The Mighty Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur Match Thread | Page 36 | Vital Football

The Mighty Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur Match Thread

Got to be honest I've had a miserable day from the moment I woke up and didn't have any enthusiasm for this game by the time I was actually leaving to go it. I felt cold about it is the best way of describing it. I was in a poor mood and thus didn't believe we would get anything.

First half there was little to separate the teams. Both got in good situations in the final third but neither did anything. First goal benefited from a lucky deflection putting perfectly to Sarr. Then we blew up for the second. Why Konsa thought the ball to Teilemans was on is beyond me.

At the point of going 2 down I didn't believe that we deserved to be losing at alll let alone by 2. Even after Mcginns red they didn't particularly dominate, not that they needed to being 2 up tbf. Last 10 minutes of regular time then extra time really showed that we were a man down and they ran us ragged. Honesty announcing the 10 minutes of extra time just after the 3rd goal seemed like a personal "fuck you" to any fan that stays to the end.

I've seen a replay of the red and I still don't think it's a straight red. Poor challenge, a booking and final warning certainly but not a red. Utterly stupid thing to do though from Mcginn who was steaming around all over the pitch in the minute or so preceding the red. We will miss him badly in the next 3.

Crap day, the type of game that can blow up a season. Beat Ajax then West Ham and it's not the end of the world but lose on of them and I'll be worried to be honest.

Sometimes you just have to take a beating and we've not had many beatings in the last year so I'll take it on the chin and move on. We need to shape up though because it'd be a crying shame to let what has been a wonderful season fall away.

I’ll be honest, having reflected on it, today I was quite ashamed by us.

A really important match in the battle for 4th and we played with such a negative mindset. We set up very defensively, just kept giving the ball back to them, and our focus was on stopping them rather than focusing on our attack which has been so good all season. The long throws into their box in the first half took me back to Smith’s last days where we didn’t know what the hell we were trying to do.

Then to give away two really poor goals within a minute is scandalous. Right after this we looked like we might get a goal which would have got us back in the game, then McGinn makes an appalling tackle that he was never ever going to get away with. That sealed our fate.

We haven’t beaten a top half team since Arsenal in early December. We’ve played important home games since against Newcastle, Man Utd and Tottenham and lost them all. Today was a horrible day and the worrying thing is of our last 10 games, 6 or 7 of them are against top half teams, including our next 3 games where we have no McGinn. I have this sickening feeling that we are seeing 2009 all over again, we messed up big time today. I’m starting to think we’ll never see this club play in the champions league ever again.

Think I might need to take some time off for a few weeks, my mental health really took a battering today. There are more important things in life than football although you wouldn’t know it given how much our lives can get absorbed by it.

That's the worry - coming after the Newcastle and Chelsea home defeats - the pattern seems to be we can only beat the poorer sides at home......

Got to be honest I've had a miserable day from the moment I woke up and didn't have any enthusiasm for this game by the time I was actually leaving to go it. I felt cold about it is the best way of describing it. I was in a poor mood and thus didn't believe we would get anything.

Same.

Woke up to a shit, wet, gray day, and could just visualise the big smiles on the faces of Madison, Brennan and Son, and even felt Werner would do something. Could have won a fortune if I bet on it.

I'm done with being positive about big Villa games, I always fear the worst, but it's incredible when they completely outdo themselves.

View attachment 72048

Absolutely dumbass tackle but he was the only who appeared to give a toss and just before that red had worked really hard to get the ball back. The rest of them didn’t seem very aware.
I think there is a point to be made about the rest of the team not matching his intensity. Frustrated with the soft goals and frustrated nobody else is putting a foot in.

Massively missed Kamara today. We’re a soft side without McGinn and Kamara.

Tactics keep changing and not for the better and we now appear to be starting games with more of a negative attitude of let's first of all make sure we don't lose rather than let's go out and win the bloody match. Unai is also slow to react when things are going wrong.

As the home team, his tactics today was far too negative and played right into Spurs hands.

That's the worry - coming after the Newcastle and Chelsea home defeats - the pattern seems to be we can only beat the poorer sides at home......
We massively lack athleticism. It’s been a huge issue since MoN left. We bring in good footballers but not enough athletes who are also good footballers.

JJ and Kamara make an enormous difference to how we play. Tielemens is the midfield version of Ings. A lot of quality but can’t get around the pitch and adds nothing defensively. Compare them to Watkins and JJ, it’s night and day.

Tactics keep changing and not for the better and we now appear to be starting games with more of a negative attitude of let's first of all make sure we don't lose rather than let's go out and win the bloody match. Unai is also slow to react when things are going wrong.

As the home team, his tactics today was far too negative and played right into Spurs hands.

Far too slow, he waits until it is too late and it’s already gone wrong. I really wish he would change this trait of his, it could be his undoing.

Well that was a fucking disaster from start to finish, Not one of us would have started with that team. Very strange then with 3 centre backs in the field we concede a tap-in from Madison of all people, More fucking around at the back and its 2-0.
Thankfully I went at 90 minutes so its only 3-0 in my head, 3 shots 3 goals again

I keep thinking about the goals we’ve conceded from crosses. On two occasions it’s been crosses whipped in on the run with our defenders facing our own goal. McTomminey for Man.U and today Maddison.
It’s a great weapon. A pity we don’t use it instead of checking constantly back and playing in crosses to a defence facing away from their goal.

We were the better side in the first half, then conceded a sloppy goal just after the break and then just completely collapsed. Not the first time we’ve not been switched on and conceded early in a half it’s probably happened around 15 times this season.

4-0 at home is a full on battering so none of them deserve any credit today, I don’t think any of them played well. 3 games now without McGinn to make matters worse. Just hope we are able to limp home into 5th place at the end of the season - our record vs others around us is too bad for us to deserve top 4 is the unfortunate truth

Last edited:
Since Xmas we have been poor, even Forest could have pulled a 3 goal lead back. Four big games at home, we've lost the lot. Squad simply isnt good/strong enough to maintain the first half of the season progress. Injuries and now suspensions, a bloody hard run in...
Offer me 6th place now and I'd take it.

I keep thinking about the goals we’ve conceded from crosses. On two occasions it’s been crosses whipped in on the run with our defenders facing our own goal. McTomminey for Man.U and today Maddison.
It’s a great weapon. A pity we don’t use it instead of checking constantly back and playing in crosses to a defence facing away from their goal.
Spurs front 3 were practising that before KO and the one Son Scored. they were nailing it time after time. We were fucking with the goalkeepers shooting at the other goalkeepers.
Perhaps we should have Ollie and co, practising finishing before the game.

We where marginally the better side first half. However we failed to make anything of the 2 or 3 decent openings we had.

A lucky deflection and a fantastic cross put us behind. Konsa,s mistake and at 2 nil we were struggling.

McGinns rush of blood sealed our fate. Tottenham were absolutely ruthless. We have currently lost that. UTV.