JANUARY WINDOW THREAD | Page 24 | Vital Football

JANUARY WINDOW THREAD

Kelman is one of those strange signings in which his goal record doesn't look like he'll do any better than throwing in one of our youth. Could be a deep laying forward and therefore that's why he doesn't score that much.

Happy for him to bang in a hat trick next game and prove me wrong.
We play so deep in our own half that he is probably scouring the market for players capable of scoring from 60 yards.

Baloney may see him as our new Will Grigg. (May)

Grigg is the same type of player as Wyke - a 'fox in the box'. I think if we were playing in a way that was creating lots of chances then Wyke would be as good as you can get at this level. But unfortunately when Wyke plays he's often not getting those chances and he's struggling in more of a target man role.

Again, I disagree. Though we efffectively played ( though some would argue !) a one up top system, it's really 4-2-3-1. meaning that the central one of the 3 is the one supporting the main striker.

Humphrys has (for whatever reason ) lost his mojo ... Let's see what Kelman brings.

I think the issue has been the striker just keeps losing the ball when it's played into them so the 3 trying to support him don't get the opportunity to do that.

More often than not Magennis is poor but there's been a couple of games over the season where he's held the ball well and it's made the world of difference. Those are the games we've looked much better, I think Maloney's style of play he's currently using requires someone who can hold a ball consistently.

If we could play a type of football that didn't need hold up play from a back to goal striker that would be much better as it would get loads more out of Wyke and Humphrys. But if we could do that we probably already would be doing it so it makes me think we aren't able to as it's very hard at this level.

Again that's not saying Kelman hasn't got attributes but for me I think someone who is better at holding up the ball than what we have seemed like the biggest necessity as I think we haven't got anyone that good at it but we try and do it every game.

I think the issue has been the striker just keeps losing the ball when it's played into them so the 3 trying to support him don't get the opportunity to do that.

More often than not Magennis is poor but there's been a couple of games over the season where he's held the ball well and it's made the world of difference. Those are the games we've looked much better, I think Maloney's style of play he's currently using requires someone who can hold a ball consistently.

If we could play a type of football that didn't need hold up play from a back to goal striker that would be much better as it would get loads more out of Wyke and Humphrys. But if we could do that we probably already would be doing it so it makes me think we aren't able to as it's very hard at this level.

Again that's not saying Kelman hasn't got attributes but for me I think someone who is better at holding up the ball than what we have seemed like the biggest necessity as I think we haven't got anyone that good at it but we try and do it every game.

Sounds like we need Emile Heskey mark 2, now he could hold the ball up

Hopefully Kelman doesnt read this forum or SM as he would realise he is not wanted and doomed to failure before he has kicked a ball.

Sounds like we need Emile Heskey mark 2, now he could hold the ball up

Heskey used to get dogs abuse from fans for not being that prolific but was loved by his managers for what he brought to his teams over his career. He was a real difference maker and finding players like that are few and far between these days.

We are going to lose a lot of money again this season. Aspull Marrer. So I don’t think we will be spending money on transfers.

If we didn't have an embargo i think we may have paid out one or two nominal loan or transfer fees, but i think we'd still mostly have used the free and loan market as we have.

That is the reality for most sides at this level and next season (unless they can sell players to raise funds to pay out fees) we'll likely just be like everyone else.

Heskey used to get dogs abuse from fans for not being that prolific but was loved by his managers for what he brought to his teams over his career. He was a real difference maker and finding players like that are few and far between these days.
I really loved Heskey and still got his shirt

Can't we judge Kelman until we've seen him in action? I remember Barlow was known as 'Barn Door' at Everton. Did ok for us.

It's not so much a judgement on his level or ability, it's more a question if the role in our team is something that his strengths will show in.

I rate Humphrys and Wyke but unfortunately neither really have the attributes to do what we ask of our striker currently.

Like I said on the Lang sale, I see no reason for us to spend or invest in players' wages when we have no outside chance of promotion, or relegation, the investment will unlikely result in no change so it is best to use the money to offset losses or towards when we can spend on players. It is what it is. Hopefully by the summer we have an actual structure in place and then some actual clarity on short term, and long term goals from the actual board, and he we want to approach the football side, and not only the business side of things.