MATCH THREAD v Villa 11 th March 13-00 ko | Page 10 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v Villa 11 th March 13-00 ko

Hi LT,
Get your point, and I know it was to Skelly, however I'm happy that.
We kept a clean sheet.
We bagged four goals (differing scorers) against a top four team, who haven't conceded this type of score in ages, we dominated midfield, their midfield are no slouches. All away from home.
I don't accept 'tired team' from Villa, no one ever cut us any slack when we were in Europe.
For me we are doing OK and as I've said on our day we can dominate and beat any team in the Prem.
Hi Niall,

But wasn't that always the Spurs way, being able to beat any team on any given day, but always just not on enough days.

All true Skelly, but playing well in the first half shouldn't preclude a good second performance. It's a cop out to state how difficult it is. You don't shoot, you don't score, simple as. I don't base my comments about a game on our development, but on our current potential with the squad we have. Of course we are much better on the eye from last season but if Ange isn't satisfied, why should we be?
I thought we managed the game a lot better & for that reason i wasn't opposed to us standing off. At times our Kamikaze approach really hurts us. It's all about moderation & today we got it just right.

All true Skelly, but playing well in the first half shouldn't preclude a good second performance. It's a cop out to state how difficult it is. You don't shoot, you don't score, simple as. I don't base my comments about a game on our development, but on our current potential with the squad we have. Of course we are much better on the eye from last season but if Ange isn't satisfied, why should we be?

The extension to that though process goes before the "don't shoot" part though. For me, it's more about "don't pass, don't assist". Emery gets it. In that fist half, apart from the Romero and Biss gifts, most of Villa's play was through mid-range passing. They got that ball in behind our midfield. Of course, we did well to hold our line and play them offside at times, but we did look vulnerable in some one on one positions. Take the same scenario with Spurs and we just start playing 5-a-side passes and letting our opposition get behind the ball. We were just trying to short pass our way to a goal, hence no chances created.

This bugs me with Ange. He should be smarter and let his players try more elaborate passing. That will put them on the stretch more.

We did some other things well in the first half though.

Missed the game today. Looking forward to MOTD. Great stuff from the lads and the manager though. 0-4 against one of our rivals for CL is a great result whatever the weather.
Shame Woolwich remain on top. Although that result seemed like it keeps them both in the race.

It beggars belief that some of us are whinging about today's performance! It's the Premier League, there are NO easy games!

What a result against a good Villa team who are very well established. Ange got it right

Nah, I think there has been a nice balance again. I love that Spurs fans want more and more and more out of this manager and squad. It's a good sign that the club is evolving.

The only negative out of today will be if we hear bad news about VDV tomorrow morning. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it is nothing serious. Then we can hopefully bring Richi back into the fold very soon and get even more depth.

Nah, I think there has been a nice balance again. I love that Spurs fans want more and more and more out of this manager and squad. It's a good sign that the club is evolving.

The only negative out of today will be if we hear bad news about VDV tomorrow morning. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it is nothing serious. Then we can hopefully bring Richi back into the fold very soon and get even more depth.
Only Spurs fans would complain about a 4-0 win with 70% possession, it really does make my arse itch with frustration. I think a lot of us need to start following Brighton or something, it really does make me slap my forehead at times.

VDV is vital, however this is why we brought in Dragusin. Let's see!

Only Spurs fans would complain about a 4-0 win with 70% possession, it really does make my arse itch with frustration. I think a lot of us need to start following Brighton or something, it really does make me slap my forehead at times.

VDV is vital, however this is why we brought in Dragusin. Let's see!
Read through the comments and can't see anyone complaining. I see points and observations being made ....as they should be. I see 'I wish this or that' but again as it should be. I think everyone is over the proverbial moon at the result, most of us predicted a win, don't think anyone predicted 4 tho. It's a forum and we all see and say things differently, but luckily we all want the same in the end.
It's like the mom results and player marks, we all see things differently, but it makes it interesting.

Hi Niall,

But wasn't that always the Spurs way, being able to beat any team on any given day, but always just not on enough days.
Well for me, LT it was, a very good result against a team in the top 4 who played 5 at the back.
We limited them to 1 shot on target.
Broke down their defence, and 4 yes 4 different players scored for us.
Yup I'll echo LC 70 % possession, and all away from home, whilst you say it's, 'always the Spurs way' we've went toe to toe, against all the top teams Liverpool, Man C, Man U etc, I do think we've held our own against them all, no 4 - 0 drubbings that I can see.
We're on a rebuild and still finding our feet, I just think 4-0 away from home against top 4 is pretty decent, and should be enjoyed, rather than criticised.

What an excellent performance, probably our best of the season. The league table normally doesn't lie, whereby going into yesterday's match my main concern was that we didn't lose, and I fully expected a draw. To produce a performance and result like that fully exceeded all my expectations. We were so good that Cash couldn't get anywhere near close enough to maiming any of our players. His captain got himself sent off giving a pretty good impression, no doubt triggered by the frustration of being played off the park.

After one or two 'over the top' early threats Villa were dreadful throughout, we totally outclassed them. They started fuffing around in their own third early on, a tactic which was always going to cost them a goal which duly arrived when we were gifted the all important second goal. Emery got his tactics totally wrong, he clearly set up defensively to negate us, whilst misguidedly retaining a belief that his team were good enough to go toe to toe with us and beat us. Wrong.

Villa and United are not the real threat to our finishing top four and qualifying for the CL. We are a better team than either of them. Our biggest threats are a remaining fixture list containing matches against teams who are maybe, and I stress maybe, better than us, together with other fixtures against teams whose sole ambition will be to stop us playing. Our biggest weakness remains the dropping of points against teams we should be beating, by virtue of the negative tactics they employ. The Fulham game next weekend will be interesting as regards whether we can reproduce the type of unstoppable performance we saw yesterday, or at the very least, find a way. Every game now needs to be a Cup Final, until that fourth place is sewn up.

I seldom comment about individual performances, for me it is all about the Club and the team. It is gratifying therefore to see how this squad really do seem to be developing as a 'together' unit, whether they are playing regularly or not, with no room for those for whom it is all about themselves. One general observation though concerns Sonny's inspirational performances since returning from Asia. He really does seem to be developing into an outstanding leader, something I would never have expected despite having always been one of his greatest fans.

What an excellent performance, probably our best of the season. The league table normally doesn't lie, whereby going into yesterday's match my main concern was that we didn't lose, and I fully expected a draw. To produce a performance and result like that fully exceeded all my expectations. We were so good that Cash couldn't get anywhere near close enough to maiming any of our players. His captain got himself sent off giving a pretty good impression, no doubt triggered by the frustration of being played off the park.

After one or two 'over the top' early threats Villa were dreadful throughout, we totally outclassed them. They started fuffing around in their own third early on, a tactic which was always going to cost them a goal which duly arrived when we were gifted the all important second goal. Emery got his tactics totally wrong, he clearly set up defensively to negate us, whilst misguidedly retaining a belief that his team were good enough to go toe to toe with us and beat us. Wrong.

Villa and United are not the real threat to our finishing top four and qualifying for the CL. We are a better team than either of them. Our biggest threats are a remaining fixture list containing matches against teams who are maybe, and I stress maybe, better than us, together with other fixtures against teams whose sole ambition will be to stop us playing. Our biggest weakness remains the dropping of points against teams we should be beating, by virtue of the negative tactics they employ. The Fulham game next weekend will be interesting as regards whether we can reproduce the type of unstoppable performance we saw yesterday, or at the very least, find a way. Every game now needs to be a Cup Final, until that fourth place is sewn up.

I seldom comment about individual performances, for me it is all about the Club and the team. It is gratifying therefore to see how this squad really do seem to be developing as a 'together' unit, whether they are playing regularly or not, with no room for those for whom it is all about themselves. One general observation though concerns Sonny's inspirational performances since returning from Asia. He really does seem to be developing into an outstanding leader, something I would never have expected despite having always been one of his greatest fans.
Great post Smithy .
I just thought we saw the squad getting all the training together yesterday .
It was so difficult picking a man of the Match .

Can anyone differentiate between McGinns tackle and Cash’s assault . How one didn’t receive a red card and the other one rightly did I will never know .

I loved it when Bents had a dig at Cash towards the end .
You saw Cash turn around to make an issue of it , but quickly shut up when he saw who it was.
It tends to be forgotten in the light of the Bentancur incident, that in our previous fixture against them Cash put Doherty out for six months with a dreadful challenge. I have no respect for a Club that continues to select a player whose only credentials are to cripple the opposition.

Fantastic result, brilliant performance especially from all in the midfield Sarr, Biss, Madders.
At last the 'dirtiest team' in the league caught out
And Bent even got a nibble at Cash.
Great result, all round.
Hope PY can post on this one.
Give him the points Walt /US for that result he deserves em..
I posted on the Predictor League thread that I gave him five bonus points for naming all four scorers … it would have been ten points but he got the scorers in reverse order . …. Kin useless .

Hey guys, I am ok. I just moved into a new house over the weekend...so crazy busy....all I could do was ask Google the score....boo!!! Great win!!!!!
Trust you to move house on a day when you could have sat back and watched a great performance !!!!

Hope it’s all gone well mate .
It truly was a great game .

The first of many over the run in …. Villa just looked lost . Completely outplayed .

It tends to be forgotten in the light of the Bentancur incident, that in our previous fixture against them Cash put Doherty out for six months with a dreadful challenge. I have no respect for a Club that continues to select a player whose only credentials are to cripple the opposition.
What got me with the Doherty tackle was that Cash got up , after crippling him , and did a fist pump…!
He should have been sent off for just doing that , it showed it was a deliberate action .

It looks to be inbred in their system , McGinns tackle was a leg breaker had Udogie been standing on the other leg .
I can sort of understand a dodgy tackle when players are going for the ball, but McGinn and Cash don’t .

Anyone see the VAR cop out when Doku kicked a bindipper in the chest in the last minute .
I was amazed Klippity didn’t get another present on the longest farewell in the history of football.