Favourite ever player ( not just the best ever) | Vital Football

Favourite ever player ( not just the best ever)

jeffs right

Vital Football Hero
Probably done before but surely a nice interlude from falling out and arguing. Well I've started it so I'll go with my teen hero Johnny Rogers. I go back further but this fella was a belter.
Please feel free to add your own to this.

I can never get past Johnny King. It wasn't just the football it was the man himself. It was advice , it was protection, it was humour in the dressing room, it was his fearless approach...all the young lads looked up to him as the leader and loved him for that.

RIP JK

Geoff Davies. I was still starstruck the first time I met him at the (then) JJB when I was a 40 something. They say never meet your heroes but I'm so glad I did meet him. A real gent.

So hard to choose as so many great players have come & gone through my 46 years as a supporter. But I'll go for the man who Paul Jewell once described as "the best professional I have ever worked with."

Step forward Arjan DeZeuuw

I drew up a short list first consisting of Methven, Boyce, Liddell, Lowe, DeZeeuw, and (as a pair) Roberts & Ellington. Final decision is David Lowe.

Almost identical to my short list; I would have the addition of Lee McCulloch in place of Methven who I am too young to have seen play.

So hard to choose a favourite but my childhood self, sat in the pre-match wagon wheel club or whatever it was called, Phoenix Stand at Spring Park loved Andy Liddell.

This is a perpetually changing response from me. For a long time, it was Hinnigan, pushed close by Methven and Kelly, but then Eammon O'Keefe was always knocking on the door ... and how can anyone ignore a player who leap-frogged a pile of players, and stared/laughed in the face of Big Dunc, Jimmy B.

Who am I kidding? ... the beautiful Mr Gomez.

DeZeeuw is the obvious one.

Reece James for me was the most talented (even at the time without any foresight of what he'd go on to to) and i loved his attitude even though he was only a loan.

I really liked Jason Roberts but that seemed to go a bit sour in the final few months unfortunately over a contract dispute between him and the club.

McArthur was another i really appreciated he was a real unsung hero and i think people rated him but didn't appreciate quite how good he really was.

So many to choose from going back fifty odd years for me but by a narrow margin I'm going for Roberto Martinez. A quality player the likes of which we had never seen before in a Latics shirt and he was at the beginning of what was to be the best era in our history.
He was also a true gentleman and was a frequent visitor to schools in the area passing on his knowledge and experiences.
He still has our club in his heart and is always welcome back at the DW.

Excellent question and so hard to answer. We've had some absolute beauties. De Zeeuw, Scharner, Martinez, Boyce, Al-habsi (thanks to Sid for the reminder), were all from far off lands but just got the club and the people from the get go.
On the pitch, it has to be Jordi. It might not have appealed to everyone, but the way his mind worked just felt like we had the kind of player that should be in the Barcelona squad wearing the blue and white of Wigan

Last edited:
Probably Sir Andy Liddell. Signed not long after I'd started going to Springy. Some of the football we played with him, Barlow and Haworth up front was out of this world.

His goals, his jinking runs, those penners

some grates over the time. but my pick is from when footy were pleyed in 2 foot of slutch, clogs and 20lb balls and were still skilful.
the big mon jim fleming.
pleyed alongside the grate gordon milne. and its a toss up between the two. but it goes to jim.

Spot on Brick, Jim Fleming for me an all.