Chairboys away | Page 9 | Vital Football

Chairboys away

The starting lineup was an act of self-sabotage by Maloney not dissimilar to Charlton at home.

Just as on that night you knew we were in serious trouble as soon as the eleven was published and the pitiful half of 'football' that followed was grimly predictable. As was Shaun's now-customary halftime triple substitution to cover up yet another disaster of his own making.

Maloney made numerous comments earlier in the season about picking players and formations based on how he reads the next opponent over what might have worked against the previous one. They were extremely alarming to anyone who believes in the concept of momentum and team chemistry (as many managers do) and go some way to explaining why performances have been so consistently inconsistent from game to game all season.

Cramming a third CB into a settled defence from Leyton Orient while dropping M. Smith - leaving the inexperienced S. Smith and Adeeko at the mercy of Wycombe's midfield bullies - were yet more examples of Maloney trying to be the smartest in the room only to end up outsmarting himself.

That it keeps happening suggests he isn't learning and why anyone thinks it'll change next season is beyond me when it's been a hallmark of his entire managerial career thus far.

Spend in the summer will be minimal and the squad will largely be as is with maybe three or four modest additions at most. A largely similar side coupled with raised expectations doesn't bode well for a manager who has gone out of his way to tell us that his approach to football won't change.

That's the bizarre thing, mind it's what you get from inconsistent teams. Not saying it will happen, but would anyone really be that surprised if we got 7 points from Blackpool, Lincoln and Portsmouth, but only 2 or 3 from Vale, Burton and Cambridge?

If you couldn't afford to watch many games this season so you just decided to pay for a handful of games against the top few sides - you'd have pretty much seen all of our good performances and not missed much by skipping the rest.

The starting lineup was an act of self-sabotage by Maloney not dissimilar to Charlton at home.

Just as on that night you knew we were in serious trouble as soon as the eleven was published and the pitiful half of 'football' that followed was grimly predictable. As was Shaun's now-customary halftime triple substitution to cover up yet another disaster of his own making.

Maloney made numerous comments earlier in the season about picking players and formations based on how he reads the next opponent over what might have worked against the previous one. They were extremely alarming to anyone who believes in the concept of momentum and team chemistry (as many managers do) and go some way to explaining why performances have been so consistently inconsistent from game to game all season.

Cramming a third CB into a settled defence from Leyton Orient while dropping M. Smith - leaving the inexperienced S. Smith and Adeeko at the mercy of Wycombe's midfield bullies - were yet more examples of Maloney trying to be the smartest in the room only to end up outsmarting himself.

That it keeps happening suggests he isn't learning and why anyone thinks it'll change next season is beyond me when it's been a hallmark of his entire managerial career thus far.

Spend in the summer will be minimal and the squad will largely be as is with maybe three or four modest additions at most. A largely similar side coupled with raised expectations doesn't bode well for a manager who has gone out of his way to tell us that his approach to football won't change.
This is 100% spot on. A manager who no doubt loves the club but a manager who is too stubborn to change and simplify his ways. Not only does he constantly change his team, he constantly rotates his formation during a game. Repetition and momentum work in football but he can’t see it which is the mad thing about it all because the manager who tries to outsmart and outthink the opposition is blind to the bleeding obvious about his own team.

This is 100% spot on. A manager who no doubt loves the club but a manager who is too stubborn to change and simplify his ways. Not only does he constantly change his team, he constantly rotates his formation during a game. Repetition and momentum work in football but he can’t see it which is the mad thing about it all because the manager who tries to outsmart and outthink the opposition is blind to the bleeding obvious about his own team.
Could injuries have forced his hand at team selection?

I see Josh was back to auditioning for the lead role in the Nutcracker Suite...what the hell is that limp little jump in the air when the ball is dropping from a punt forward ?... sorry time is up for him and Mr Invisible Adeeko and the manager is steaming ahead to join them in the waste bin.

Stick some rhyming words at the end of each line and that's your 12th man sorted this week!
Typical of you to call it bollocks and yet can't be arsed to read the posts!
That's what I'm hoping for Sid. Saves using my own wild imagination when I can just use the output of others instead.

From the few posts I'd read, "bollocks" seemed reasonably fair ... in my opinion ... though I will read everything fully of course before posting anything else.

I saw your post last night, and so knew I wanted to post a response first thing ... but maybe that's also just typical of me.

Any road ... into the fire we go ...

That first half was fucking woeful. Wycombe were awful but we were far worse. I wasn't expecting is to turn up tonight as we rarely do against teams outside the top 6, but we took lacklustre to a new level.

I was expecting Wycombe might be in our face trying to rough us up and drag us into a scrap but they haven't even done that. Awful mistakes from Scott Smith and Tickle to concede a goal from a throw in but whole team been shocking.

Zero press, movement, urgency or attempt to go forward. All we are doing is pumping it forward, no attempt to play any football.

No idea how many times we have to start Adeeko and Scot Smith in midfield before Maloney realise it never works. One of them you can probably carry, but two lightweight players who can't win a tackle or create anything is asking for trouble. It's a joke Shaw doesn't start ahead of both if he's fit, but he's been left on the bench.

I've seen more intensity in early pre season games when everyone isn't match fit and taking it easy.

Absolutely pathetic performance from us.

Wycombe are absolutely garbage though so if we can be bothered in the second half and actually have a go we should be able to still win.
you know its bad. reely bad. when king starts his post with this.

Kerr is injured, as was McManaman. Jordan Jones was brought back early from an injury and was rested. Matt Smith was also rested.

Time for bed, night night all.
I see you were trying to fight the good fight TB ... trying to inject a little common sense ...though the search for a vein must have been in vain. (D' ya see what I did there?;) ).

Right, having read every single post, I'm pretty comfortable with having used the word "bollocks" to describe the majority of last night's reaction to the game.

All of these things have happened, yet amazingly, it seems that it's all on the manager, not the players:
Pathetic performance, changing the team, not changing the team, could/should have scored a ponful in the 2nd half, poor player motivation, chucking points away, players proving how bad they are ... yet not also how good they are, ... when are we going to accept that we're watching an inconsistent mid table team, with limited experience, struggling to break down stubborn, well organised teams.

"He'll have to go" ! :arrghh: ... 10th (on points acquired) in the league, with a team of (nah, we've done that to death) ... it's really not worth the effort responding to such a myopic outlook.

Making comments about player selections/non-selections without any reference (or knowledge of) the reasoning or facts ... but of course, it's far easier that way. as It seems that one level of ignorance excuses another.

I suppose that lots of what's posted is simply the social meeja equivalent of "tha'll si mi ner moo-er" ... it's simply a flounce to say "look at me, I'm all upset". Poor little things.

Could injuries have forced his hand at team selection?
Maybe but what about every other game this season? How often have we kept the same starting 11? If we have to make 3,4 or 5 chances because of injuries each game then that needs looking into. Was Liam Shaw injured again yesterday because he was fit enough for the bench on Saturday and surely his attributes would have been good against Wycombe?

Right, having read every single post, I'm pretty comfortable with having used the word "bollocks" to describe the majority of last night's reaction to the game.

All of these things have happened, yet amazingly, it seems that it's all on the manager, not the players:
Pathetic performance, changing the team, not changing the team, could/should have scored a ponful in the 2nd half, poor player motivation, chucking points away, players proving how bad they are ... yet not also how good they are, ... when are we going to accept that we're watching an inconsistent mid table team, with limited experience, struggling to break down stubborn, well organised teams.

"He'll have to go" ! :arrghh: ... 10th (on points acquired) in the league, with a team of (nah, we've done that to death) ... it's really not worth the effort responding to such a myopic outlook.

Making comments about player selections/non-selections without any reference (or knowledge of) the reasoning or facts ... but of course, it's far easier that way. as It seems that one level of ignorance excuses another.

I suppose that lots of what's posted is simply the social meeja equivalent of "tha'll si mi ner moo-er" ... it's simply a flounce to say "look at me, I'm all upset". Poor little things.
You are correct, the players have to take some of the blame and responsibility, as does the manager. To absolve the manager of the blame and try to force your opinion by insulting a growing number of supporters is poor!