Player of the year do | Page 2 | Vital Football

Player of the year do

One of the sponsors themselves has said today they were quoted £1500 for a table of ten, ie £150 each and politely declined the offer.
I suppose you can’t blame the club for trying to cash in but there is a limit to what people and companies will pay.

Can see the headlines on the “Fans Forum” now.

All the seats get sold to sponsors, so no fans there -

“GFC on a money grab and not thinking of the supporters, got scally written all over it”.

Some tickets left over for fans -

“GFC money grabbing and sponsors not interested, got scally written all over it”.

Gills Horse is clearly that Perry bloke from facebook

Now that remark IS below the belt PuB 😳

G_H is a great source of info and news imho. Just hope he doesn’t pull the trigger early again like this time 😉

I noticed Fred’s been on Twitter suggesting we should have 2x POTY’s. One for corporates, one for fans. Not sure how that could work. But maybe an idea have a separate fancy “do” or paying function for fans to meet players and staff at end of season. I reckon the club might look into something like that if demand is there.
I always assumed he was Tommy Trewblu.

That made I larf 😂

It’s the semantics I’ve got wrong here imo. To say fans not welcome is hyperbole anyway. But is patently not true it appears. The correct wording here is they are welcome but once the sponsors have first refusal - which is understandable, but still could lead to no regular ST holders or fans being there.

I am loathed to be negative about the club now with the current regime, so I’ll engage my brain the next time something like this pops up, and assume for the best, and not the worst as I’ve done here.

I am loathed to be negative about the club now with the current regime, so I’ll engage my brain the next time something like this pops up, and assume for the best, and not the worst as I’ve done here.

All good G_H. That’s the thing that separates that fans forum and makes it worse imho.

Too many folk on there prefer to assume the worst of anything and spread rumours to that effect. Those rumours then become gospel in other fans minds and it escalates.

You even see some fans perpetuating rumours from years ago that were subsequently proven to be false, but they state them as still true.

I think as Trev commented to the post on X, it makes sense to open up the Factory to fans for a much lower entry fee and then encouraging players to go down from the Great Hall and mingle with them after the awards have been given out. They could perhaps have a live feed of the event going in there too.

I think as Trev commented to the post on X, it makes sense to open up the Factory to fans for a much lower entry fee and then encouraging players to go down from the Great Hall and mingle with them after the awards have been given out. They could perhaps have a live feed of the event going in there too.

They actually did do this last year, but with ticket holders only - was brilliant. Hence my eagerness to go again 😂

The correct wording would have been "POTY tickets being sold in exactly the same way as they usually are" ;)

Let’s be honest, that is still a bit crap for the ordinary fan isn’t it. But as I said, shows how well we’re doing commercially.

I still find it strange they put the tickets available to buy the other day - I assume in error.

No need for the apologies GH on here. We know you’re a good egg.

I’ve gone in on the club with two feet, when I shouldn’t have done really. The right thing to do is say sorry mate. Although I am technically right (if we sell out to sponsors), but I should’ve asked - rather than assumed. Lesson learnt.

Shows how things have changed that in prior years it was the fault of Scally providing crap misleading / insufficient information, but this year the fans feel the need to apologise for the same crap misleading / insufficient information.

If multiple people drew the same conclusion from the information that was provided (prior to clarification) then that would suggest an issue with the messaging rather than the fans at fault for misunderstanding.

Not sure why an apology was necessary considering the post was that there were rumours and it looks bad if true.

Not sure why an apology was necessary considering the post was that there were rumours and it looks bad if true.

I’m apologising as I’ve gone in with two feet on the club and just assumed it was correct, without asking properly. I’ve since deleted my original tweet, but it was more of a statement of outrage if true that fans aren’t welcome at all, rather than consulting the club on it. It’s created unnecessary rumour, although I do maintain it still reads that if sponsors sell out we get nothing.

I’m apologising as I’ve gone in with two feet on the club and just assumed it was correct, without asking properly. I’ve since deleted my original tweet, but it was more of a statement of outrage if true that fans aren’t welcome at all, rather than consulting the club on it. It’s created unnecessary rumour, although I do maintain it still reads that if sponsors sell out we get nothing.

At worst it evoked memories of Frank Doberman

I have to disagree, last years one was excellent with a great mix of both types of people. Glad to hear that’s not changing!
Glad you enjoyed last year but the old POTY does were all about players and ordinary fans. Utterly different to what goes on today and I entirely understand why that is so. I'm not having a pop at the club, sponsors, or anyone else.

We were extremely fortunate with the sort of events we enjoyed in past years. Very few clubs ran similar ones. I think it was all down to the independence of supporters organisations and the fact the club was entirely relaxed about that.

We now have an ownership back in time with supporters and that provides opportunity. A more basic ordinary supporters do, cheap admission, a few drinks and speeches and everyone would be happy.

Glad you enjoyed last year but the old POTY does were all about players and ordinary fans. Utterly different to what goes on today and I entirely understand why that is so. I'm not having a pop at the club, sponsors, or anyone else.

We were extremely fortunate with the sort of events we enjoyed in past years. Very few clubs ran similar ones. I think it was all down to the independence of supporters organisations and the fact the club was entirely relaxed about that.

We now have an ownership back in time with supporters and that provides opportunity. A more basic ordinary supporters do, cheap admission, a few drinks and speeches and everyone would be happy.

I can see why the club have moved on from those times and involved sponsors, if I were spending thousands a year with the club I would want first refusal on most things. Likewise it is great to see how engaged the club are with businesses.

But (and I am possibly being too idealistic here) I don't like how football has been monetised so much even down at our level - as you say it used to be about the fans at these events.

I get the club has to make money and equally as I said before, sponsors will want first refusal.

But if sponsors sell this out, there will be nothing for fans left - that is how I interpret Joe's tweet (not sure if I have read it wrong!?).

There needs to be a happy medium where every day fans aren't inadvertently shunned from being able to go.

I remember the old Stanley Ballroom POTY do's. Great fun and a good end to the season but times have changed and corporate income is what will help push to club forwards. If the great hall isn't big enough for demand that's a nice problem to have.

I still think Trev's suggestion is the best compromise. Life stream it to the factory and have the players mingle after.

We won't please everyone but that's hard to do these days