MATCH THREAD vBrentford 19-30.. 31 Jan home . | Page 11 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD vBrentford 19-30.. 31 Jan home .

Just seen the highlights on MotD, definitely wasn't our best defensive performance from Romero and VdV. Will wait for the full match replay on Spursplay before passing any further judgement.

Evening folks.
We'll if I ever saw a game of two halves.
Mistake after mistake has cost us so many goals this season.
I can take a team scoring against us but, we're actually giving em goals.
Now how many clean sheets have we had this season, and that's part of the issue, teams, are scoring against us from very few chances, like it or not we need to be a bit more focused defensively.
Again the midfield didn't quite 'tick' right tonite.
With that said those two "Crap' players Richi and Johnson both scored, Udo had a mixed game to say the least.
And for the second game running, I'm shouting FFS give it to Timo, at least it happened tonite, should have happened more tho'
Anyways a wins, a win, yup as usual we made it hard for ourselves and the ref didn't help much.
Mind you we cudda been Chelsea with Tierney as a ref, unbelievable how he's, allowed to referee games.
Next..

Brentford are using lots of the dark arts of the game. Unsurprisingly the ref is as usual is ignoring the rules of the game and allowing it to happen. Then we are falling into the trap and getting wound up.

Muttley will be tearing his hair out at the stadium

I was. When we were 1-0 down, I saw Jensen slowly walk up to a ball on their right wing to take a free-kick. The ball eventually ends up on their left wing for a throw-in. Guess who ends up taking it? Yep, Jensen. In the next move, it ends up with a corner. Guess who ends up taking it? Yep, Jensen again.

David Coote literally let Jensen time waste on 3 consecutive moves even though the entire stadium was screaming at him. Didn't even talk to the player. Pathetic refereeing performance from PGMOL again, blatantly ignoring the rules. Example, Toney's 3rd foul in the 4th minute of the game, a total professional foul.

Lol - I had 2 mates in the Brentford section tonight. My WhatsApp to them 10 mins into the second half was "Football 3 Dark Arts 1"

However, my favourite moment of the night was watching Kulu make a run over to Udogie after the fatal back pass and picking him up. Werner wasn't far behind. Neither of those senior players let a young guy dwell on that moment of madness. They got his head straight back in the game and got him refocused.

This is the new Spurs.

I'd like to get his perspective on Richi, tomorrow. The crowd were up for him, and I'd like to see his take on this.

I've said many times recently that we become a much better team when we upgrade the forward line. Richi fits into this category. He was pretty decent tonight, but lacked any x-factor. Kulu looked so wrong on the right side in the first half whereas Werner was our best attacking outlet. Madds was neat and tidy, but way too predictable. That quartet isn't winning any trophies.

Saying that, what was totally broken behind them was the Bents / Skipp partnership. No platform to build an attacking upon. Skipp isn't up to this level, whereas I can't believe Bents was anywhere near fully fit. Where has that lightning pace gone? He looked half fit and I was happy to hear he had been subbed.

Ironically, our best midfielder tonight was Hojbjerg.

A naive disjointed performance here. Some good moments but Ange definitely needs to start upgrading his man management skills.

This we will just score more than you attitude will become very tiring at some point.

I was disappointed with the lack of leadership than anything else.

Udo was targeted for the first time this season by Frank. He knew his first touch is suspect, and timed the press on him superbly. Top coaching.

Kulu was shocking as well.

Plenty of work to do.

A lot of fair assessments above ..

Some good observations from our roving reporter in the ground .

I think I have to keep in mind that we are STILL a work in progress .,I was getting so frustrated last night watching the game , everything was winding me up .

What is not a work in progress is the PGMOL
. That clown last last night was an utter disgrace to his so called profession .

After several incidents of pathetic time wasting from Brentford , with Muttley screaming at him , we see Maupay pretending he is going to take a throw in . Except he has no intention of taking the throw , he has the ball in his hand , and decides to go walkabout with it , then stops our bloke from trying to take it off of him , to get the game going again , then just throws the ball to the ground .
What does the ref do ? Absolutely fuck all .

Johnson running at speed , getting a counter attack going , gets taken out by a player that (miraculously ) !! was cautioned as to his future conduct in the game ….., I am absolutely certain these referees do not have a clue what cautioning a player means ….. , . I will say it till I am blue in the face , a caution is the referee saying he is closely watching the players future conduct … he is cautioning the player that he must play within the laws and spirit of the game or he SHALL BE REMOVED FROM THE GAME .

The Brentford player had absolutely no intention of playing the ball , was never in any position to get near the ball , and the incident was totally ignored by a gutless , clueless official .

Those two incidents alone deserve to be investigated .
There were many others .

Demoting him to a lower league for a few games is not the answer , it doesn’t help us .

In the cold light of day , I have to realise that we are still work in progress .
We still have three first team players away , we still have two midfield player nowhere near fit .

Put Sarr and Biss in that team last night and Udogie has two other outlets to pass the ball to , in space , and easily found . Both the goals we gave them would probably not have been conceded .

We had our ten games with a full squad , we have had our twelve game s with half a squad , we still have half the midfield that are available playing with sticking plasters on , we have players that have been run into the ground because there was no one available to rotate them with , and we are sitting fourth in the league .
I said last night that I cannot blame Udogie for that back pass ….. it was a freak incident , does anyone know why Toney was there in the first place ?
If Udogie had had a fully fit midfield around him , he wouldn’t have needed to have made that back pass .

So , in the cold light of day , I am quite happy . Ange saw what was happening and made early changes . The team never gave up in its principles , then rose above and didn’t get sucked in and involved in the dark art shit tactics of a manager and team that should be ashamed of himself / themselves this morning .

We have a manager and a team at last . We couldn’t have said that last season .
I hope Bents is ok and not injured again .

Hopefully we can give Sarr some minutes on Saturday .

Hoddle called it in comms. Ange needs to adapt and use game management to see out games, esp in the scenario we found ourselves tonight.
We can’t be all guns blazing, push up, high line etc when at 3-2 with 20 mins to play!
Crazy!!
When we have a full squad again Spesh , I am sure he will be allowed to do what you are saying .

At the moment , the defence are under constant pressure and the attack is lacking because the middle of the field is so depleted .

His options are just not there .

We have all seen how the team can play , at times last night the play was breathtaking.

It is just not sustainable at the moment . Bringing on Dragusin was a sign of his management , but then we lost Maddison………in my opinion , of course.

I've said many times recently that we become a much better team when we upgrade the forward line. Richi fits into this category. He was pretty decent tonight, but lacked any x-factor. Kulu looked so wrong on the right side in the first half whereas Werner was our best attacking outlet. Madds was neat and tidy, but way too predictable. That quartet isn't winning any trophies.

Saying that, what was totally broken behind them was the Bents / Skipp partnership. No platform to build an attacking upon. Skipp isn't up to this level, whereas I can't believe Bents was anywhere near fully fit. Where has that lightning pace gone? He looked half fit and I was happy to hear he had been subbed.

Ironically, our best midfielder tonight was Hojbjerg.
Tactically we got it all wrong in the first half, played too narrow, couldn't get behind them, and they were just outstandingly organised for the first half and for the first time I've seen this season our whole back line was below par.

Our Midfield was poorly led and devoid of ideas in the first half, and we just looked completely disjointed and strangely complacent, with none of the dummy runs that pulls defences apart that we have/try to usually do.

But the way we stood up and hit them in the second half was outstanding, then a freak pass, and we had to hold it together, last 15 mins was squeaky bum time, but then you could see how our defence can play.

Brentford were no mugs, but if it wasn't for Udogie's back pass, we'd have won this fairly easily in the end.

Job done.

Last edited: