Cobblers Away Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

Cobblers Away Thread

Dembele often looks a frustrated figure; he gets kicked a lot which he must get tired of? Last night his set piece deliveries were bad, his through balls were mostly over hit and his general demeanour suggests all is not well. Whether that is how he is I don't know? He needs to realise he only has another 10-15 years as a footballer and like the rest of us needs to overcome the knocks and the lows and pull his socks up and get on with it. Some bloke once said about football "90% is about attitude."

Conversely I'm well impressed by the attitude of the 2 loanees brought in, Byers and Coulson, no they aren't perfect but they are giving it their all. The midfield has looked a lot less predictable, urgent and more attack minded. Now Norburn is hopefully out we might see someone come in who doesn't just jog round watching the ball go past him and hide each time the ball comes his way. I watch him regularly at games without the letterbox view you get on TV and so you get to see where he goes to and what he does off the ball. He literally hides! Whether that is because he had a bad injury and he is scared of getting injured again I don't know? Whether he signed a pay per play contract I don't know either. His defence is to stand in front of an opposition player like the childhood game 'Statues' his arms slightly apart and watching as the ball whizzes by him.

I know Sexxyboy may well say Virtue isn't the answer and I'm not going to argue with that. He is though much more preferable than Captain Chaos. We should have let Virtue go to Wrektum and not signed Norburn and with the combined money got someone in of the quality of Dougall.

The winner v the leaders too.
Apter presently on loan to Tranmere and appears to be doing well there. At the end of the season he will be brought back into the Pool ranks and hopefully will be considered as a 1st team player. I can recall that out of the 5 games he played for our 1st team he did impress as having qualitity. Actually reminded me of the young Alan Ainscow of the early 1970's.

Last edited:
Apter presently on loan to Tranmere and appears to be doing well there. At the end of the season he will be brought back into the Pool ranks and hopefully will be considered as a 1st team player. I can recall that out of the 5 games he played for our 1st team he did impress as having qualitity. Actually reminded me of the young Alan Ainscow of the early 1970's.

If we remain in League 1, he's the Dembele replacement.

If we go up, hopefully he's Dembele's understudy (wishful thinking on a couple of fronts!).

We've had a lot of stick for sending Apter back to Tranmere, I was more in the camp of taking a longer term view with him was the right move rather than having 15-20 minutes off the bench every game but I can definately see the alternative view. I just wonder whether he'd have signed a new contract without the certainty he was able to complete the season with Tranmere and play every week.

If we remain in League 1, he's the Dembele replacement.

If we go up, hopefully he's Dembele's understudy (wishful thinking on a couple of fronts!).

We've had a lot of stick for sending Apter back to Tranmere, I was more in the camp of taking a longer term view with him was the right move rather than having 15-20 minutes off the bench every game but I can definately see the alternative view. I just wonder whether he'd have signed a new contract without the certainty he was able to complete the season with Tranmere and play every week.
I must say every time I've seen him play he has never stuck out. Even with the kids I thought Lescotts son or Squires looked better prospects.

I'd love Dembele to sign, he's destined for big things.

@aussie1 you are far too kind! The very next match after the Rhodes sending off, that shouldn't have been, we once more get a 'pratfall' of clowns! Where do they dig them up from? And does their training consist of looking through a hole in a partition whilst the Clownmeister in Chief pokes them in the eye with a sharp pencil? 🤷

@aussie1 you are far too kind! The very next match after the Rhodes sending off, that shouldn't have been, we once more get a 'pratfall' of clowns! Where do they dig them up from? And does their training consist of looking through a hole in a partition whilst the Clownmeister in Chief pokes them in the eye with a sharp pencil? 🤷
Agree Karl. The standard of refs and linesmen in this league so far that I've seen has been some of the worst I've ever seen. Do the FA look back on these games at all? You'd think there would be some sort of performance reviews taking place wouldn't you (happens in Aussie rugby league)? After all, they're getting paid to do a job really badly....

Agree Karl. The standard of refs and linesmen in this league so far that I've seen has been some of the worst I've ever seen. Do the FA look back on these games at all? You'd think there would be some sort of performance reviews taking place wouldn't you (happens in Aussie rugby league)? After all, they're getting paid to do a job really badly....
I'm astounded we don't have goal line technology at this level, I just assumed we had..

I'm astounded we don't have goal line technology at this level, I just assumed we had..
Whilst we (L1 & L2 clubs) are feeding off the crumbs from the PL table we seem to be stuck with rank amateurs officiating and the lottery of "winning" favourable decisions. Usually if a ref or lino can't see something they don't give it. But that brings you back to the Rhodes and even the Lavery sending off. They both acted on something they imagined they'd seen. In Lavery's case the panel of clowns at appeal all imagined they'd seen something to this day I can't fathom! The lad was grabbed by the throat and thrown on the floor and served a 3 match ban! 🤷