Bonne | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bonne

He had more than enough chances to impress and didn't take them. Yes, he wasn't suited to the lone striker role, but his miss at Crewe was bafflingly bad. Even his goal at Walsall (banging in a rebound) almost went overt the bar! On top of that, his body language was awful. Never looked bothered.

Still our top scorer!

I can only go on what I've seen with my own eyes (which is mainly at away games). He appears to have all the right attributes (pedigree, physique etc) but for me, was very underwhelming.

I'm suspecting a really big name signing coming in, given the wages freed up.
Don't know who, but I'd expect a real statement from the club.
Maybe an established championship player or two, a bit like Wrexham are doing.

I can only go on what I've seen with my own eyes (which is mainly at away games). He appears to have all the right attributes (pedigree, physique etc) but for me, was very underwhelming.

Agree FWIW, my reply was half tongue in cheek. Considering the fanfare and optimism around him when he signed he's significantly underperformed, but as others point out, that's probably not entirely his fault.

Good luck to him with the Us, hope he can get firing again. Although it'll make us look silly if he does.

If the rumours that Lyle Taylor was training with us are true, just before Harris got shown the door, Harris has now got the strike partnership at Cambridge that he wanted for us.

Fecking hell. On that basis most of the squad could be out the door today.
I think you could easily make an argument that pretty much any midfielder or forward in our squad, Coleman, Walker, maybe Hawkins and kids aside, could easily have been sold, loaned out or had their contract cancelled, based on their performances this season.

Hopefully Bonne was only on a one-year contract.

People made light of the "driving mishap" but the consequences could have been disastrous for the 3 passengers and the public.

Good riddance. A waste of effort and wages.
We certainly had a stinker of a performance from the team at home to Colchester the following day!
I think the car accident played a large part in that game at least.

Considering the fanfare and optimism around him when he signed he's significantly underperformed, but as others point out, that's probably not entirely his fault.
Was there really a fanfare about it?

When we realised Alfie May was not coming, there was not exactly a great list of positive alternatives and I don't remember many posters even speculating about Bonne.

Then we heard he was training with us, the season started on 5th August and Bonne finally signed on 11th August.

Always seemed more of a marriage of convenience to me. Bonne was without a club, we were short of strikers as Hawkins' injury situation became apparent. Hence, he found himself being used as a target man which he was not known for.

Cambridge are a division higher but do not have a lot of money so I suspect we will still be paying some of his wages.

Was there really a fanfare about it?

When we realised Alfie May was not coming, there was not exactly a great list of positive alternatives and I don't remember many posters even speculating about Bonne.

Then we heard he was training with us, the season started on 5th August and Bonne finally signed on 11th August.

Always seemed more of a marriage of convenience to me. Bonne was without a club, we were short of strikers as Hawkins' injury situation became apparent. Hence, he found himself being used as a target man which he was not known for.

Cambridge are a division higher but do not have a lot of money so I suspect we will still be paying some of his wages.
I’d suspect that Cambridge are picking up all of Bonnie’s salary.
It’s only for four months.
Harris would have been the big pull factor.
Players often re sign for managers they like.
It’s pretty normal in football.
Unfortunately, Clem has no profile or history but that will change if he survives with us for next season.

Hopefully Bonne was only on a one-year contract.

People made light of the "driving mishap" but the consequences could have been disastrous for the 3 passengers and the public.

Good riddance. A waste of effort and wages.

Agree. And wrong for the manager to protect Bonne for the crash and blame it on mechanical fault.

Never performed in a Gills shirt. Glad he’s gone.

Bonne is a proven goalscorer and was not suited to the lone stiker role. I did not think there was any lack of effort and if he is used as a fox in the box he will do well at Cambridge.
Even when he came on a sub at Colchester he was played behind, and less centrally than, Tom Nichols.

Hard to be a fox in the box when you have little opportunity to get in there.

Bonne is another player we've not used properly to get the best out of. I have no problem with the effort, he's just not suited to be a lone striker