Europa Conference League 2023/4 | Page 229 | Vital Football

Europa Conference League 2023/4

Let's be honest 4th side in the PL should be able to take out any teams in Europe by the high Spanish side and a couple of others like Bayern and the odd Italian side.
We just did Ajax at a canter, we've beaten a name but they have Chubba Akpom and over-the-hill Henderson on their side they are Championship level currently.
Every single PL game this season is harder than most European games.
We might win any European league bar the Spanish German and Italian ones with our current side and Unai.

There was always a 3rd tier European competition when I was growing up, the European Cup Winners Cup, so I don't think it's anything new having a lower quality European comp.

Who cares? It's European football and the chance of a trophy and plenty of decent teams in it.

Yeah, my only issue is they used to be knock out, now they are leagues, I get the CL, massive £££ But the others have replicated to make even more ££££ I just love the jeopardy of knock out cup games, no 2 leg crap (I used to HATE the away goal rule, that was gutting at times) (Same as league cup semi finals, 2 legs, ridiculous, but forget which season, but I did read that will be scrapped soon)

But as said, we are in it, I want to win it. Simples. Nice way to start getting a bit of momentum hopefully.

Yeah, my only issue is they used to be knock out, now they are leagues, I get the CL, massive £££ But the others have replicated to make even more ££££ I just love the jeopardy of knock out cup games, no 2 leg crap (I used to HATE the away goal rule, that was gutting at times) (Same as league cup semi finals, 2 legs, ridiculous, but forget which season, but I did read that will be scrapped soon)

But as said, we are in it, I want to win it. Simples. Nice way to start getting a bit of momentum hopefully.

Agreed r.e the leagues.
Crap.
Proof is Thursday. Different level atmosphere wise compared to the group games because of jeopardy. Sure the players know this aswell.

Agreed r.e the leagues.
Crap.
Proof is Thursday. Different level atmosphere wise compared to the group games because of jeopardy. Sure the players know this aswell.
Thinking about it that's what I dislike about it all is the money-grabbing leagues. A straight 2 leg knockout like the Ajax game the best team over 2 legs wins

I kind of agree about the league stage but I think all European comps have been 2 legged ties during knockout stages forever?

"Throughout its 39-year history, the Cup Winners' Cup was always a straight knock-out tournament with two-legged home and away ties until the single match final staged at a neutral venue"

I don't think the 2 legged ties have ever been about greed, more about fairness.

Unless you're playing in a nutrel venue like in a final then it's fair to play each other at home and away, otherwise you're literally just giving a club an advantage based on the luck of what order they were picked out of a hat.

I know that's how the FA cup works but that's slightly different as a lot of lower league clubs actually want to play away at a big club.

I just like watching football so the more matches the better from a viewers perspective.

I guess reducing it to single legged ties helps the players in terms of fatigue, but I'm not interested in that really considering the money they earn they should be made to play every day!

Also imagine qualifying for Europe in a 1 legged knockout and being drawn at home all the time... A European competition where you and your fans don't actually get to travel to Europe.

Sorry Fear. Your idea is insane. 😂

Thinking about it that's what I dislike about it all is the money-grabbing leagues. A straight 2 leg knockout like the Ajax game the best team over 2 legs wins

I moaned about the change in formats earlier in this thread but it's worth pointing out again that the original reason for changing the European cup to the league format was that the giants were fed up of not winning the tournament.

The catalyst was Real Madrid drawing the then champions of Italy early in the tournament in something like 4 out of 5 seasons. Money obviously played a huge part but they wanted also to remove as much jeopardy as possible. The final nail in the coffin was the decision to send the top 4 from England, Spain, Italy and Germany straight into the group stages instead of making the 3rd, 4th places qualify. Essentially making it a super league in all but name and the cartel are still unhappy.

I've enjoyed this competition and really want us to win but I think it's sad that football has stripped away the ability of clubs from outside 4/5 leagues to compete at the top so much. In 82 we nearly ended up playing CSKA Sofia in the final after Bayern beat them in the semi final. They'd defeated the champions of Spain (Real Sociedad) and the holders Liverpool on the way. Now they have to go through 3 or 4 qualifiers just to get near the group stages of the conference league.

Enjoyed the game on TV on Thursday. Loved the anticipation of the draw and who we might get and the possible route to the final. Have to say tho the actual draw event was excruciating, just get two ex footballers on and draw the balls. Was great seeing Villa having representation sat there waiting for the draw to report back. From where we have come from - mid table championship those few years back, it’s a fantastic achievement.

Agree re the league stuff. I've never watched any of it. So predictable, so boring. It's just uefa protecting their the revenue streams.

I moaned about the change in formats earlier in this thread but it's worth pointing out again that the original reason for changing the European cup to the league format was that the giants were fed up of not winning the tournament.

The catalyst was Real Madrid drawing the then champions of Italy early in the tournament in something like 4 out of 5 seasons. Money obviously played a huge part but they wanted also to remove as much jeopardy as possible. The final nail in the coffin was the decision to send the top 4 from England, Spain, Italy and Germany straight into the group stages instead of making the 3rd, 4th places qualify. Essentially making it a super league in all but name and the cartel are still unhappy.

I've enjoyed this competition and really want us to win but I think it's sad that football has stripped away the ability of clubs from outside 4/5 leagues to compete at the top so much. In 82 we nearly ended up playing CSKA Sofia in the final after Bayern beat them in the semi final. They'd defeated the champions of Spain (Real Sociedad) and the holders Liverpool on the way. Now they have to go through 3 or 4 qualifiers just to get near the group stages of the conference league.

If Real get knocked out by the oil cheats, expect more whining and talking about breakaway leagues.

Yes and no mate. City and Liverpool play the kids till the semi final.

One of them teams usually always gets that far though and goes onto win it.

The last time they didn't was 2012/13 when Swansea won it, they did have to beat Chelsea in the semis though! (we lost to Bradford City in the semis 🙈). It's very rare when it's not one of the usual suspects that win it.

We won't have to beat anyone better than us to win the Europa Conference League.

Last edited: