Thoughts on our January Transfer Window | Vital Football

Thoughts on our January Transfer Window

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
Overall, initially I was thinking no “big”, marquee style signing of an outright goalscorer and was a bit disappointed.

However, I think jogills observation is more how I’m thinking now. Nail on the head here for me -

I'm a fan, a spectator. My club's business in this window has increased anticipation for Saturday and I'm looking forward to the game more than usual. I hope and expect the new signings are equally enthused.

We have shipped out what were (at the time of signing) very decent big names in Bonne and Nicholls. They haven’t really worked out, and TBF, our history of signing experienced “names”, and proven goal scorers over the years hasn’t been great.

I am now, like jo, really looking forward to seeing how we go forward with these 3 new, younger, quicker guys. They each have something to prove and I think they will show the hunger (that was maybe previously lacking in our front line) if given the chance and our backing.

Hurtado particularly looks exciting. Being described variously as quick, raw, talented, erratic, Bambi on ice, lot to learn and maybe a dud etc has me really looking forward to what he can do. In that YouTube clip, the thing that stood out for me is he knows how to deal with 1 on 1’s. Lot of pace and strength in those situations, and some quality composed finishes.

Andrews looks a very good pick up to be our 2nd Hawkins style target. He definitely won’t answer our goalscoring problem himself. But target men usually don’t do that. So long as he puts himself about, creates space and occupies the defence and sets up others, job done. And actually his goals for Accy this season are more in less games than any of our strikers so far.

Walker we saw last week and looks promising. If him and Hurtado can get on the end of Hawk/Andrews knock downs from Hutton crosses, we might do well.

Over to you guys. What do you think of our window overall? Good, bad, indifferent?

Last edited:
Decent transfer window business. Got to be seen in the context that the January window is far harder as understandably clubs are more reluctant to sell their prized assets.

Upgrade at RWB.

Action taken to improve our forward line. Injection of direct pace & target man cover.

In an ideal world would like to have seen the arrival of a Kyle Dempsey style ball carrying, driving midfielder.

Surprised that as far as we know Shaun Williams has not had his contract terminated by mutual consent.

Going into tomorrow's game with added excitement looking forward to seeing the new players which must be a sign of a good window.

I broadly agree with everyone's comments, probably apart from the eternal disappointment of no "proven goal scorer" as I never see it as that simple.

Historically, players like Will Grigg, Jaydon Stockley or Cole Stockton will have a hot spell, score goals for one club, then become a complete dud after a "big money" move elsewhere.

Al-Hamadi was playing at our level for a team we beat and has now cost a seven figure amount, moving to Championship level. Will he definitely score goals at that level or drop down again?

Unfair to make any judgement until we see the new guys wear the shirt for a few games, but we seem to have signed rawness, pace and enthusiasm in place of experience and proven technique.

Both Nichols and Bonne have done it in the past but for some unknown reason were not doing it any more. Andrews has said in his interview that he promises to at least provide 100% effort as a minimum. He will have his faults but the hardcore fan base will love that.

Walker may also not quite be at the level we require yet but could become a better player will extensive coaching.

I worry a bit about Hurtado for the usual stereotypical reasons. OK juggling the ball, doing backheels and rabonas, etc, but how will he fare in the sleet at Harrogate with an old school League Two centre back up his 'arris? :hmmm:

Generally though I agree that it was worth a shake of the dice up front and will watch their progress with interest. Hopefully Hutton, Malone and Mahoney can provide the supply they need.

I still think we lack leadership and could have done with the addition of a extra strong midfielder with a decent engine. If Coleman gets injured or suspended, we look very short in that respect.

COY(Super)G !!

I’m happy with the window. Further strong foundations laid in our long term building project with the signings of Hutton and Andrews. Walker may well also turn into a permanent signing if he does well.

I massively prefer these kind of signings to us being a cash cow for a renowned striker a la Marriott, JCH, etc.

I think it has been good.

The front line has been refreshed and the dead wood at the top of the team has left, bar Nadesan.

I expected Williams senior to go and another midfielder - with another midfielder coming in. I don't think Williams will play for us again regardless.

I had hoped for a well-known striker like JCH or A N Other but that was not realsitc and i still worry the goals scored issue may still exist.

I think the overall wage bill may be lighter now as a result as i think the front 2 would have been well paid.

SC and Brad have had a go and we can only thank them for it.

I look forward to Saturday.

Last edited:
I think it has been good.

The front line has been refreshed and the dead wood at the top of the team has left, bar Nadesan.

I expected Williams senior to go and another midfielder - with another midfielder coming in. I don't think Williams will play for us again regardless.

I had hoped for a ewll-known striker like JCH or A N Other but that was not realsitc and i still worry the goals scored issue may still exist.

I think the overall wage bill may be lighter now as a result as i think the front 2 would have been well paid.

SC and Brad have had a go and we can only thank them for it.

I look forward to Saturday.

wx, check your account. I think you’ve been hacked.

(btw, fair summary Id say 👍)

For me shame to see Nichols go it just hasn’t worked for him this season but will be remembered as a driving force in saving us from oblivion last season
Shame Bonne hasn’t worked out either can’t fault his commitment and work rate just needed to convert more chances
As for the new batch maybe young hungry strikers looking to prove themselves could be the answer so let’s get behind them tomorrow

I’ll just post what I’ve texted my Brother. Not sure he is a biggest Gills fan but I like to keep him constantly informed anyway!

Didn’t t get that marquee centre forward signing but we’ve mixed up a bit up front.Two of our high profile strikers have been moved on! Picked up by decent teams. One in league one and another pushing for automatic promotion to it. But they were not clicking for us and weren’t first choice to start so maybe a good bit of business.

Incoming we’ve brought in a good prospect who will provide good cover or completion for our hold up play. Paid a fee Good business. We needed that back up for the Hawk.

The other two are wild cards. Both loans. The Colombian who is raw exiting but unproven and very much still a work in progress and another striker who was tearing it up non league got a move to league one but couldn’t hold a place down. He may get better joy in league 2.

Gills fans seem quite content however If both these latter two don’t perform I can see that turning around quite quickly.

You could say it’s a bold risk, but as it looks like we’ve reduced our wage bill maybe not ambitious as many hoped!

Anyway roll on Saturday. UTG.

Before the window I personally said Walker, S Williams and Alexander or McKenzie to go. I am somewhat surprised we haven't added a midfielder and seen a few go, but on paper our midfield is good, so I am not too disappointed, and in S Williams case, he isn't a bad player to call upon if we ever needed to.

Hutton is an upgrade on Alexander, and all 3 of the strikers brought in are upgrades on L Walker lets be honest. Not convinced they are better than the other 2 who have gone, but ultimately they were part of a strike force with under 30 goals in February - it can't be much worse can it really, despite their obvious ability, I think it was wise to let Bonne and Nichols go with a clean slate.

I think the key is all 3 strikers brought in have something to prove in some form and are young - J Walker will want to prove he can do it in the league, Hurtado has the carrot of playing for Watford at the end of this if he smashes it for us, and Andrews will want to prove to Birmingham and himself that he shouldn't have been let go.

One of the only criticisms of Harris/Galinson transfer era, is we signed too many older players on the way down, probably on their final pay day - needs must at the time, but I do question their determination, compared to a younger buck making their way in the game.

Pretty happy with that.

The players we let go were decent and may well go on to do well at their new clubs (cue lots of “we should never have let them go”) but it was clear things were going stale and needed a refresh.

Looks like we’ve done a decent job of addressing the wage bill with a couple of higher earners moving on, with a few more likely to leave in the summer it should give us a bit of headroom to work with.

Hopefully we’ll also pick up this lad from Welling as another one for the future.

Everyone wanted a big signing up front and they don’t come much bigger than Andrews. Pleased to pick up a young player on a permanent deal, if things go well hopefully we’ll have someone to build an attack around for a while to come. Nice big target for Hutton’s crosses.

Hurtado is a real wildcard signing, no idea which way it’s going to go - and judging by the footage it seems he doesn’t always know which way he’s going to go either. Might be a new cult favourite or maybe someone we barely see in a Gills shirt. Bit of a gamble but more exciting than the usual unready youth teamer or aged journeyman we sometimes pick up.

Looking forward to Sat.

COYG

New players = new excitement and optimism. Not long ago we could only dream of Gills being active in January so thanks again Gallinsons

Mixed feelings. Pleased that we've moved on some deadwood. Nicholls and Bonne on paper should have done well at this level and may do so for their new clubs, but they both didn't do a lot this season, so either they aren't good enough or, worse, couldn't be bothered - either way, right move to ship them out. If they do well for their new clubs, that's a poor show on their behalf for what they did in the first half of the season as GFC. Personally, I would have liked to have seen S Williams and Nadesan moved on too with other players coming in, but they'll have to wait until the end of the season.

I am very pleased with the upgrade at RWB with Hutton coming in. That's just what we needed and credit to the club for seeing that and actually doing something about it unlike the goalscorer situation. Seems like the fuss over his ill-judged video has died down and we can put that behind us. I am also pleased that the management team saw that things weren't working up top and have changed things. Andrews is clearly a good back-up/alternative to Hawkins, who we have obviously needed since last season. He may even bet better; he said in his interview that he has some pace and good on the ball. If that's true, the prospect of playing him and Hawkins together as a battering ram front too is an exciting one! At this level, even if you want to get the ball down and play, every team needs a big man up top and we now have two to challenge for that position.

For me, Hurtado and Walker are quick and exciting, so something different to what we have, but both largely unproven (more so Hurtado), but not that proven goalscorer that we desperately need. Either or both may well click and be just what we need and fire us to promotion, but personally, I think with the moves in and out that we've made, it means we are relying on one or both of them to perform and score and that's a risk for me.

I have to end on a negative note in that we were close to signing a marquee proven striker in the summer. That's what we've lacked all season. We've had a whole month to sort that and months prior to that to tee it up, a number of highly paid staff dedicated to it and seemingly the funds, so why haven't we secured that striker? We clearly haven't learned lessons from the summer and need to sort this out our approach on this front in the summer.

Looking forward not back .Beat of luck to all those who departed Priestfield.
I see Andrews as the real key going forward.If he hits the ground running then Hawkins and he have one part of our stiker force sorted .
The second part is may I say more hit and miss especially in the part that Nadesan will still need to be part of that . Walker walks into the most dependable partner spot .As Hurtado appears to need a lot of coaching judging on comments at best another Ogie at worst I'd rather not say.

Bit too early to say, really. However, certain issues appear to have been addressed in that we`ve improved our speed and physicality with the arrival Hutton and Andrews respectively.

Young Jorge is an interesting addition and could turn out to be one of those players who excites the crowd with an entertaining style.

Josh Walker got off to a great start - all good there.

Pleased that the Gills have made changes in the positions most in need (possible exception being a m/field general) so, overall I`m satisfied with GFC`s actions. As regards to the quality - we`ll have to see

We clearly haven't learned lessons from the summer
We clearly have, we actually identified realistic targets and signed 3 strikers rather than pinning all our hope on blowing the budget on one supposed ‘marquee’ player who was always likely to go elsewhere/nowhere and leaving us desperately scratching around for whoever was out of contract.

We needed some players to put pressure on the opposition when we don’t have the ball. Not really Hawkins game so hopefully the new players will be able to press a bit higher and get the ball back quicker
Really good point, Doctor. An improved ability to press up high may also allow the likes of Jonny Williams, who when fit and operating just behind a front two is a very capable scorer, to chip in with some goals.