👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread | Page 44 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼 Ange Postecoglou - Manager Thread

I still want to see Ange show tactical nous. It's one thing being focused and knowing what he wants us to do etc. But as it stands the opposition know what we are going to do as well. Take our game v Villa tomorrow. I would imagine Villa have trained to play against us given The way we always play/set up. If for example we brought the Dragon in as a CB and moved Romero in front of the back 4 ....if only for the first half, it might disrupt all of Villas plans.
We expect villa to go at us....maybe they will sit back and catch us on the break, if they do then I don't have any confidence that Ange will unfold his arms and rearrange our formation. I'd love him to surprise the opposition, and me, by being more tactically astute.

I still want to see Ange show tactical nous. It's one thing being focused and knowing what he wants us to do etc. But as it stands the opposition know what we are going to do as well. Take our game v Villa tomorrow. I would imagine Villa have trained to play against us given The way we always play/set up. If for example we brought the Dragon in as a CB and moved Romero in front of the back 4 ....if only for the first half, it might disrupt all of Villas plans.
We expect villa to go at us....maybe they will sit back and catch us on the break, if they do then I don't have any confidence that Ange will unfold his arms and rearrange our formation. I'd love him to surprise the opposition, and me, by being more tactically astute.
Clearly Dragusin isn't good enough yet!

Well said TS but don't 'old ya breff - he won't and he aint (re; last line)!

Clearly Dragusin isn't good enough yet!
Perhaps not, but bringing him in was just an example. My main point is I hope/want to see Ange change a formation If he thinks it might benefit us by catching the opposition unaware. IMO if he thinks never changing formation is the key to success, then any success will only be fleeting. He has said he wants us top of the league, good so do I. But I want him to be too of the tactical league to help us get to where hd/we want to be. Yes it is early days...But for me he hasn't shown tactical nous, no matter how much I like the guy.

It's great to hear and he carries all our hopes, but we have been left wanting before, so it can't all be jam tomorrow. Anything short of 5th place will feel like a missed opportunity.

Yep, with you here. Despite Ange being the new guy in charge, our work on this squad started under Fabio 2-3 years ago. In comparison to the other PL squads, ours is at least a 5th place squad. If we finish below that, it will be down to factors like tactics and of course the injuries and suspensions.

Perhaps not, but bringing him in was just an example. My main point is I hope/want to see Ange change a formation If he thinks it might benefit us by catching the opposition unaware. IMO if he thinks never changing formation is the key to success, then any success will only be fleeting. He has said he wants us top of the league, good so do I. But I want him to be too of the tactical league to help us get to where hd/we want to be. Yes it is early days...But for me he hasn't shown tactical nous, no matter how much I like the guy.
Da Zerbi and Brentford's manager are seen as the tactical saviours of football in recent history, but there they are scrapping it out for mid table. I think Ange deserves more credit and respect from Spurs fans personally, but we are notorious for being fickle and expecting the earth tomorrow.

No wonder they only last 5 minutes...

Da Zerbi and Brentford's manager are seen as the tactical saviours of football in recent history, but there they are scrapping it out for mid table. I think Ange deserves more credit and respect from Spurs fans personally, but we are notorious for being fickle and expecting the earth tomorrow.

that's fine you think that....I think what I think.

Over a 2 year period, De Zerbi has had to sell players and put something like £150m back into the Brighton coffers. Our managers have had it the other way round. I wonder whether De Zerbi would back himself with £300m to have 11 more points and be level with us. That's not to mention that our wage bill is probably 50% higher than theirs.

I can see why that guy gets some respect in the game. Ange definitely will if he keeps on helping our upward trajectory. If he fails though, De Zerbi would be on my list. I'm not a Thomas Frank fan. He doesn't play football the Ange or De Zerbi way in my opinion. We need that at Spurs.

Ange has had loads of credit and respect from his peers, pundits and fans within the league structures where he has been working. That has got him the opportunity to gain the same within the PL, but he has still to earn it. I don't think anyone is complaining about the start he has made generally but it doesn't absolve him from criticism on individual match days.

Ange gives the impression that he believes that in the short term, it is better to stick rigidly to the development plan even if means missing out on CL qualification. He even seemed to suggest that it could be detrimental. In the same breath though he insists that playing twice a week would show the year on year progress that he is tasked with. Whilst I agree that qualifying for the CL is not a magic bullet, we cannot miss this opportunity surely.

Ange gives the impression that he believes that in the short term, it is better to stick rigidly to the development plan even if means missing out on CL qualification. He even seemed to suggest that it could be detrimental. In the same breath though he insists that playing twice a week would show the year on year progress that he is tasked with. Whilst I agree that qualifying for the CL is not a magic bullet, we cannot miss this opportunity surely.

I think what he is saying is he is trying to instill a philosophy into the club, the team and the players. Whilst this is in its infancy he sees it as more important to stick with the way he wants the team and players to act than it is for us to look at results. I can understand this and it must be something the club has discussed with him and offered assurances. OK its easier to give those assurances off the back of us being one of the favourites to be relegated at the start of the season, but the club has shown they are trusting the process.

I think there has been a restructure of every facit of the club. Its social media showing players arriving, smiling and answering questions. The constant stadium videos after we have won of the sound system bouncing and the fans hanging around. The feel good factor is there and the more it increases the more the players will not be scared of taking risks and expressing themselves. I watched an interview with Klopp before the Man City game. They asked about coaching and tactics and he just responded with "i want my players to play without worry and without limits. To perform and enjoy themselves. As long as they do that i am confident they will give a good account of themselves". I also read the interview with Kulu about the chelski game. He said they took huge amounts of pride from the way the acted in the second half. They felt like warriors and they took it to chelski with 9 men and they had opportunities. There is nothing more dangerous than players who 100% believe they are unbeatable and 100% trust the coach. We are getting very close now. I can feel it.

Is top 5 important? Yes it is important but it is not the measure of success for this season imo.

I think what he is saying is he is trying to instill a philosophy into the club, the team and the players. Whilst this is in its infancy he sees it as more important to stick with the way he wants the team and players to act than it is for us to look at results. I can understand this and it must be something the club has discussed with him and offered assurances. OK its easier to give those assurances off the back of us being one of the favourites to be relegated at the start of the season, but the club has shown they are trusting the process.

I think there has been a restructure of every facit of the club. Its social media showing players arriving, smiling and answering questions. The constant stadium videos after we have won of the sound system bouncing and the fans hanging around. The feel good factor is there and the more it increases the more the players will not be scared of taking risks and expressing themselves. I watched an interview with Klopp before the Man City game. They asked about coaching and tactics and he just responded with "i want my players to play without worry and without limits. To perform and enjoy themselves. As long as they do that i am confident they will give a good account of themselves". I also read the interview with Kulu about the chelski game. He said they took huge amounts of pride from the way the acted in the second half. They felt like warriors and they took it to chelski with 9 men and they had opportunities. There is nothing more dangerous than players who 100% believe they are unbeatable and 100% trust the coach. We are getting very close now. I can feel it.

Is top 5 important? Yes it is important but it is not the measure of success for this season imo.
But....If we don't get top 5 now it will IMO negate anything we have achieved this season.
Fulham have a good home record and had beaten decent teams, other managers might have tweaked the formation to give us more control in midfield, but not our Ange. He will lose a lot of the positivity that surrounds him atm if we feck up the season now.

We've had far better managers than Ange who have been sacked.
He's been given the golden ticket by Daniel and the team below him.
It's on him now.
A happy dressing room doesn't necessarily make a winning dressing room.
He'll either sink or swim.

Listen I am not terribly concerned about top 4....I am concerned about how we win and lose. The loss today was a total capitulation from the beginning. No energy at all, not strategy, no clue from players or coaches. Just utterly horrible.

This is worrying to me...and needs to be changed or yeah AP isn't the guy.