jeopardy.

That's wrong, because we've been given 6-2 for one season so they should have another 6- for a second season

Read the report in detail. All said above by other people.

Because we were honest we didn’t get a six point deduction. Other than that none of mitigation was taken into consideration. Playing Brennan and not accepted athletico madrids 42.5m offer was foolish even if spurs then countered we shouldn’t have got greedy and asked for £55m and more bonuses.

It couldn’t be considered missed as the comms to sell wasn’t early enough and then we forecast finishing in 12th which was an extra £12.5m

We need to appeal if nothing to lose and then let players work it out on the pitch.

This is it. It was very exciting when it was happening. You just assumed there was some sort of ingenious financial planning and deferment plan going on at the same time, because otherwise... it would have been exactly as mental as it looked.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's to ignore this idea that "x is a billionaire, there's no way he / she would accept that kind of incompetence, these people work on another level." For some reason, when it comes to football, club owners really are THAT stupid.

PL and their closed shop aside, I'm kind of quietly stunned by what I've been reading this arvo. Hopeless.

You don't think we can get one more point than Luton?

On current form we stay up.

Athletico had a bid for Johnson of 50m Euro's rejected at the end of June 2023 with us countering with 65m Euro's. Apparently dependent on them selling a player but if confirmed in writing may have constituted a "near miss" which may have saved us.

Our handing of the Johnson transfer didn't qualify as a near miss.

We also estimated we would finish 12th and receive more prize money. No wonder there was so much (unrealistic) pressure on Cooper.